Broken collarbone

the doctor said i got a appointment on the 3rd of jan again.

when you put a pin in somebodys collarbone can the pin come out of place? i dont see how it could if its screwed downt he middle of it!

i think its the swelling thats gone down, i can feel the end of the pin near my chest and its weird! im having it removed when its fully healed.

also my doctor said it can be permanent the pin if i wanted, but i want it out as it is uncomfertable?

I have seen more than a few of those break with the pieces migrating into places they shouldn't be. Some, even causing life threatening complications. For that reason, in the USA, this method of fixing the collar bone is very uncommonly utilized.

ok, well my dr has been wroking there 10 years and putting pins and metal plates in and hes never had a complication (touch wood!) ill see what he says when i see him in january, he said the pin could be permanent if i wanted, but you can see it under the skin and hurts abit so ill be having that out.

The good news is when they take it out they do a tiny cut where u see the pin under the skin and pull it out, id of tohught this would only take about 10-20mins - cut you open, pull out, stich up done, or whatever they do!

After 6 weeks of the bone healing how much force would i need to re-break.?

• 2 weeks later...

I fell down the stairs the day after having mine done and it held fine. I had the op 1 year ago this March, It still gets sore every now and then and sometimes quite a bad pain but not very often. Doc said that they will not remove the metal until it's 1 year old, you'll probably be the same (probably uk standard)

by the way they will let you take a photo of your xrays if you have a digital camera

www.hometown.aol.co.uk/wgcathome/images/before.jpg

www.hometown.aol.co.uk/wgcathome/images/after.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The surgen said they don't remove the metal until it's a year old and only if it's coursing problems other wise it stays in, he thought that it might course me to have problems and i have just recently. Not sure if i should go back and see them.