Sign in to follow this  

just broke off drive sprocket cover?

came back from a ride today, went to wash bike and realised that the drive sprocket cover, spacers, steel mud ring and bolts were no longer there. the mounts on the bike are both broken, top one has about two to three useable threads bottom has none. had a small get off but nothing big. any ideas on how to fix and is it really important.:lol:

Are you saying that you busted everything off and the stock case saver is no longer there? If so I your still okay if the case dosn't leak any oil. Just be carefull not to get anything caught in the front sprocket and pray that you dont bust a chain and then blow a hole in you case. Other then that your fine.

Yeah, the plastic guard itself is no great loss. I have always pulled mine off, anyway. However, if you're no longer able to bolt up your case saver, then that can be a big problem. And unfortunately, I'm not aware of an easy fix for that...being a cast piece, it would likely be tough if not impossible to even weld onto to build the broken sections back up for drilling and tapping...

This just happend to me this weekend due to a chain break. I was thinking i could use a longer bolt and use the broken cast piece as a spacer, that way i can still use the case saver. It was a good thing it was there. I will pick up a new saver today and let you know how it worked. I may put a little jb weld to keep it in place.

This just happend to me this weekend due to a chain break. I was thinking i could use a longer bolt and use the broken cast piece as a spacer, that way i can still use the case saver. It was a good thing it was there. I will pick up a new saver today and let you know how it worked. I may put a little jb weld to keep it in place.

You won't be able to use the original bolts for the case saver without the plastic guard. They're too long. Shorter bolts will be in order....but that's not a big ordeal, just about any bike shop should have the correct bolts in different lengths.

Many years back I popped a chain at the farthest place from my garage (of course) and it totally took out my case saver and mangled my case. the case guard on the CR125 I was riding was made out of aluminum and real cheap. it did not save my case....at all

Many years back I popped a chain at the farthest place from my garage (of course) and it totally took out my case saver and mangled my case. the case guard on the CR125 I was riding was made out of aluminum and real cheap. it did not save my case....at all

Yep, the stocker's aren't exactly the beefiest available.

The chain guard is designed to keep stuff out, not protect the case in the event of a thrown chain.

Even if you install a beefier guard, it's still only good for one thrown chain.

The chain guard is designed to keep stuff out, not protect the case in the event of a thrown chain.

Even if you install a beefier guard, it's still only good for one thrown chain.

Not sure if your post was in reference to mine, or not. I'm talking about the case saver, not the guard....

I'm talking about the whole assembly. The bolts will break out of the case any time the chain gets thrown. It's doesn't matter what you have installed down there. In fact, the beefier you make a guard, the more likely that you'll break the thread bosses out of the case. The flimsy guard is designed to give as much as possible before the bolts get pulled out of the case.

I'm talking about the whole assembly. The bolts will break out of the case any time the chain gets thrown. It's doesn't matter what you have installed down there. In fact, the beefier you make a guard, the more likely that you'll break the thread bosses out of the case. The flimsy guard is designed to give as much as possible before the bolts get pulled out of the case.

OK, I believe I get ya' now. Wouldn't the bolts be less likely to break or get sheared off if they were shorter for running the case saver alone without the guard itself?