Gary Semics!!! When to brake in corners?

I have watched your video tape on "All About Cornering" which states to come into the corner fast as possible on the front & back brake than at the apex of the corner to get back on the gas carry as much speed as possible in the process.

Then I went to Jason Langford's("91" indoor area cross champ) motocross school that teaches to get all the braking done before you enter the corner & power through the corner not using any brake.

Can you help clear up the confusion?

I'm not Gary Semics, but I will put my input in:

It really depends on the type of corner that you entering. A 180 bermed corner, like used in Supercross, then you want to enter the corner as fast you as can, and brake until the apex of the corner, which at that time, you should sit down, gas it, and look at your next object. That technique works best on hard packed surfaces.

However, on sandy tracks, or tracks with very loose surfaces, then you want to do all your braking before the corner, and gas it before the corner so you can have as much momentum coming out of the corner and you can set-up for the next obsticle. If you brake in the corner on a sand track, then you will tip over in the corner, or you may get high sided and go over the top of the berm.

On a hard packed flat corner, you want to do all your braking before you enter the corner, and slowly roll on the throttle to pull you through the corner. As you are at the apex of the corner, you should be on full acceleration, using your outside foot to put weight on the outside peg to keep the bike from slidding out.

On a loose surface flat corner, you should also get your braking done before the corner, and have a nice, steady throttle through the corner. Don't give it too much throttle too quickly or else your rear wheel will spin out. Make sure to keep your elbows up, and always looking where you want to go.

Hope that helps some.

• Like 1

I'm not Gary Semics, but I will put my input in:

It really depends on the type of corner that you entering. A 180 bermed corner, like used in Supercross, then you want to enter the corner as fast you as can, and brake until the apex of the corner, which at that time, you should sit down, gas it, and look at your next object. That technique works best on hard packed surfaces.

However, on sandy tracks, or tracks with very loose surfaces, then you want to do all your braking before the corner, and gas it before the corner so you can have as much momentum coming out of the corner and you can set-up for the next obsticle. If you brake in the corner on a sand track, then you will tip over in the corner, or you may get high sided and go over the top of the berm.

On a hard packed flat corner, you want to do all your braking before you enter the corner, and slowly roll on the throttle to pull you through the corner. As you are at the apex of the corner, you should be on full acceleration, using your outside foot to put weight on the outside peg to keep the bike from slidding out.

On a loose surface flat corner, you should also get your braking done before the corner, and have a nice, steady throttle through the corner. Don't give it too much throttle too quickly or else your rear wheel will spin out. Make sure to keep your elbows up, and always looking where you want to go.

Hope that helps some.

that has helped me alot thanx. where is the apex on a corner. thanx carl?

All braking done before entering corner apex, so you don't loose corner speed and the front wheel don't wash out. Unless your trying to square corners off in short hard pack berms or tight corners. The pro's are on gas well before apex as they center out of the turns.?

BTW- if you ride pavement (or dirt) like i do, don't ever brake in the middle of turn, or your ass will be surfing on the pavement. LOL:crazy:

• Experts
I have watched your video tape on "All About Cornering" which states to come into the corner fast as possible on the front & back brake than at the apex of the corner to get back on the gas carry as much speed as possible in the process.

Then I went to Jason Langford's("91" indoor area cross champ) motocross school that teaches to get all the braking done before you enter the corner & power through the corner not using any brake.

Can you help clear up the confusion?

That’s a good question and I see you already have some good answers but let me add; About the only time you want to finish your braking early (before you enter the corner) is in sand and/or a deep soft loaming type of surface. This is because the deep soft surface will continue to slow you down as you let go of the brakes and begin to get on the gas early. The soft loamy soil will hold you in the corner. On just about all other types of surfaces you should use the brakes deeper and further around the corner. This way you can enter the corner faster and use the brakes to help turn and control the bike. If you get off the brakes early in this situation you will either drift wide out of the corner or have to compromise by slowing down.

Remember the most important part of the corner is the exit dex, where you go from braking to accelerating. Most of the time this is at the apex (center of the corner) but in motocross it can be before or even after the apex. Sometimes braking and accelerating will actually overlap and you will be doing a little of both over some terra furma of the corner. Its motocross and you have to be able to use all five controls at the same time with a fine feel of each one. I hope this helps, good luck. ?