Sign in to follow this  

xt600 with yz490 forks

I have a '84 xt600 and am concidering mounting the front forks and triple tree from a '82 yz490. Would this be a easy operations and what sort of difference would I knowtice? I ride mainly forestry roads and a few single track mountain trails.

I have a '84 xt600 and am concidering mounting the front forks and triple tree from a '82 yz490. Would this be a easy operations and what sort of difference would I knowtice? I ride mainly forestry roads and a few single track mountain trails.

I'm not sure how much better it would be. It's just replacing one damper rod fork with another. I would imagine that the springs in the YZ forks would be lighter since the XT is so much heavier.

i was looking to upgrade the forks on my xt600 to..i asked some questions and one person replied that the yz 490 forks are a lot more heavy duty..yes the xt is heavier but the yz's are made for jumps and im pretty sure those forks would be a lot better. I know where your coming from with those stock ones they are horrible:bonk: ..id definitly try the yz forks

What about how difficult a job it would be? Any cutting and welding or is it a straight bolt on swap?

this is the reply i got a few months back.....

Re: xt600 front suspention

I had an 84TT600 and I believe the forks were 43mm? Anyway, I replaced my springs with the heaviest YZ490 springs from the same year. I was racing MX on it though. I did have to make a larger spring collar out of aluminium to fit the rear spring and make a grove in the shock body for the upper clip as the spring was longer as well as larger in diameter. This worked great for me.

With a little more seaching, I've discovered that the yz use a drum up untill '84 I believe, so I'm going to look for one with a disk setup as I think this will be an easier conversion and still retail what litle stopping power that the xt tank has.

Still wondering if the swap will bolt right on and go or if any change to stearing angle is required.