That US magazine thing again

Just an FYI note, as we are always beefing about our US magazines

One of our crew just returned from the homeland (Italia) He brought Motociclismo Fuoristrada (offroad motorcycle) and some other Italian bike mags,,,,oddly enough when they test mx and offroad bikes they test.....Hon, Kaw,Yam,Suz,,,just like our mags but wait there are also TM, KTM, HBG, HUSKY, Sherco, Beta, GasGas, Aprilia and now even Benelli included in these tests and wow there is even a newer Italain cottage brand that I don't even remember the name of with a carbon composite chassis for exotic Italian design with another in house designed motor. And they have fact data of lap times, braking distances, dyno, speed in gears, speed to distance, speed over terrain, using good testers as we do here, pro MXrs WEC riders etc.... The test data is so very much more scientific with seat of the pants opinions as well. They even have a Merriman test with real time data aquisition read outs as he does the special test at the Bergamo round of the WEC. Fun to follow and seeing as he rarely opens the throttle all the way as fast as he is!!I know our guys are in the game and can do this type of deal,,, I hope we can get the fluff out and gather some machinery and step up. My rant is done and I will get out and ride my HVA now!!!! (without all that data aquisition stuff hangin off!!!)?

It is ver nice that there is mag:s that test our bikes with a stopwatch.

I read alot of amercan bike mag:s, but i have´nt seen any stopwatch in those tests.

I subscribe on Dirt Bike for some years. But i am not sure i will buy a another subscr. They have passed the line to many times.

But there is a lot of talking about how fun it is rebuilding bikes with a lot of trick parts.

A bike poor equiped get higher rating, becuse it so fun buying expensive parts.

AND rebuild it so it can be fast.

Last number they raving about Yam 250WR. One coment they had: isn´t so fast but that is good thing. :confused:

But Yamaha hade some realy big ads in Dirt Bike hmmmm?

Another coment about NO BIG ADS brands is, it don´t feel fast. I don´t think Merriman can use that coment in WEC so hi can win. I am pretty sure they count seconds in WEC.

Happy riding Klas :crazy:

Grabbed the Feb. '07 issue of Motorcyclist that arrived in the mail this week as I headed for my Saturday morning sit down a little while ago. What do I see? "KTM 450 EXC - finally, a serious dirtbike that's 100 percent street legal". Apparently these idiots don't even know Husky exists. Only mention of any other bike in the one-page ad...oh sorry, "article" was this: "Suzuki's DR-Z400S is the most comparable dual-sport bike..."

If you want to send them a note advising them they need to pull their heads out of their orange butts: mcmail@primedia.com

Grabbed the Feb. '07 issue of Motorcyclist that arrived in the mail this week as I headed for my Saturday morning sit down a little while ago. What do I see? "KTM 450 EXC - finally, a serious dirtbike that's 100 percent street legal". Apparently these idiots don't even know Husky exists. Only mention of any other bike in the one-page ad...oh sorry, "article" was this: "Suzuki's DR-Z400S is the most comparable dual-sport bike..."

If you want to send them a note advising them they need to pull their heads out of their orange butts: mcmail@primedia.com

I agree, it is total B.S. that because Husky doesn't throw money at these people, they are not given any recognition. I posted this thread after reading my January 07 copy of Dirt Bike.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453181

I'm seriously thinking about ending my subscriptions to all my off-road magazines.

I agree, it is total B.S. that because Husky doesn't throw money at these people, they are not given any recognition. I posted this thread after reading my January 07 copy of Dirt Bike.

