Lifan lights 12volts AC?

I have installed a new Lifan 107cc motor in my z50. I have followed all of the directions and diagrams. I have tried 3 voltage regulators from 3 companys. The motor runs great. Butt, I have 12volts AC to the headlight. The bulb blows after about 5 seconds. I have looked at Hooper imports diagrams. Any ideas about how to get 12volts DC to the headlight???

The ac voltage to the headlight is fine. What is the voltage reading when you rev the motor?? And what wattage is the bulb?? The regulator should be wired in parallel with the headlight. If it's a 2 wire like a Moose regulator, the brown wire must go to ground to bleed off the excess voltage. Hope this helps. Also...what year is your Z ?? Is the headlight for 12v ?

Ya, make sure youre only getting 12v to the head lamp and youve got a 12v head lamp bulb. If youve got the regulator connected incorrectly, the alternator will make roughtly 80-90 volts when the engine is rev'd and pop goes the bulb.

For the record, the regulators dont "bleed off" voltage. What they do is turn the alternator off and then back on very quicky and that limits the amount of voltage produced. To allow the Alternator to build full voltage and then choke it down would create a butt load of heat. Typically this was done with a Zener which will burn you like a dog gone soldering iron if you touch it while its running.

I have a Lifan 200GY-5 and also, can not get the headlight to work. I try things, put in a new bulb, it blows, order more bulbs....try again...order more bulbs.....try again...... I wish I could find a store that sells them. It takes too long to wait on them. Does anyone know of a bulb other than the 12v35/35w, that will work? I have not been able to get any help from Lifan or their dealer. Is there a way, I can wire a light to work?

I have a Lifan 200GY-5 and also, can not get the headlight to work. I try things, put in a new bulb, it blows, order more bulbs....try again...order more bulbs.....try again...... I wish I could find a store that sells them. It takes too long to wait on them. Does anyone know of a bulb other than the 12v35/35w, that will work? I have not been able to get any help from Lifan or their dealer. Is there a way, I can wire a light to work?

You need a volt meter to check the voltage at the bulb. Im going to say youve definetly got the voltage regulator wired wrong.

Let me guess; you fire the bike up, bulb is nice and bright, but as soon as you crack the throttle Pop goes the bulb?

Check this out: probably give you some ideas... http://www.dratv.com/subw4.html

Thanks.... I looked at my rectifier, on my 200GY-5, and it has a 4 wire, male plug going to it. The wires are yellow, red green and white.

I was looking to buy another rectifier for it at Hoopers. He has two rectifiers.... One is the 4 wire male plug, for $19.95. And, the other is a 5 wire, female plug, going to it, for $49.95.

I went ahead and ordered the 4 wire, that fits my wireing.

Does anyone know what the difference in the two rectifiers are? Does my bike have the right one?

Also, where the headlight connects, there is this 3/4" by 3/4" by 1/4", black thing, with 2 wires going to it, on one end, and a peace of metal, with about a 1/4" hole in it, on the other. What is it, and should I bolt it to the frame?

I hope someone can help.... Thanks!

Make sure you are talking about the right thing. A rectifier converts AC coming directly out of the alternator to DC so you can charge a battery or run lights. You can run just lights off just the regulated AC without converting it to DC with the same bulbs.

Are you trying to run lights and charge a battery or just run the lights only?

AC only, regulator only

DC needs a rectifier and a regulator. Normally you regulate the AC first, then rectify it to DC.

Ok... you are talking over my head....

Everything on my bike works ok..

But, when I start the bike, the headlight blows.

The tail lights work, the brake light works, the turn lights...

In Georgia you can not ride on the road, without a headlight.

I have had this bike, for over 60 days, and can not get anyone, to get the headlights to work.

I am just replaceing parts, until, I can get it to work..

Ok... you are talking over my head....

Everything on my bike works ok..

But, when I start the bike, the headlight blows.

The tail lights work, the brake light works, the turn lights...

In Georgia you can not ride on the road, without a headlight.

I have had this bike, for over 60 days, and can not get anyone, to get the headlights to work.

I am just replaceing parts, until, I can get it to work..

Shoot! Im sorry...

the problem you have is the alternator isnt being regulated. What happens is the alternator will make as much as 80-100 volts when the engine is reved up. You do need rectifier to charge the battery. Now, if your rectifier isnt working the AC will blow right past the battery and pop your bulbs. If I could put the meter on the wires coming out of the motor while it was running, I could tell you whats up...Wish I could be of more help...?

I have had this bike for more than 60 days. I will never buy another! I have tried 3 times to get a tag. No luck in getting a tag. The headlights will not work. I get no help from anyone. I am sorry, I ever bought a Lifan 200GY-5! There is no help, if you buy one, and you have a problem! I am going to sell mine, for small money.

did you buy a regulator/rectifier or just a rectifier?

Also make sure you go buy a voltage meter, i got mine for like 20 bucks at home depot

I am pretty much building a light kit for my little 110 china junker, i just got my regulator in the mail so I will see whats up with mine hopefully this weekend

I replaced both.....

I am waiting on four more bulbs.

What would happen if I cut the red wire, at the bulb, and spliced the bulb wire, straight to the + side of the battery?

I do not like the light running, off of the motor. If, you are riding down the highway, at night, and for some reason, your motor quits, your lights woud go out....

I think I would like for my light to work, even if the motor did not.

What would be the best way to do this?

If youve got a battery, youve definitely got to figure out the regulator. If you just dump unregulated DC into the battery, you'll boil the battery dry in nothing flat. The lights should run off a common postitive source that switched anyway.

How many wires come out of your regulator/rectifier. Also, take the bulb to the local auto parts store. It will cross with something. I found a bulb to fit my XR for 1.85 that cost 30 bucks at Honda. I had to change the wire connector but big deal....

Ok.. I got a volt meter, today. And, I hope to get four more bulbs, tomorrow.

So, I am getting too many volts to the bulb, which only has three wires, going to it.

The motor has five wires out of it, and the regulator has a total of six wires at it, one plug, at the regulator, has two wires and the other has four.

The electric diagram, is not the same as my bike.

How should I start to fix the voltage at the bulb?

I have not been able to run the bike, long enough, to see if it will burn up the battery.

I can run another switch, just to get the light to work. But, I dont want to burn up the battery.

I can not find anyone, around Atlanta, that will work on the bike.

The people, that I bought it from, know nothing about the bike.

I thought about forgetting about getting a tag, taking off the lights, and just using the bike for dirt.

But, if the battery is going to melt down...I think I will just let the trash man, take this problem away.

?

I hope someone can help...

Thanks