Sign in to follow this  

minimum valve clearance??

after running the bike in and have an hours riding on a real track iv ajusted my timming chain and checked the valve clearance the exhusts are well in spec but according to the manual the intake minimum clearence is .15 and the biggest i can get through is a .11 should i reshim, its just iv read clearance values from other topics that are different (06 bike)

Is this a common thing with all of the Suzuki's, I think I found two other posts stating the same thing? I just bought a left over 05 and the intake valves were tight before I even broke it in, the exhaust valves were in spec. The valves stayed exactly the same after break in.

Two of mine were tight from the factory. Im guessing its not just suzukis? Get it in spec. Chances are good you wont need to adjust them again for quite a while.

WOW, I guess I will check mine ASAP with only 2 hours on it so far. I am not a betting man but I bet the intakes are tight, Suzuki wouldn't let me down.:lol: Both my DRZ400's had tight intakes within the 1st 8 hours of use. Once they were set loose they never moved. Exhaust valves always seem to be in spec. Is there a good reason they would set them tight? I know on a streetbike they would to reduce the noise that the sound regs are listening for every bit helps I guess.

Learning to shim your valves is an important step in maintaining a dirtbike. Once you learn to do it, it becomes easier and easier each time. And yes, you should adjust them.