Are mods worth it?

New to the forum, I just picked up my first 2006 DRZ400s two days ago...and I'm just in a constant state of awe since the first ride.

Anyways, my question: Are the all the mods that are spoke about on here really worth it?

I understand that alot of people just like doing these types of things just for the pure enjoyment of working on thier bikes. But in all reality is it worth the money , performance and reliability factor? I used to be all into putting aftermarket parts on my cars and bikes and all. But I've reached a point where I compare this kinda stuff to buying a honda civic for 15k and dumping another 15k into it, when you could've bought the 3 series for the same price. You know what I mean?

The biggest bang for the buck would be tires,pipe,3x3 mod,14/47 gearing(for dirt) and rejet. Now I have a totally different bike than what I had to start with. But no you don't have to do any mods if you don't want to. These are just some of the mods I did and yes there was a decent difference. Before I did anything though I went with bike protectio (skid plate+case guards) and body protection (helmet,gloves,boots and chest protector). Just like the car thing it never ends. Would I do these mods again? YES!!

New to the forum, I just picked up my first 2006 DRZ400s two days ago...and I'm just in a constant state of awe since the first ride.

Anyways, my question: Are the all the mods that are spoke about on here really worth it?

enjoy your bike as is... in a few weeks you'll probably get used to it, then do the as Skidder wrote... ride it for a few weeks more... then do the full yoshi & fcr and you'll be amazed! so the answer is defiantly BIG YES!

Check TT shop for all the parts you want and use your 10% discount coupon.

Enjoy

The quickest and easiest (for me) mods to my SM was: Do the Dynojet jet kit, the 3x3 mod, and the Yoshi RS-3 pipe. For about $400 you get a Dr Jeckyl/Mr Hyde transformation. I think it's really worth it for the torque increase. You can really feel it pull in all gears now. Biggest difference: when the bike was stock and in 5th gear, it couldn't accelerate at all around 45mph, it felt like it was gonna die... but after the mods, it will pull hard and be happy doing it and sounds so powerful now. Nice exhaust but a little too loud with the muffler insert out.

...I just picked up my first 2006 DRZ400s two days ago...and I'm just in a constant state of awe since the first ride.

IMO if you are in doubt about mods (except safety mods) do NOT do them--they will not be worth it to you. You are in a constant state of awe now--and that can't be improved.

However, if (or when) you want to do mods this is a good place to get ideas and guidance. But be skeptical of hyperbole because every gain you achieve will come with a price. (For example, more dirt-worthy tires give you less street mileage.) Every design has trade offs (there is no free lunch).

The DRZ400S is an optimal design (at least for my purposes) just as it came from the factory. It does not NEED any performance mods--and yet the DRZ is robust enough to support any mods that I choose to do from time to time. Pretty cool! ?

The quickest and easiest (for me) mods to my SM was: Do the Dynojet jet kit, the 3x3 mod, and the Yoshi RS-3 pipe. For about $400 you get a Dr Jeckyl/Mr Hyde transformation. I think it's really worth it for the torque increase. You can really feel it pull in all gears now. Biggest difference: when the bike was stock and in 5th gear, it couldn't accelerate at all around 45mph, it felt like it was gonna die... but after the mods, it will pull hard and be happy doing it and sounds so powerful now. Nice exhaust but a little too loud with the muffler insert out.

I second that, as a first step you will definitely be happy with the gain. Its the first step that starts the addiction...becareful:thumbsup:

If you go off road....at least get a skid plate and case guards and protection for yourself of course. Oops almost forgot the DOT knobbies.

If you stay on road....ride the bike for a while and then decide. I did the 3 x 3 with stock exhaust...throttle response a little more snappier. (Though I've spent a lot more on mods then that by now)

But at least make sure you check the main maintenance item...CS Nut. That's a freebie except for the loctite. There are two types of CS nuts off the showroom floor. Those that are loose and those that will become loose. Do the search. And when you want to dig in, get the MCCT and loctite the primary nut. Ride it like you stole it and change the oil often in the beginning. Good Luck ?

My bolt on "motor mods" were done one at a time, cam, pipe, FCR carb. The biggest single improvement was the FCR carb. But the carb needed the cams and pipe first.

Do you have to do these mods...NO, does the DRZ 400S need these mods..YES. Look at the DRZ 400E, it already has better cam, exhaust, carb then the 400S.

