Installing Gorilla alarm on S

living in the big city, I never felt comfy to leave my bike parked in public, even at night when it's in the garage I still worry, so I figured I'll try an alarm.

I keep hearing them voices in my head 'but that's a dirt bike! u don't alarm these!' - still I couldn't help it and got myself a cheap Gorilla model #7007 for $75 +shipping out of ebay. no pager or anything fancy like that. just plain noise.

the specs are:

• Motion tilt sensor - activates alarm when moved off side stand
  • Current drain sensor - stops hot wiring by activating alarm when there is a current drop in the electrical system
  • Shock sensor - any impact activates the alarm, 7 different sensitivity levels
  • LED warning light indicates alarm is armed
  • 100% waterproof
  • Panic feature up to 100 ft. away
  • Expands into a 2-way paging system, for added security
  • Limited 2 year manufacturer’s warranty

Install was a too easy. 1/2 hour and you good to ride.

biggest problem was where to fit the alarm box. it's a small box, 3"X3.25"X1.25"deep, but there is nowhere on the bike where u can fit it nicely.

after searching here and on the bike I figured the air box is my happy candidate.

had to drill couple of small holes to attach the metal bracket to the airbox. it is now zip tied but I'll get normal screws soon.

Also it's a little squeezing there on the side of the air filter, not too bad, maybe 2" of the filter is touching the alarm box, and the metal rod/wire to keep the filter in it's place fits on the 1/8" of the clip.

Just thought maybe some city boy out there will find it useful.

here are some pic's of the install. if you feel good with removing your seat you can do it in a snap ?

(click to enlarge...)

gorilla-box-small.jpgwhats-inside-small.jpgalarm-small.jpgairbox-mount-small.jpg

mount-holes-small.jpgwire-zip-tie-small.jpgairbox-after-small.jpg

Thanks. I'm definately looking into this. Small, light, loud... Anything that acts as a deterrent is good news around here... in Pickup Truck country!!

That's what they do down here too. Better have it tied down well too, otherwise 2 or 3 guys, a truck and it's gone in less tha a minute...?

I don't use it instead of a chain, just extra protection, thought it'll be sweet for these '1 minute stop at the corner store'.

I also don't leave it armed 24/7, anyway time to get battery tenders.

Airboxes tend to be picky about shape and airflow.. you sure it's alright to go stick things in there?[/qoute]

my first try was down at the bottom of the airbox, unfortunately the alarm box is too fat for there. it's attached to the side wall of the box and barley block/affect air flow.

from the short ride I took afterwards I didn't feel any difference, but time will tell ?

• 2 months later...

a little follow up:

if anyone is thinking about adding any alarm I think you should look for something smalller that will fit not in the airbox.

after putting the covers back it's not so loud. personally i took mine out last week. hope I didn't make no one spend his $$ on this. heck get a new bar or something :applause:

I found that a great place to mount the alarm is up front under the front number plate. Seems to be plenty of room back there and the number plate angle should be enough to keep it out of the weather.

I found that a great place to mount the alarm is up front under the front number plate. Seems to be plenty of room back there and the number plate angle should be enough to keep it out of the weather.

Not a good idea, an alarm should always be sited were it can be protected by a micro switch.

If it can be seen, it can be disabled, before it goes off.

The air box, or under the tank, depending on size, is best, check out the SpyBall alarm, good alarm and small.

But as the DRZ battery is marginal at best, the bike would have to live on a battery tender.

Neil. :applause:?

I will do a little how-to alarm install on the DRZ when I get it. I have already made custom wire harnesses so that there is no cutting or splicing of any wires to install it. This allows for flashing lights and starter kill, all of the typical alarm stuff

• 10 months later...

Just been told this by a pro alarm fitter :

I would never fit an alarm inside an airbox, the airbox is a specified

size to maintain a constant air pressure for the running of the bike

installing an alarm in here would be the same as placing a brick inside

your toilet cistern, the air required for the engine would not be

sufficient at high revs, just as the water in the flush wouldn't be

enough for big dumps.

Also the airbox is a sealed unit to create good air pressure, an

entrance hole must be cut for the alarm unit wires, this can be sealed

by a grommet and some silicone but will wear down in time and cause

irregular running of the engine.

So where else to fit a compact alarm unit ???