Fast Idle after Jetting help (long)

2006 TE610 at sea level

Installed JD Jetting Kit

- followed JD instructions for jet sizes (180 main; pilot...); replaced leak jet; added thinner o-ring option as well

- installed Stealth Racing Accelerator Pump cover

- replaced stock fuel screw with Stealth Racing extended screw (washer and o-ring in place); screw 1 1/2 turns out

- initially bike idled and ran fine, then on longer check-out ride bike turns rough, backfires and dies on idle - get bike home and find fuel screw has fallen out and is lying on engine case

- re-install fuel screw with washer and o-ring and use a little loctite per instructions to keep in place; bike now idling anywhere from 1700 to 2000 rpm; fuel screw seems to have no effect - can not kill bike with it all the way seated; in general, bike runs fine, but feels "rich"

- take out fuel screw with no washer and o-ring attached and fish-around with rigged small hook and get two o-rings and one washer to fall out

- sure that the problem was caused by stuck o-ring, replace screw, washer and o-ring and still have same high idle and no fuel screw response

Is this still most likely the fuel screw poorly seated/blocked or something else to check?

Make sure you don't have an air leak somewhere; especially if you had the carb off rejetting. You found the fuel screw problem, which makes it the prime culprict. But, it's possible to have another issue going on too. I've gone around in circles trying to troubleshoot for a known problem, only to find the real problem was something that was not as obviously wrong. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that fast idle = too lean.

I brought the idle down to something more reasonable with the idle screw but that seems to just be masking the problem. I'm afraid I will need to take it all apart again and see what I can find. At least she's running and seems to just fly at 3/4 + throttle.

Most definitety sounds like some kind of a intake leak. Either internal thru the carb or external. My experience has alway been such that lean creates a fast idle with no snap (agrees with flame). Are you sure nothing else came out of the carb when the fuel screw fell out? Try pullling the choke out (enricher) and see if the idle speed drops. Its not a fix, but may provide some indication of were to look next...CK

Most definitety sounds like some kind of a intake leak. Either internal thru the carb or external. My experience has alway been such that lean creates a fast idle with no snap (agrees with flame). Are you sure nothing else came out of the carb when the fuel screw fell out? Try pullling the choke out (enricher) and see if the idle speed drops. Its not a fix, but may provide some indication of were to look next...CK

I don't think that anything else came out of it but suppose it could have while I was riding. I still would think the fuel screw would have some affect on the idle even if there was a leak somewhere else. She is tougher to start when hot now as well and I need to use the "hot choke" to get her to turn over.