All the other mods are a personal choice.

Regardless of how you ride, do install the mods that protect the bike and you.

Good skid plate and case guards to protect the engine. Good barkbusters/ hand guards to protect you.

Then get the mods to make yourself more comfortable as you discover the shortcoming that apply to your ride. Gear it down if you ride dirt. Gear it up if you ride highway.

When and if you need more power, do the 3x3 mod.

If you drop it a lot in dirt and have to pick it up, reduce the weight.

Etc

Merry Christmas!

Dick

I first added the Armor (Large Skid Plate, Case Covers, Rad Guards, Bark Busters) for all the usual reasons and they instantally proved their worth! Lots of dents and dings to the Skidplate and Case covers and a nice ding in the rad guards from following a rock chucking friend. (He broke my Mirror too.)

Saved $$$ on replacement parts.

And finally I jetted & full yosh! Holy S*** A New Bike!!! Goes Great and Now I chuck Rocks at my Friend!

Total $$$ under 600+/- and I did it over the span of one year

Mods Worth it... I say YES!!![/U] ?

This is my recommendation: The James Dean (J D ) jet kit really works well. Biggest bang for the buck for sure! This is the perfect starting point. He tells you how to perform the 3x3 mod in his instructions. So everything you need is in the kit, the recommended main jet is a 155 and he also includes smaller and larger ones as well. This would be for altitude or if you go with an aftermarket pipe (larger jet). The special tapered needles (2) are included as well as the #25 pilot jet. This is the most complete kit and it performs better than the other one. It definitely provides more power throughout the rev range. You will definitely notice the difference.

My next suggestion would be to do the 14-47 gearing if you ride off road and get good tires. Now you have a great bike!! For a little more power go with the Yoshimura exhaust system (either stainless or Ti ) Ti gives even more power! Later if you desire even more and you may not as the bike should be great for trails...get the FCR and cams.....

As with any bike of this type, you've got to do this: ?

1.) Protect the bike

2.) Protect your body

There are many great comments here to cover the specifics.

THEN.........at least do:

1.) the 3x3 = FREE

2.) DJ Kit = 60 bucks

Then everything else is personal preference. Have fun, and modify your bike only if you want to.?

Welcome to the forum! ?:devil:

From a strict monetary point of view heavy mods on any kind of machine are NEVER EVER worth it.

You are always better off putting the money towards a better bike, car airplane or boat.

For the DRZ that means: getting the rads/case protectors/skid plate/ axle sliders (worth it on any bike) and that's it.

After that you can do the 3X3, rejet and adapt a cheap E model pipe for cheap.

Anything past that (including an aftermarket pipe), and you are loosing significant amounts of money.

This being said, modifying a bike you are going to keep to suit your needs can be worth it.

At least to me it is because I want something reliable and easy to deal with on a daily basis.

Used DRZ $4250. Non perf mods $2000. Perf mods to be determined.

Being in love with my DRZ400SM: priceless ?

Edit: since you are in love with the bike as it is, I suggest you get the protection parts and enjoy the bike as is for now... Riding beats wrenching any time...

There's basically two kinds of mods...

Mods which are required to make the bike safe and ridable on the terrain you mostly ride upon, and then there are mods which are 'gravy'.

If your motor has no lean surge or bog, then motor mods may be completely unneccessary for you. But lower gearing, DOT knobby tires, suspension set-up, and a minimum of protective armor are must have items for off road riders of any skill level. So best to put money into those areas first.

And keep in mind that riding skill is ten times more important in determining how fast you can go, than how many motor mods you have. Throw some big money at your bike, and you might gain 20% more horsepower. But spend a relatively small amount of cash on a riding school, and you could gain 500% more skill AND speed.

?

Once you get the taste of performance gains it becomes an addiction. Very few yearn for the days when they had less hp/torque. Even on my 140hp zrx (which can smoke any cage on the highway) I want more. Some in the zrx forum have gotten there's past 200hp with turbos... and still want more.

By the way, this forum is not a support group for moditus, it's more of a carrier of the virus.?

enjoy your bike as is...
Regardless of how you ride, do install the mods that protect the bike and you. Good skid plate and case guards to protect the engine. Good barkbusters/ hand guards to protect you.

I agree with both these comments. Since you're loving your bike as is, keep riding and enjoying it. If after a while you want more power, well you know where to look for what to do.

However, skid plate and case guards are a must for now.