A few ttr125 yz rear conversion updates

Hey smartt yamaha 127 your doing a nice job. I can't believe your 15 years old. That is truely impressive. You made the right move using the ttr everyone thinks its easier to put a ttr motor in a yz frame but its not. If you have any questions that I can help with dont hesitate to pm me. On your upper shock mount make sure you have room for the resevior to clear your air boot from the airbox to the carb.

Mike

hey, that bike looks sweet, those upgrades look great... how long did it take you mount all that stuff... does it add a lot of weight, or not too bad. that bike will be awesome... better for dirt jumping than the stock. Great Work!!!

Thanks!!! And the weight is about the same as stock. The ttr swingarm is a steal, and the yz is aluminum. And Its took me a while. I cant wait to get my new shock, and have my welding done. Then I can move on to some engine mods!!!

I believe by much better power, he means a nicer powerband for a relaxing ride.

Great write up, I'm glad someone is doing another one ( because the other one got lost a long time ago). Hopefely Mister Filipo puts this in the sticky. :lol:

I agree 356!

why dont you go and buy a yz85 then doing all that work for alot of money?????

Very cool! If I hadn't already dropped the cash for the BBR swingarm, I would shoot for this conversion myself. Poo on all the people whining and asking why you didn't just get a y-zinger. I, personally, don't like 2-smokes. Heck, everyone who has ridden my TTR 125 has said it's a FUN bike to ride. This is before my engine mods and pipe (which will be soon). FUN is why we all ride, right?

I have the YZ 85 USD forks, BBR frame cradle, swingarm and chain guide, bar risers (homemade), Gutz Racing tall seat foam w/gripper cover, and low Fastway pegs. I'm planning to add a better shock too (currently a stiffer spring on stock shock). I have someone lined up to bore and stroke it and put a new pipe on it.

This bike has been a super confidence builder for me. I have a lowered TTR 250 that I made street legal and ride dual sports on. The 125 now has the same seat height and very similar ergos to my 250. It may be slower, but I can ride it a LOT faster. :lol: It's great for me to trail ride on... I don't panic when I see sand and mud holes (heck, if I DO crash, at least I'm not killing myself trying to pick it up).

why dont you go and buy a yz85 then doing all that work for alot of money?????
because that defeats the whole purpose it is way cooler if you can take a stock bike and do that much to it and make it work right and you can brag about it

Hey smartt yamaha 127 your doing a nice job. I can't believe your 15 years old. That is truely impressive. You made the right move using the ttr everyone thinks its easier to put a ttr motor in a yz frame but its not. If you have any questions that I can help with dont hesitate to pm me. On your upper shock mount make sure you have room for the resevior to clear your air boot from the airbox to the carb.

Mike

its actualy not that hard to swap engines i've never done a ttr yz swap but i did put a ts 185 engine into a sl125 frame and it only took about 6 hrs and i had to make my own mounts and it worked good :lol:

Hey here's a ticket for the rear master cylinder. Get a late model big bike one. They are the same size, but they have a built in reservoir. I did that on a cr conversion I had. It looks much more trick and it's less hassle.

because that defeats the whole purpose it is way cooler if you can take a stock bike and do that much to it and make it work right and you can brag about it

I think it's worth adding that not only has a 15 year old "kid" got the brains and ability to completely overhaul a bike the way he wants to, but he tops it off by sharing the info for everyone else's benefit.

Way to go, man.

Thanks. I just ordered my shock tonight. Completely rebuilt and revalved by Clement Racing, Conroe, TX for a heavier rider and the fluid reservoir was modified to hold more fluid. This shock is going to work great with my new forks. I almost have the project complete. I just need to make the mounting tab for the brake master cylinder, and weld the bottom shock mount solid!!! Then I need to order a BBR frame cradle again (I sold my old one), and get the yz80 carb dialed in. Oh, and I got some graphics for my b. day (which is tomorow, but the package came in early). I will also be putting my new blue gas cap on the bike!!! If you guys can hold on just a bit longer, I will have some pics. My fork seals should be done by the 23rd. And I wont have anytime to work on the bike till then (going to Mexico on a mission trip with my church to build a house!!!).

Excellent write up!!

I have a friend that is about to attempt the rear end conversion, this will help lots.

Cheers, #319

Well, Please let me know if anyone is going to try this!!! I have ordered almost 2 of everything!!! So I have lots of spare parts!!! Good stuff too.

Well, Please let me know if anyone is going to try this!!! I have ordered almost 2 of everything!!! So I have lots of spare parts!!! Good stuff too.
SM127,

My friend just "won" the swinger/linkage, shock and brake assy. from egay yesterday.

He's still looking for a wheel or at least the hub/rotor/sprocket, can you help us out?

Cheers, #319

Here's a photo of his bike with the YZ85 front end.

cd2c94aa.jpg

K, I now have the brake tab welded on, and the brakes work ok, but they stick though. Whats the deal??? I just put new fluid in. Im soo exited. Im like 90% done. The forks and shock are set up for me, and front and rear disk brakes!!!

there is usually a fairly strong "return" spring on the brake pedal to pull it back up on pretty much all bikes, also other sticking areas can be the pad hold in pin(s), the caliper slider pins (silicone brake lubricant) the actual brake pedal pivot (grease) and the master cylinder actuator pivot (grease)

great write up and pics, i'm thinking about doing this to my girlfriends bike... want to do the forks first though

finally, someone doing a bit of step-by-step so we can all see how it's done.

Whoever asked, I thought about using the YZ frame, but the YZ swingarm mounts thru the back of the engine, and I really didn't want to dink with the extra welding and lining up the engine proper-like.

Smartt guy, I may not follow your lead with the washers as spacers where the YZ swingarm mounts to the YZ engine. I think I'll be firing up the lathe and building a piece to fill that gap, either welding it to the swingarm or having it seal up with o-rings.

Glad to see someone stepping up and getting 'er done, since the BBR guys seem more interested in selling me one of their swingarms.

Ya lol. Give me a few more weeks, and when school is out, I will udpade the thread. NEW PICS, and fill in all the little details I missed.