Sign in to follow this  

Engine coolant types?

So I roll into autozone looking to pick up some engine coolant and I see a bunch of choices. I have always used the green ethylene glycol coolant in all vehicles. If it was a newer vehicle with the long life fluid i'd flush that out and put in the green stuff. This way I only have to stock one type of coolant for all bikes, truck, car, mower, etc. I heard that the long life coolant isn't all its cracked up to be (has that changed in the last few years??)

Anyway they have prestone that works with all types, they had Prestone premixed 50/50 (:confused: ) and some no name green stuff.

I usually get the green prestone at costco but they arent stocking it now. I'd go to walmart and get supertech but walmart is too crowded.

I could by the prestone at autozone but it's 11 bucks a gallon

What should I do? Should I go to walmart? Should I switch to this long life stuff? :lol:

true except for Toyotas...you have to run Toyota Red for these or you will rust out your coolant system like a mofo.

I don't believe this. All modern engines and radiators are aluminum. How can Toy need a special coolant?

true except for Toyotas...you have to run Toyota Red for these or you will rust out your coolant system like a mofo.
Any good coolant will prevent corrosion. But when left in too long, electrolysis kicks in and starts attacking the softer metals first. Toyota red is also called LLC (long life coolant) and is good for 30K and must be diluted with water, and now they have the SLLC or super long life coolant which is already premixed and its exactly what I use in all my water cooled stuff, its rated for 90K on a new system, but I change mine every season. The SLLC is pink in color, LLC is red. All Toyotas coolant, be it the LLC or SLLC contains no silicates or borates. The silicates is what will kill your water pump seals. Borates can lead to corrosion. Prestone has silicates. Do some research, some may be getting away from the silicates now, but not sure. The Toyota red and pink is perfect for your aluminum water cooled bikes. ANd the price is right for me too!:lol:

I don't believe this. All modern engines and radiators are aluminum. How can Toy need a special coolant?

It is true. My local Kwik Kar service location refused to service my coolant system in my 98 Tacoma a couple of years ago unless I brought them some Toyota Red from a dealership as they had major issues running what the computer said would work. With in the past year of so an aftermarket company started producing a red coolant that will work in Toyota's...but it's designed with Toyota in mind as they have specific needs.

:lol:

That's crazy about the toyotas. I know GM used to do the same thing. I just want to carry one coolant. It's bad enough I have to stock ATF+4, Mercon V and Dextron III :confused:

:lol:

That's crazy about the toyotas. I know GM used to do the same thing. I just want to carry one coolant. It's bad enough I have to stock ATF+4, Mercon V and Dextron III :confused:

yeah Toyota made a lot of noise about high silicate coolants causing water pump seal failure. They will go as far as to void your warranty if you use any other coolant while still under the mfg warranty.

So I roll into autozone looking to pick up some engine coolant and I see a bunch of choices. I have always used the green ethylene glycol coolant in all vehicles. If it was a newer vehicle with the long life fluid i'd flush that out and put in the green stuff. This way I only have to stock one type of coolant for all bikes, truck, car, mower, etc. I heard that the long life coolant isn't all its cracked up to be (has that changed in the last few years??)

Anyway they have prestone that works with all types, they had Prestone premixed 50/50 (:crazy: ) and some no name green stuff.

I usually get the green prestone at costco but they arent stocking it now. I'd go to walmart and get supertech but walmart is too crowded.

I could by the prestone at autozone but it's 11 bucks a gallon

What should I do? Should I go to walmart? Should I switch to this long life stuff? :confused:

Whatever you do, put in either pre-mixed, or mix ONLY with distilled water-tap water contains minerals, micro organisms, and city water may have flouride-not good things for water pump seals, or internal cooling tubes in radiators.:confused:

I converted my semi over to LLC 4 years ago, and within 50k miles (4 months) had to replace the water pump twice. The first one I chalked up to wear and tear, the second one irked me, and I went back plain 'ol green coolant when it was replaced. Haven't had a problem since-I flush and change coolant every 2 years (which is roughly 220-250k), and replace the hoses and T-stats at the same time. :lol:

Whatever you do, put in either pre-mixed, or mix ONLY with distilled water-tap water contains minerals, micro organisms, and city water may have flouride-not good things for water pump seals, or internal cooling tubes in radiators.:lol:

I made that mistake before cause it's easy to just grab a hose. After 10 years my rad was totally plugged up. Never again will I use tap water.

Guess I'm going to walmart to stock up on some green.