Which seat in the best for my DRZ 400

I love my DRZ 400 but i want to take it on longs trips, but not into the sore butt. I've already tried a Corbon seat and that was a joke. I want to keep my bike , but if i can't compromise on a comfortable ride, i'm going to have to get a street bike. I don't care about the looks, ( the corbin blue was ugly anyways) iI just want to ride. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You in advance.?

I emailed them a couple of times telling them how unhappy i was with there seat ( very unconfortable, soaks up water when left uncovered, poor color match), and never got a reply.I had a buddy talk to them personally at the Americade telling them how unhappy he was with his $600 seat and they kinda blew him off saying he needed to 'break his seat in" (he had 18,000 miles on the seat on his FJR but didn't want to get rid of it because of the price he paid for it), so I kind of gave up on them. I'd pay extra for the extra padding on it if they'd redo it, and I'd even give them the new material that matched the color of the bike. i just wann keep the bike, IT ROCKS>?

When I first got my bike I thought the stock seat was awful, but then after riding every day I found that my but got used to the seat, and it's not so bad. It is designed for dirt riding not touring, but I have taken my bike on rides that excede 100 miles, and it's really not that bad for a dirt bike seat. Have you ever tried a Honda CRF450X seat? When I was looking for my bike I sat on one of those and that was a really hard seat.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

How about this seat, http://www.billmayersaddles.com/Suzuki.DRZ.html has anybody tried it. i was wondering about it and how much it weighs also. the corbin was very heavy.?

I've been riding SPort & Adventure BMWs for many, many years, and Bill Mayer Saddles are very well known in that group. They are one of the best premium seats in the business and get great reviews from everyone that tries them.

They are very expensive, but they are also custom designed for your bike, the type of riding you do, and for your size, weight and rear end size (and I don't mean that big black tire on the back end of your bike).:confused:

Consequently, they want you to come in for an interview and a custom measurement and fitting, that's the only way they can get it right. Yes, sometimes they'll get your info over the phone, but you will not get the best fit possible, and that means that your chances of pure satisfaction are diminished.

CORBIN seats work great....sometimes!! I've found that if your rear end fits the CORBIN cup/seat, AFTER many miles of break-in, they do work great. My experience comes from 3 CORBIN seats, and I have always been very pleased for the money I spent. I'm currently breaking in a new CORBIN for my BMW R100GS, and while it's a bit hard at new, I completely am satisfied with the support and ability to ride all day long in it. I just can't wait til it loosens up a bit more. :confused: Remember, softness in a seat does not mean all day comfort.....it's all about support

I don't have the money to spend on a Bill Mayer Seat, so I've got a DRZ400S Corbin on order. After break-in, I'll let you know how happy I am with the CORBIN seat fitting MY REAR END on this SUZUKI!!

I sat on a standard Corbin and wasn't impressed either. I ended up getting a raised Corbin (same height as stock), it is not rock hard like the regular Corbin, and works very well for 300-400 mile a day rides.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewmod&mid=30923

EXACTLY!. Mine is almost identical to the pic on ly it has gripper sides. Added padding makes a big difference. Tell your friend not to give up on the FZR either.

I did talk to Corbin today. They said they didn't know what I mean about extra padding for my seat. I asked them if they could add more and they said it would make it the same height as the stock seat. I never had a problem with the stock height nor did I tell them I had a problem with the stock height. I also told them that the blue didn't match my bike and it soaked up water like a sponge when it rained. They told me that I should have ordered it with a color that matched my bike ( I thought that when I told them I had a blue DRZ, they would already have that figured out), and not to leave it out in the rain. Anyhow they said it would be about $130 to correct this. should I put any more money in this seat or just out it on Ebay. I guess when you buy a Corbin it is like buying a Harley. You are paying for the name, not QUALITY.?

I did talk to Corbin today. They said they didn't know what I mean about extra padding for my seat. I asked them if they could add more and they said it would make it the same height as the stock seat. I never had a problem with the stock height nor did I tell them I had a problem with the stock height. I also told them that the blue didn't match my bike and it soaked up water like a sponge when it rained. They told me that I should have ordered it with a color that matched my bike ( I thought that when I told them I had a blue DRZ, they would already have that figured out), and not to leave it out in the rain. Anyhow they said it would be about $130 to correct this. should I put any more money in this seat or just out it on Ebay. I guess when you buy a Corbin it is like buying a Harley. You are paying for the name, not QUALITY.?

I have heard numerous complaints with Corbin. My father had to return a seat for his ST1100 because it didn't fit properly. He got another one in (they charged him chipping both ways) and it STILL didn't fit! He did some cutting to make it work, and it still doesn't fit properly. A lot of people on the FZ1 board also have had a lot of problems with Corbin, both in customer service and quality control. Numerous people (we're talking a few dozen) on the GS500 board have written to Corbin asking them to make seats for the newer model GSes, and Corbin says, in not so many words, "No. We don't want to and we don't have to because we're Corbin. If you want one, bring your bike in and we'll make one custom for you. Oh yeah, it'll cost you twice the normal cost for a seat."

Sargent seats have a much better reputation, and from what I've seen, are much higher quality as well.

I have the Bill Mayer seat -(http://www.billmayersaddles.com/Suzuki.DRZ.html ),

so far 18,000 miles on it. Very very comfortable and imho looks great as well.

It is much lighter than the very heavy Corbin. Cost me $400 if

I remember correctly.

The only problem I had was that a 2 inch portion of the seam, in the thigh area, came apart twice (at 500 and 7000 miles). They fixed it after the first mishap saying the thread material was bad.

I did not have a chance to have it fixed for the second time

due to the logistics of the whole thing - the bike stored in Boise, me on Maui.

Another seat I feel is worth looking at is

Mr. Ed's:

http://www.mredsmoto.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=21

Press them on th efix and on the blue, they should make it right. Check on th esite and find out about the lifetime repairs.

When I asked them about adding padding, they were like "what do you mean?" so I took a pic of the stock seat and did a drawing.

You can bootleg the picture of my seat out of my garage and send that to them. TThen push the on the padding. They should do that n/c but the color, you might try a local leather shop.

Why didnt you just go with black?

Hope they take care of you, I really like mine.