1st gear??

just got the new 06 drz SM and had a muzzys full system installed w jet kit and 3x3. my question is: whats your 1st gear like? mine seems nonexistent, is tis normal. i also ride a gsxr 1000 so maybe im not used to it but 1st gear stops at around 50-55km/h.... seems to have no power until i shift to 2nd. is something wrong?

thanks!

don't think so. it's low and comes in nice tight trails / steep hills. Of course the final should be a lot lower for off-road. I'm sure there are reasons for 1st to be low on the street too, but maybe other people think it's too low.

just got the new 06 drz SM and had a muzzys full system installed w jet kit and 3x3. my question is: whats your 1st gear like? mine seems nonexistent, is tis normal. i also ride a gsxr 1000 so maybe im not used to it but 1st gear stops at around 50-55km/h.... seems to have no power until i shift to 2nd. is something wrong?

thanks!

Hi Mik, ?

You might consider raising your overall gearing with a 16T countershaft sprocket. It's a real "cheap and easy" mod. I put one on my SM and it works great. Each gear carrys you progressively farther and faster for the same engine rpms.

Take Care,

Greg

I had a GSXR1000 with yoshi on it before I got the DRZ so I think I know what u mean ?

on the 1000cc beast i was 90% on 1st (local st.) and dragged it till 50-60 mph

with a 400cc it's a little different, and I use 1st just to start for the 10 first yards.

how i miss it now. if not the speeding tickets I wouldn't sell it.

In Australia you need to research the "pink wire" question. Apparently in the US it has no affect but in some countries the power my be restricted in lower gears. I'm not sure on this one so you need to inquire locally if cuting the pink wire will perk it up.

You dont have any power in 1st because you've already it the limiter. Especially with the 3x3 and the exhaust. It hits the limiter real fast. I mostly ride my Bandit on the street now, and when I get on the DRZ I go thru the first 4 gears hitting the limiter everytime. You are just so used to the acceleration of the Gixxer, you forget how slow off the line the DRZ is. Though I have seen videos of the DRZ hitting 100 KMs or 70 MPH? in 3.8 seconds. Not to shabby. Just a different kind of power. But fun fun fun none the less.

On my S I can get to 25 MPH in 1st, way too high for dirt bogs at under 5mph. It has stock 15/44 gears. 15/41 stock for SM with smaller wheels.

Is it winding out fast and hitting the limiter? Are you launching with high revs? If it runs our of gear that sfast you should bw able to just crack it and flip the thing over unless it has a limiter on the 1st 2 gears.

Most SM's pull roll-on wheelies in 1 and 2, some S models do and all E models do with their gearing. Your mods should net you a lottle more torque and hp all along the rev band over stock.