I'm seriously thinking about ending my subscriptions to all my off-road magazines.

hey,

there is a very good british magazine called TBM published every month that is pretty good. No mx stuff though all just enduro, trail riding and trials but they test all bikes not just the main players. worth a subscription in my opinion

no i dont work for them?http://www.trailbikemag.com/

I actually sent an email to Motorcyclist expressing my dissapointment as a subscriber over the omission of Husqvarna and suggested it was related to corresponding lack of Husqvarna advertising dollars. I got a very quick response from one of the editors (good) but with a pretty average exlanation - he likes Husky's, used to have one growing up... Here is an excerpt of the response:

"But to argue your point, Husky only started producing "serious" street-legal dirtbikes last year, and even then they were only able to do so because as a low-volume manufacturer they're allowed to meet less-stringent emissions standards than the major OEMs--including KTM.

All that said, MC has only started to toe the dirtbike waters, and if response continues to be as positive as it has to date, we'll be testing Huskys soon enough."

We'll see. I really am amazed that they passed on any mention of Husky's - Motorcyclist is one of more more favorite US mags because of their broad coverage of all of biking...

I actually sent an email to Motorcyclist [snip] Here is an excerpt of the response:

"But to argue your point, Husky only started producing "serious" street-legal dirtbikes last year, and even then they were only able to do so because as a low-volume manufacturer they're allowed to meet less-stringent emissions standards than the major OEMs--including KTM."

That logic, or lack thereof, is so convoluted I can't even believe it. My response to that would be, "So?" KTM only started producing serious street-legal dirtbikes THIS year! That's the whole point, Husky beat them to it. And if Husky was able to qualify their bikes in all 50 states only because of their lower volume, I don't see where that invalidates that they did it. Is MC reviewing EPA/DOT regulations or are they reviewing motorcycles? The fact is the Husky is a motorcycle available to the buying public since 2006 and perfectly fits the category under discussion. It clearly deserved to be mentioned.

I sent them mail too. I haven't received a reply but I sent it yesterday so I'm sure their offices were closed. I'll post it if I get something from them on Monday...err Tuesday if they're closed for MLK day.

hey,

there is a very good british magazine called TBM published every month that is pretty good. No mx stuff though all just enduro, trail riding and trials but they test all bikes not just the main players. worth a subscription in my opinion

no i dont work for them?http://www.trailbikemag.com/

It actually looks like a good magazine and I was getting ready to subscribe to it, but I can't see paying $66.00 for a one year magazine subscription.

It actually looks like a good magazine and I was getting ready to subscribe to it, but I can't see paying $66.00 for a one year magazine subscription.

It does look good, but I get $108/year for a subscription rate to the US!?! That's pretty pricey stuff.

It does look good, but I get $108/year for a subscription rate to the US!?! That's pretty pricey stuff.

I just got $100.228 on the universal exchange site, that's about $20 more than a year ago when I thought it was too much! Mike Kay sent me a copy and it is a cool mag. Union has a few benefits.... guy in Belfast pays 12 quid less a year than a guy in Dublin. I do wish UK would switch to Euro though, I can't buy anything from UK with $1.96 to 1 UK pound.

Norman

It's too bad about the cost. I have to admit that I really like the Brit bike magazines in general. I have always thought that BIKE was one of the best street bike mags and now that Motorcyclist has so impugned the good standing of Husqvarna as a true D/S bike , well, that makes BIKE the undisputed #1 street magazine.

hey,

there is a very good british magazine called TBM published every month that is pretty good. No mx stuff though all just enduro, trail riding and trials but they test all bikes not just the main players. worth a subscription in my opinionhttp://www.trailbikemag.com/

I get that one through my machinist that is from the UK and gets sent these mags. Very cool little mag. Lot's of Husky and other coverage. He also gets Bike mag which i agree, excellent mag. One thing I find cool and funny about UK mags it that they have naked women and cuss all over in it. Very liberal mag and attitude. Makes me understand how uptight we (US) are about things and how ridiculous it is.

cos i am such a nice guy !! and my house is filling up with magazines..if anybody wants a copy of tbm as a sample i will send over a few..from the last year or so..some of you guys seem to know each other personally so you could pass them around between you...

pm me an address and i'll dig some out (and ill figure out what i can trade for them? )