Sign in to follow this  

Street legal in MI

How hard is it to get a bike (i.e. WR450, 400exc/xc) to become street legal in MI? What does it need to pass the test? (horn, turn signals, hi/lo beams, ect…) Do you even need a plate for riding in the northern part of the LP? (will you get hassled riding to a gas station or from trail to trail)

I’m thinking about getting into the sport and any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kennedy

Very easy. Plenty of previous threads on this board describe the process.

You should plate the bike to ride on roads. It's true that in the UP and several counties in the northern lower that you can ride on the sides of some county roads (with various restrictions). A license plate removes all of these restrictions.

Make sure the bike has the appropriate equipment. Get the from TR-54 from the SOS, take the form to the cop shop (or call 911 and have them come out and inspect the bike). Take that completed form and proof of insurance back to the Secretary of State and get a title/plate.

Required items:

Form TR-54: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

Headlight with Hi/Lo beam.

Brake & tail lights (plus license plate light).

Horn

Mirror (helmet mirror OK)

DOT approved tires (Dunlop 606, Pirelli MT-32, Kenda K760, plus many more good knobby DOT tires).

Hollywood-

I went thru the whole process of street-legalizing my 2003 WR450. I got lucky with the sheriff who signed off on my bike, he only checked for brake light and license plate bracket.

I did not have a horn, hi/lo beam, or mirrors, and my tires were labeled not for street use. I explained to the sheriff that my intentions were to only ride from the trail to the gas stations for fuel, he said no problem and was kinda in a hurry anyways. Maybe you will get lucky like I did.

Also sent you a pm.

... and use the regular police phone number, not 911.

I was told by police dispatch to hang up and call 911. I had two cops at my house in 5 minutes.

I was told by police dispatch to hang up and call 911. I had two cops at my house in 5 minutes.

Same here. I was told to call 911. That is there central dispatch. Its worked for me several times with no problems at all.

• Like 1

Same here. I was told to call 911.

Same here.

do whatever you have to. I'm here to tell ya that having a street legal dirt bike will give you almost as many grins as busting out a 75 foot triple on a mx track.

If you buy the bike from a dealer they should have someone that they call all the time. I did my 2006 wr450. It cost me $25. I put the sicass fender on the bike that came with a horn and tail light all in one. Around $200. Now I can ride anywhere.

Thanks for the info 2TrakR, now to start looking for a bike and make a decision Yamaha or KTM.

Kennedy

Ktm exc's are street legal for 07 or 06 and newer Husqvarna te's. You are not going to get any better performance than these two brands.

here I had myself talked into an 650L to make it easy. If all it takes is a signature I'm back to wanting a street legal 650R. Swing by and have the bro-in-law sign off on the paper work and not bother with anything other than the break light.

Ktm exc's are street legal for 07 or 06 and newer Husqvarna te's. You are not going to get any better performance than these two brands.

I think Gasgas is also a good option, I own one and love it, as far as there 200 (which I have) it blows my aunts 200 KTM away.

Give them a look if you get a chance.....

My freind had a klr650 and I had a xt600. We both got rid of them because they are to heavy in the sandy trails (and MI is full of them). You can have fun with them but its work if you are a serious trail rider. I switched to a wr450 and it is the best thing I did. So much power and since I made it street legal I can go anywhere, although you get less out of a tank of gas, its still worth it. Plus there are gas stations everywhere.

If you are debating between the XR650R and the XR650L, go for the R handsdown the better of the two to dualsport. I have one that has been titled and it is an absolute blast to ride. :lol: You will want to get the rewound stator for a brighter light, because you can out ride the stock light in first.

If you are debating between the XR650R and the XR650L, go for the R handsdown the better of the two to dualsport. I have one that has been titled and it is an absolute blast to ride. :lol: You will want to get the rewound stator for a brighter light, because you can out ride the stock light in first.

I have been going back and forth for a while on what to do. All this 50 degree weather is not helping. I want the R for water cooled, lighter, better suspenion. I know 90% of the time I'll be in the city. I kicked around the idea of making my cr 250 legal but sold it instead. I'm heading to novi this weekend for the motorcycle show. I may have a bike sooner than I wanted.

So I'm back home with the "06" 400exc. This bike was plated in Georgia, if I take the title and GA registration to the Secretary of State do you think they will give me a plate? Or will I have to get it checked out and approved by the Police first?

Kennedy