Sign in to follow this  

4runner

Hey all, I'm looking at a 1990 Toyota 4Runner to replace my 1989 Chevy K1500 (4.3L Cheyenne, not silverado). Its a V6 standard trans, got 225,000 on it. No body rot, clean interior. No leaks, sound mechanically etc. Still have to test drive, this is just from a quick look and from what the owner told me. Do these generally last a long time, or is it on it's last leg?

Hey all, I'm looking at a 1990 Toyota 4Runner to replace my 1989 Chevy K1500 (4.3L Cheyenne, not silverado). Its a V6 standard trans, got 225,000 on it. No body rot, clean interior. No leaks, sound mechanically etc. Still have to test drive, this is just from a quick look and from what the owner told me. Do these generally last a long time, or is it on it's last leg?

Yes, the 4-runners last a long time. Especially if they have no rust. I hope to eek out >400K from mine. The one we currently have has 190K on it and all it takes is gas, oil (regular changes) and tires.

As long as the oil has been changed on a regular basis that Toyota motor will last forever.

I'd pass on that engine with those miles. The 3.0 V6 is not Toyota's best engine. I don't care who makes it or how it's been cared for, most rigs with that many miles are going to encounter problems. The 3.0s are a bitch to work on too. For the modest horse power it produces, the 3.0 sucks down a lot of gas too.

I believe those years also had issues with the heads going bad. as mentioend, if the body doesn't/isn't rotted out, then you should get a lot of miles from the 4runner.

junior

Check on the head gasket situation. If the problem was caught early, just the head gasket needed to be replaced. If it goes too long, then you're looking at head and block damage. Toyota did a recall, so get the vin # and call a dealer. The dealer can run the number and see what was done and if the vehicle is owed any outstanding work.

They do have a head gasket issue on the v6, the one on my 92 was repaired, and I haven't had a problem at all. 185000, runs great. Mileage not that great, about 13-15 mpg. Not a hot rod by any means, but good relaible transportation.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll be sure to check the VIN with a dealer before making any decisions.

Do not get the 3.0 V6. Trust me, I work for toyota and see all the problems, plus I owned one for a while.

Do not get the 3.0 V6. Trust me, I work for toyota and see all the problems, plus I owned one for a while.

wise words.

:lol:

Because of the head issue? Isn't this the same engine that was in the pickups?

Head issues, block issues, timing issues. EGR system ,etc, etc. Yes its the same engine that was in the truck. The main thing with that engine is that its very ineffeciant . 2 valves per cylinder? hahaha. My 4.7L V8 tundra gets better mileage then that 3.0L V6. :lol:

Get the 3.4 v6 its a much better engine. Better MPG and HP.

The engine was my main problem with my truck. main bearings, oil consumption, no power. Clutch wasn't good either.

If you can do mechanical repairs then don't be scared of a 200,000 mile old vehicle otherwise expect to be bled dry paying a mechanic to keep it running.

The engine was my main problem with my truck. main bearings, oil consumption, no power. Clutch wasn't good either.

If you can do mechanical repairs then don't be scared of a 200,000 mile old vehicle otherwise expect to be bled dry paying a mechanic to keep it running.

yup. In the last year of owning my truck I was spending $200-$500 a month to keep it on the road.

Ok, so maybe I'll overlook it. The 1990 4 Runner was definitly a 3.0, not a 3.4? Or was the 3.4 an option?

Ok, so maybe I'll overlook it. The 1990 4 Runner was definitly a 3.0, not a 3.4? Or was the 3.4 an option?

No it wasn't an option. Don't quote me but, I think the 3.4 wasn't offered until the next body change (maybe 93). I had a 97 4runner with auto and the 3.4 was the only six offered.

Just for the record the 3.4 is a great engine :lol:

Not the heavy duty tow vehicle but, I was still able to pull a 4k lbs boat over the sierra's at the legal limit. The 4runner never had a problem in 150k miles just did routine service. Traded it in on a 06 Tundra double-cab 4x4.

3.0L was the only V6.

Darn. It was in real great shape too. And for only $800. But, I don't want to deal with $250 a month just to keep it running.

On second thought, I'm going to buy it. I devised the plan to chop it up, do a tubular rear chassis, full roll, mog axles, and some beastly meats. Make it a non street legal romper. And if I'm feeling crafty, there's a running complete ford 429 thunderjet engine in my garage:devil: :lol: