Sign in to follow this  

Airbags , overloads , or what???

i have a dodge ram 1500 , we just bought a 23 ft toy hauler , and my truck needs a little bit more stiffness in the rear end , what should i get and how do different systems cost? air bags overloads etc.

get air bags. overloads will make the truck ride like shit all the time. also set up the weight distrabution hitch right and you wont need anything.

i have a dodge ram 1500 , we just bought a 23 ft toy hauler , and my truck needs a little bit more stiffness in the rear end , what should i get and how do different systems cost? air bags overloads etc.

Airbags are the only way to go-totally adjustable for loaded/unloaded conditions, where overloads and additional springs will cause a harsher ride when empty. Firestone airbags are the only way to go-they make kits for just about any application, and have decades of experience in manufacturing air suspension systems for the heavy-truck industry.

One can get a simple add-on, bag kit that bolts in between the springs and frame and needs to be manually inflated/deflated, or go all out and get a complete system that with automatic levelers and on-board compressor.

get air bags. overloads will make the truck ride like shit all the time. also set up the weight distrabution hitch right and you wont need anything.

what do you mean by setting up the ditrebution hitch right??? ive got the torsion bars pretty tight , there on the 3rd link , what else should i do????

Load range E tires for sure. You need the stiff side walls to hold up the increased tongue weight of a toyhauler. You want the trailer to ride level with a full load, bikes gear, water etc. Use a good sway controller and keep your speeds under 65 with lots room to slow down. Your half ton truck doesn't have the same brakes as a 3/4 -1 ton truck.

what do you mean by setting up the ditrebution hitch right??? ive got the torsion bars pretty tight , there on the 3rd link , what else should i do????

sent you a pm

Check out Timbren brand load levelers,used on semis for years.They dont increase spring rate unloaded,making yuor truck ride stiff.Lifetime guarantee.

Most air bags have a maximum guarantee of 1year plus you have added worry

or airline routing under suspension travel.Just a thought.

69t/a

Don't know what overloads are, so I won't comment.

It sounds like you should use airbags at about 25 PSI (250 lbs of weight = 50 lbs per 5 PSI) to keep the leaf springs from bottoming out and to give 'em a little help w/ the weight. Setup the airbags so they each have their own air input.

Next, and very important, with your FULLY LOADED trailer on as near a LEVEL surface as possible, measure from the ground to the front right, front left, rear right, and rear left, all four numbers MUST be w/in 1 inch of each other THROUGHOUT and after completion of the set-up of the weight distribution hitch. So, I AM saying to setup the weight distribution hitch on as near a level surface as possible with a FULLY LOADED trailer.

You MUST use a weight distribution hitch in California and take your time to do this correctly. You should measure the distance from the ground to a spot on the front wheel-wells, then do the same on the rear wheel-wells. If you have properly used the weight distribution hitch the front and rear should drop the same amount when you put the weight of your FULLY LOADED trailer on it, don't use half measures or we'll see you on the side of the road jack-knifed. So, what you're looking for is, if your rig is lowered 3" in the front with the weight distribution on it, you should lose 3" in the rear. Just know, 99% of sway is caused by speed and tongue weight.

Don't spend $30K on a truck, $30K on a trailer, $20K on your bikes, plus the risk of personal injury for less than $500 in parts and 2-3 hours of setup. Nobody does it right the first time, so bring your impact wrench and a couple of friends for loading up, then lowering/raising, loosing/tightening, moving stuff around, etc. Once you've done this right you can relax on the drive.

Make sure all your lights work, tire pressure is critical EVERY TIME -- do yourself a favor buy an excellent gauge AND USE IT EVERY TIME, grease both the ball and the coupler, and you're good to go riding!

NOTE: remove the weight distribution bars to travel over whoops (you can break all kinds of things if you don't) like in Pismo's sand, Glamis' washes, etc.

Hope this helps all!

IcedCap

WD is mandatory in California? Thats new to me. I only haul 2 bikes in a WW FS2300 Superlite. I haven't needed the WD bars yet. My F250 susp is fine so far.