Thumper Talk Skid Plate

$100 for Aluminum?

or $100 for Titanium?

I would go $100 for Ti but that will cost more like $300, no?

I'll make this to the point.This is a genuine concern. The TT (Utah) plate has

inadequate coverage of the water pump & little on the ignition side exposing the case to catastrophic failure. The case & water pump must be protected from frontal as well as side impact. (the "case guards" are for "lever" protection) The mounting holes are misaligned & the mounting bolts are exposed to damage as well.

These are facts.

I tried to return mine after only two rides based upon these exact flaws / concerns, I was denied.

I am not a complainer, I am a solutionist!

To that end , I am presently in contact with a professional local disigner at a custom fabrication shop here in Las Vegas to develop the "Ultimate Skid Plate" !

The Suzuki DRZ 400 line will be the first project!

Please share all ideas, pictures, drawings etc. to express your interests as well as your preferences. Titanium ? All input will be considered! Once a final design is produced, I'll be introducing the Designer to Brian in the hopes TT will carry the "Ultimate Skid Plate" !

TT is the BEST, they should sell the BEST!

I'll keep you all updated, look for "Skid Plate Up Date"

Rocci

If you look at a Baja Designs plate and have the under coverage of that plate combined with the upper/side protection of the TT plate you will be headed in the right direction. The TT plate tapers in under the motor too soon in the back. The Baja plate goes straight back and offers protection from bottom impacts along the entire motor out past the frame tubes.The wings on the TT plate need to angle out further and come up and back as far as possible w/o getting in the way of the riders foot. A little adjusting and you can have excellent coverage. As one who rides mostly off road I would prefer stock mounts and no cutouts for oil changes. I dont mind taking the plate off to change oil. I want the protection with an easy on and easy off plate.

Also dont put a bracket mount in front that lays right over the oil line and banjo bolt. A hard impact may damage the line and bolt. I left that mount off my TT plate.

Another plus would be a stub of sorts that would protect the rear shock linkage at the very back of the plate.

Great input!

Thanks to one & all!

Keep it coming!

Just received my TT plate today. I'm in agreement that there is not enough coverage on the left side. I liked the looks of the HYDE plate. Anyone have any comments on it. Looked at their web site but couldn't find much info, ie. what's it made of? TT is a great site and I appreciate all the help out there.

Rocks = METAL !

Just received my TT plate today. I'm in agreement that there is not enough coverage on the left side. I liked the looks of the HYDE plate. Anyone have any comments on it. Looked at their web site but couldn't find much info, ie. what's it made of? TT is a great site and I appreciate all the help out there.

A guy from Germany said he has one & it's bulletproof. Here's a page from there website:

Hyde Racing products offers:

Light weight and neat, easy fitment

Minimal loss of ground clearance

Offers maximum protection

Does not hold heat

Weighs less than half as much as alloy

Will not corrode, discolor, bend or crack

Impact absorption qualities are far superior to that of alloy

Engine runs cooler than with alloy plate

Reduced noise compared to an alloy plate

Easy removal for cleaning and maintenance

Sleek factory look

Inexpensive and affordable

WHAT ABOUT CARBON FIBER or STANDARD PLASTIC?

Carbon fiber, as well as the standard plastic plates that some bikes are coming out with nowadays, are extremely brittle - they crack easily and don't offer much protection at all. Carbon fiber is used effectively on F1 cars for example, because it shatters on impact and is less dangerous to the driver in an accident. BUT it is not going to protect the bottom of a bike against our rough North American terrain!

Hyde Racing products are made from Teflon/Co-Polymer

All stainless steel hardware

Heat resistant, even from 4-stroke head pipes

Abrasion resistant

Will not dent

Will not crack or fatigue as current poly-resin skid plates do

Absorbs sound instead of reflecting it up as do aluminum plates

Form fitting front portion offers:

Rocks and mud will not accumulate under engine

No need for reticulated foam

Lower engine temperatures due to air being allowed to flow over clean engine underside

Lightest amongst all comparable skid plates

Satisfaction GUARANTEED

Hyde Racing products are the best looking skid plates on this planet.

Using an aluminum skid plate is like putting a Bug Deflector on a Corvette.

Give your bike the best!

Sounds pretty good:thumbsup:

Thank you, that makes alot of sense. Now, if we could get Brian to stock them.

When you're riding in & around rocks as big or bigger than basketballs you'll wish you had a METAL skid plate, AKA "Bash Plate" !

I'm talking about the South West Desert guys, not the woods of N. Carolina or Alabama.