Orion vs. "Name brand" bikes

Hey there... Yes I have seen the other Threads about these bikes, BUT my question is this: I have a friend who is going to start riding this summer. Would you recommend the Orion bikes to a beginner? I saw the 250 (Orion)and LOOKS nice, but is it really? My opinion is to stick to the name brands: Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc. you know they can take a beating. BUT since he is a beginner and has never been on a dirtbike before does it really matter what he starts out on? What is anyone elses opinion? Would love some input from fellow TTers!

• 1 month later...

i am also looking at the 250cc by orion.. i have their 110 and i like it a lot.. i am a new rider and i have no fear, so i put my 110 through some rough times.. and it seemed to hold up just fine... i want a bigger bike but the name brand ones are just not in my budget at the moment, plus ive never ridin a 250 so the orion might be the right one for me... anyone have anything to say about that???

I dont know what a Orion bike is, but if its one of those bikes made in China hes better off getting a name brand bike. They are alot safer and reliable. He will probablly hurt himself alot more on a bike like that then a bigger name brand bike.

i am also looking at the 250cc by orion.. i have their 110 and i like it a lot.. i am a new rider and i have no fear, so i put my 110 through some rough times.. and it seemed to hold up just fine... i want a bigger bike but the name brand ones are just not in my budget at the moment, plus ive never ridin a 250 so the orion might be the right one for me... anyone have anything to say about that???
Is there such thing as "No Fear" when your riding an Orion 110? I would spend the extra $ and get anything japanese made over the chinese bike.

If I'm not mistaken, Orion motorcycles are made in Italy, and have been around since the 1920's. That's a lot longer then any Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki has been around. Isn't it great how the China bashers come forth and spew their mindless crap before they check into the facts?

I'd rather get a name brand. Resale value will probably be better. You know you've got a bike thats been tried and proven many times over. Plus the fact that you can easily get parts for them. Thats a big upside to a bike like a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kawasaki. Even going with a Husky or something you start getting away from this.

based on experience by people who use chinese made bikes here, they would rather buy a 2nd hand jap bike than ride a crappy new chinese bike. i tell yah these china made bikes couldnt stand up to the rigors of off road riding. like one time i saw this guy on a brandnew new 200cc china dirtbike trying go fast in some gravel road and to no surprises his biked broke in 2 pieces after unintentionally nose diving into a rutt. yeah some of them may look cool but honestly their crap!!! buy a jap bike instead. and hey, tell your friend to buy a CRF230 or TTR230 or any good begginer bike made by the big 4. not some crappy china made one that has no replacement parts available and runs like a crappy lawnmower.

I can speak from experience : Chinese quality control is nonexistent !

I bought two 70 cc beginer bikes for the kids . Had to basically reassemble the entire bike - re tighten every nut and bolt . The piston rings should have been made from tin , they might have lasted longer . While these bikes looked GREAT on the showroom floor , that didn't last long . Every part that was made from steel rusted in two weeks . The chain's seem to need adjusting during a day on the trails . I finally cut my losses and bought 2 Hondas .

The prices of these things are such a teaser . Just wait until you need to get parts . If you can find a supplier , the replacement items are just as crappy as the piece that broke !

But hey , if your goal is to become a good trouble shooter / wrench turner , go right ahead . There's days of pulling hair , clenching teeth , and the occasional curse the dog in store . :censored:

i picked up an rion 110 as my first bike ever.. i liked the way it looked and the cost was cheap.. i rode it around and trailed it with some buddies that have honda 50's, and some others that had chinese made like me.. my bike seemed to be the best that first day i rode it.. well oil started leaking like a mother, the rear sprokett gasket came off.. my engine ran dry and i didnt even know .. the engine was blown just 2 weeks after i got it... it was kind of my fault for not checking the oil, but things like that shouldnt even happen.. i really want a big bike and i have decided to stay away from the chinese bikes and save up for a honda!!!!!!!!! thanx everyone for your inputs!!!!