Sign in to follow this  

Switching from Dirt to Supermoto

I've just started riding in the dirt after road racing for a little while and want to do some supermoto. My question is how different is suspension and bike set up from one to the other. My dirt bike is a RMZ 450. I may have a line on a 04 CRF 450 that I could turn into a supermoto. Is it to much to expect the bike to do double duty?

Thanks,

Carey

Hey Carey,

I am in the same boat as you. Starting a 450F project and phasing out of MX. I have a YZF 450 '06 and a YZF 426 '02. Lucky for me that most SM parts fit both models, so you may want to keep one strictly MX? I found that stock valving and spring rate is sufficient for the beginner with the exception of adjusting compression to stiffin up the front and rear. Have not figured sag yet so keeping it at 100mm. Got to supermotojunkie.com for some good advice, plenty of parts out there for you also.

Jeff

if you came from road racing take all of your knoledge and put it into supermoto. that will give you a good edge on the road part since it would be about 70/80 percent of the track. but remember the dirt and jumps, loosen the suspension a bit for it.

remember, its a compromise, if you stifen too much for the road, you´ll lose it on the dirt. if you soften alot for the dirt, the bike will woble all over the asfault.

personaly, I prefer to set it for the road and go smooth on the dirt, taking advantage of every groove and everything Ican suport the byke on the curves

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to give it a go with one bike for now. Can't wait to give the 450 a try on the asphalt.