Thumper Talk Skid Plate

First off the customer service from the TT Store is 2nd to none. Shipping was so fast it made fast shippers look slow..Thanks!

Now the bad news..The skid plate is a wonderful piece except that it doesnt cover the shifter side of the bike enough. My side case is exposed from the front and the bottom too much allowing the chance of a rock to hit just right and blast thru. The Baja Designs plate covered good there but lacked on the water pump side, which the TT plate covers perfectly. I may mod the TT plate to cover the shifter side better using material from my old skid plate.

Anybody else feel the same way? If so how did you "make the TT plate better"?

Thanks! And thanks to the TT Store for listening to my feedback. Great folks!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks similar..It just doesnt cover the case side..It comes up short..It almost covers. I have the plate slid as far as possible to that side of the bike and it leaves the case exposed. Maybe I got a bad one..maybe I worry too much..

To me it seems the Baja Designs plate mixed with the TT plate would make one super plate..The Baja Designs plate covers the shifter side and has more material to the rear of the plate than the TT plate. The TT plate covers the water pump side better than the Baja Designs plate and has an easier mounting system. I am waiting to hear back from the TT Store.

pict0001os9.jpg

pict0002cn9.jpg

I think you need to lie on the ground, under your bike, with the top of your head against the front wheel and your legs on either side of the rear wheel. Then look at the skid plate and see if you can see any part of the side covers, left or right.

That's the only coverage that matters.

I think you need to lie on the ground, under your bike, with the top of your head against the front wheel and your legs on either side of the rear wheel. Then look at the skid plate and see if you can see any part of the side covers, left or right.

That's the only coverage that matters.

Good idea..That'll have to wait..On my way to a party..

I just put mine on this morning along with my new chain. Gasp, I love my mother in law? She buys me great presents lol. I got a new countershaft sprocket cover from zeta.

130017.jpg

130006.jpg

130005.jpg

130003.jpg

Whoa! Gotta break out the shades! That's one shiny great looking bike!

Where'd you get the totally tricked out oil filter and starter covers? Do they come in black?

I custom made it and the frame guards, heat sheild on mid pipe.
Really nice work! You should PM Bryan, get him to adopt your design, and have TT make the frame guards as well. Whoever is stamping out plates for TT now can just as well stamp out yours.

The frame guards and heat shield are especially sharp, and of course functional! If you want to prototype another set, PM me with a price -- although I might not be able to do the install on the frame guards. How'd you do that?

Whoa! Gotta break out the shades! That's one shiny great looking bike!

Where'd you get the totally tricked out oil filter and starter covers? Do they come in black?

Thanks harry.

I just talked to the original owner and he said he got both covers off of Ebay.

I just did a search and could only come up with this one.

Might have to keep looking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DRZ-400-LTZ-400-Billet-Oil-Filter-Cover-DRZ400-LTZ400_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ009QQitemZ190066071001QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thanks for the link. That's a nice piece.

But I had to laugh at the first statment here:

Grooves maximize surface area to help radiate heat away from oil and motor

Very trailworthy and much less likely to break than stock cover.

Hopefully the second statement is true!

Really nice work! You should PM Bryan, get him to adopt your design, and have TT make the frame guards as well. Whoever is stamping out plates for TT now can just as well stamp out yours.

The frame guards and heat shield are especially sharp, and of course functional! If you want to prototype another set, PM me with a price -- although I might not be able to do the install on the frame guards. How'd you do that?

Thanks, I drilled through the frame and subframe and put steel inserts in. You have to have a special tool to mushroom the insert to the inside of the frame.

Just wondering,was you able to see the whole picture on the top? Everything I fabricate I use cardboard to make my templates. The frame guard on the top picture was extremely difficult,I almost gave up a couple of times.