250x Break In

We're taking my wife's new '07 CRF250x out this weekend. I read through the manual tonight to find the break in instructions. The docs didn't tell me much. It basically said to avoid full throttle starts during the first 15 miles of riding. Is that it? I can take it out for fifteen miles without stopping--does that qualify as a good break in? ?

Before I turn her loose on the trails, I'd like to break it in on the roads and change the oil. But the manual doesn't really describe what the break in should be.

Any tips?

Just avoid the rev limiter and dont bog the motor. Take it through the power band easy. after it's hot, stop and let it cool down, start again. repeat this process several times and after the break in period ride the hell out of it.

Bogging the motor will do just as much harm as beating on it with high revs.

Very high loads on the motor not in the power band.

This is what I did:

1-Warm it up real good

2-Rode it using the full throttle range through each gear(without bogging it or hitting the rev limiter as stated above) for about the first two rides or 50 miles

3-Changed the oil

4-Let er' rip!!

Hope this helps!!

I bought mine on a Saturday, broke it in early Sunday morning for 10 miles, and went racing later that day. Stay off of roads--its not intended for that. Just don't lug it and don't rev it up high. Keep moving so you've got good air flow through the radiators. Run it about 10 minutes, then shut it down, let it cool for about 15 minutes, then repeat til you've got about 10 to 15 miles on it, then she's good to go, let her rip. I would change the engine and gearbox oils after the first race or couple hours of riding.

What about the dry break-in method? Engine is bone dry (use solvent to get all traces of oil away from piston & cylinder walls). Take spark plug out. Hand crank w/ plug out on the kick starter 50 times. Put spark plug back in. Add oil to crankcase, turn over a few times by hand to circulate. Start engine, warm it up, then ride it like you stole it! This method will do a better job seating the ring (no oil burning as the traditional method causes). The two real problems w/ the traditional method are:

1. 'We've always done it the traditional way so all other methods MUST be wrong'. Sound familiar?

2. The slick chrome cylinder wall offers almost no abrasive action to seat the ring and they therefore get glazed before the ring has a chance to wear in, reslulting in compression loss and oil burning due to blow by.

The web has quite a bit of data on this method but it's been a while since I looked for it. Doesn't just apply to dirt bikes but any high RPM racing 4-stroke engine w/ a plated cylinder wall. Am sure I'll get tons of comments on this!!! Good luck.

1. warm her up

2. ride at least 3/4 throttle through all the gears (do not hit the limiter), then get off the throttle and down shift through all the gears.

3. repeat for 20 min's or so, then let cool down for 20.

4. go to step 2 and repeat for a total of three times.

5. change oil and trans, ride and have fun?

yzman is correct in a way. You don't have to be hard on the engine, you just have to make sure the rings seat.

By using the breakin procedure I outlined earlier what you are doing is putting pressure on the rings, accelerating and decelerating do the same thing.

If you follow the manual or the dealerships recomendations, your bike will burn oil, and the perfomance won't be all it could be.

Granted, the rings are mostly seated at the factory but not completly. You need to consentrate on fully seating the rings in the first hour if you want the best preformance from your bike.