Sign in to follow this  

New gripper seat!!! Does anyone have suggestions on the install?

I just bought my son a new gripper seat for his TTR125. This is the genuine Yamaha one. Dose anyone have any suggestions on how to install this cover? I want to make sure the wrinkles remain out of it. :lol:

Start by stapling down the front. Then stretch the cover tight from the front to the rear and add a few staples. Then start pulling the edges down from the front and add a staple about every inch. Getting the cover hot with a heat gun helps the process. There not hard to install, they just take time.

First you want to start from the back, You then wanna start going up the seat. and put a staple about every 4 inches, so if you mess up somthing you can just pop out one staple and not 5. Then once the staples are in(every 4 inches) you go back and look for rinkles and smooth them out to the side wtih your hand and pull the seat cover and staple. and just do that all the way up.

Oh yeah make sure you start your stapling on the side that has a logo or somthing so you know how to center it.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I take my seats to a shop around the corner for $25 two hours later :lol:

Ditto that. Putting a gripper cover on was the single most frustrating thing I've ever attempted. I wound up taking my stuff to an upholstery shop. Been doing that ever since.

Generaly costs me around 20-25 bucks.

It just takes patience, and alot of it!!!

Just don't be afraid to take out the staples and redo them if you need to. I think thats the key. Also helps if you have a second person, atleast in the beginning to help you line it up.

Found this on motocross101.com

Got a new dirt bike seat cover with your super flash graphics kit? Fitting seat covers can be tedious, have a look at these steps to try and make the job a little easier.

Removing your old seat cover

To remove your old dirt bike seat cover get a small flat bladed screwdriver and lift up the old staples. With a pair of pliers grab the staple and remove it. Once the coveris off have a look at the foam underneath, if it's come away from the frame anywhere,glue it back down.

Fitting your new seat cover

- Fit the cover to the front of the seat frame, most covers have a moulded front section, pull it down tight. Place a couple of staples through the cover into the seat frame.

- Pull the cover back to the rear of the seat and line it up centrally on the frame. Useeither some graphics on the seat or make sure there's the same amount of material on eachside. Place a couple of staples in at the back.

- Pull each side of the cover down in the middle of the seat and place a couple of staples along the length of the side. If the seat cover has to line up with some graphics on your bikes tank or radiator shrouds then sit the seat on the bike and check the alignment. Pull some staples out and adjust the cover if necessary.

- Once you're happy everything's lined up then place a staple into the cover about every 20mm (3/4 in.). Continue along until the cover's completely fastened. Work any excess material in under the seat so it pulls the creases out of the top. Trim off any extra bits when you're done.

- Just a couple of final points, an electric stapler makes fitting dirt bike seat covers so much easier. Also, see if you're able to remove the mounting brackets from the underside of the seat frame, they can get in your way otherwise.

Yeah I was about to also point out that is VERY frustrating.

gripper seat covers are easy if you take your time, use an electric stapler to make sure they get down into the plastic, dont leave any loose for the fact that directly below your seat is your air box, also use a heat gun or hair drier to stretch the seat out as your pulling. Its also nice to have a spare set of hands to to stretch and staple, oyea and dont use to long of staples or they will poke ya when your ridding! ( it hurts)

I have done vinyl seat covers before, but they did not have the curve this seat does. Are the gripper seat covers harder to install then the vinyl?

Thanks...

I just bought my son a new gripper seat for his TTR125. This is the genuine Yamaha one. Dose anyone have any suggestions on how to install this cover? I want to make sure the wrinkles remain out of it. :lol:
Set the front up nice and even, now tack it in the very back. Pull is snug, keep it aligned if it has a pattern. Now start stapling it down ont he sides. You will have to pull some staples and redo them as you go to get more wrinkles out. I use a T50 stapler with the short 3/16" staples.

I just also got a new grip seat cover for my 06 CRF450R. I took it to a local guy who does uphosltery (sp). He said the grip seats are more of a pain. He was explaining some stuff to me but it went over my head. He is the expert I just ride. But paying him $25 on friday when I pick it up will be worth it.

When I put on my gripper seat cover it was pretty easy. I started with the front, put a couple staples and stretched it over the back and put a couple staples. Then just worked my way down both sides. just make sure you have a decent staple gun, because mine is a peice of crap.