Handguard Woes, Which Ones Are You Running??

• 1 year later...

A friend gave me his pair of Acerbis handguards that he originally had on his bmw x challenge.

When it came time to mounting on my xr650l, I found that the "shaft" that goes into the end of the bar was way too large to fit in the end of the bar.

Is there a specific size handguard that fits xr650l bars?

Thanks.

-Scott

I had to dremel out the throttle side pretty wide, the other side was just filled with grip glue. There's probably different sized inserts, the ones I just mounted had a rubber sleeve that fit over the inside-the-bar wedge.

I love these things - they do a great job protecting the bars & controls, even if they do twist slightly in a crash. The ones on my CR are way out of wack, but that doesn't seem to matter at all.

Clintp,

I don't think dremeling is the answer in my situation. The handguard insert is just too wide.

Do you have specific details on insert sizes available?

Do you know the size of the stock xr650l bars? 7/8?

Thanks.

-Scott

I had to dremel out the throttle side pretty wide, the other side was just filled with grip glue. There's probably different sized inserts, the ones I just mounted had a rubber sleeve that fit over the inside-the-bar wedge.

I love these things - they do a great job protecting the bars & controls, even if they do twist slightly in a crash. The ones on my CR are way out of wack, but that doesn't seem to matter at all.

There are different mounts depending on the size of bars you have. If you are running stock bars, they are 7/8". Here's a page from the TT store that shows the different ones available:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2007/default.asp?p=591

I'm pretty sure you want the outer mounts for steel bars but you may call the TT store to verify.

Clintp,

I don't think dremeling is the answer in my situation. The handguard insert is just too wide.

Thanks.

-Scott

Something like the M6002-10 + M6002-11 is likely needed for stock bars.

I was careful not to nick the inside of the bars but I had to open up the throttle tube quite a bit & cut a ton of grip off the outside edge (leave the outside rib, a big razor worked better for me than x-acto). It was the first set I've installed, my other pair came with the other new to me bike. I think jbird put you on the right path.

Most handguards are made for aluminum handle bars.

Steel have a smaller Inside Diameter. Which stock "L's" are. I had to buy a set of Alum bars to get my Fastways to work.

Fastways are great with the intergrated damper mount.

I'm an idiot ? Upon closer inspection, it was the throttle end cap that was inhibiting the handguard mount to slide into the end of the bar.

A bit of dremeling on the throttle to open up the hole and the handguard mount slid in just fine.

Aside from the dremeling, the Aceberis guards mounted right up.

-Scott

Clintp,

Thanks.

-Scott

I use the original Barkbuster guards (from Australia), also had to cut the little balls off the levers.

I guess they are there to prevent the levers digging into you in a crash, and with the handguards thats not going to happen, so dont need them.

Pic here

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6653510#post6653510

Polisport handguards.Were cutted and modified.Added some home made Stainless steel spacers to get some extra room for cables. On the inside of the handle bar i applied some Berner concrete metal bushings to have more solid grip.About 30 euros total cost.

IMG_0532.jpg

mota002.jpg