Death grip

I don't know if it's considered arm pump but I have a tendency to get death grip while riding/racing MX. I get to a point where I can't move my fingers and it gets really hard to reach and use the levers.

When it happens I let go of the grip and unbend my fingers, pushing my hands downward while having the tip of my fingers on the grips. Then they loosen up and I'm good for a bit more.

I know it's more of a technique problem but I would still like to have better forearms, more resistance to this if it gets to happens again. I don't work out so I don't have any equipment. But I recently bought a pair of hand grip (those with two handles that you need to squeeze) and a pair of 5lbs dumbbells. Is this any good for my problem? What kind of exercise do you recommend me to do? I'm 5'9 126lbs.

Thank you

Check your bars angle. Buy this I mean you should check to see if your wrists are bent when gripping. If your bar ends are turned up and causing your wrists to be bent at a sharp angle it may cause your problem. Try moving the bars in small increments, I use a marker on the bar and clamp so I can tell how much I move it. When I get it perfect I mark the spot so I can put the bars back were I like them. You can relax your arms with a small adjustment

of the bars and its free. Might not solve the problem but it may help.

Part of the problem is you just need to relax! Use your knees to grip the bike more and you can relax your hands a bit. Believe it or not, cardio excercise will help out with arm pump, too! better blood flow through the arms is key to not locking them up like you describe. Main thing though, is to RELAX and have fun.

Part of the problem is you just need to relax! Use your knees to grip the bike more and you can relax your hands a bit. Believe it or not, cardio excercise will help out with arm pump, too! better blood flow through the arms is key to not locking them up like you describe. Main thing though, is to RELAX and have fun.

Exactly! I starting focusing on holding onto the bars with as little grasp as possible and squeezing with my knees. It cut the cramping in half. When I get tired I grip tighter and the cramping sets in. I am 6'2" 265lbs, so I am sure that size has something to do with it.

Exactly! I starting focusing on holding onto the bars with as little grasp as possible and squeezing with my knees. It cut the cramping in half. When I get tired I grip tighter and the cramping sets in. I am 6'2" 265lbs, so I am sure that size has something to do with it.

I used to get hand cramps so bad I couldn't ride and I pulled off a couple races. The more I rode the more comfortable I got on the bike and I was able to relax more. I now make a conscious effort to use my legs more and relax my hands. It takes a while to make it stick in your head but it works. I also started using Elete sports water before I ride. It helps with hand cramping as well.

My best remedy for this when riding is to stay hydrated and I stop every so often and shake it out to get some blood back down into my hands. Also vibration in the bars can make this worse. Get some aftermarket bars if you're running stock and some soft grips.

Oh one more thing that helped ALOT. Keep your back straight. I don't know how it works but it made a big difference.