Sign in to follow this  

Finally finished rebuilding my 81 XR200R

Ohh that sucks. I have been doing small odds and ends on my bike today. Adding some stickers to the fenders. going to paint the front stock number plate until I get a new one. Thinking about how I want the graphics on the tank to come out.

I've been wanting to start on my next project bike, the xr400, but I'm just not feeling good enough to start, plus it's really cold in my garage.

you should post up some before pics to tease us.

If I feel good enough tomorrow, maybe I will. It's not too much to look at now, but that will all change soon.

Dang that is what you are starting off with? It's already even assmbled and all there. Now I'm jealous. That is a great bike to start a project off from. I'll get some new pics tomorrow, going riding a day early.

Dang that is what you are starting off with? It's already even assmbled and all there. Now I'm jealous. That is a great bike to start a project off from. I'll get some new pics tomorrow, going riding a day early.

It looks better than it is. It won't start, it has a cracked subframe, both tires are shot and I was told that it smokes when it's cold. So I'll most likely take it all apart and fix it up and add my touch to it.

Well, I got the bugs out of the carb so it idles real nice now. With any luck, I'll try it out at Metcalf this Sunday.

Hey fordfreak, does your bike make noticable noise from the cam or cam chain area?

it did when i first got it. But with the new timing chain it is pretty quiet. If I am leaning down by the motor I can hear it but not if I am standing up. Have you tried adjusting your chain yet? I also have read that some times they just make noise. Some guys always complain theirs makes noise and some are like mine they never make a sound. I also forgot to adjust my valves on the initial start up , so they made a little noise. I adjusted them before I went riding and they were pretty quiet too. I have groves in my case where the cam chain was hitting as it was never adjusted. My cam chain tensioner still looked brand new. It didn't even have a wear mark on it. My new cam chain was pretty tight though.

If you get to go riding on Sunday let us know how it goes. Also do me a favor. When shifting into second roll on the throttle not slam it open and see if your front end pulls up off the ground and also in third. I am getting about 5" of ground clearance when shifting and just rolling on the throttle. I have not shifted and cracked the throttle wide open yet. I also rode the bike on the worn out rear tire. I had lots of spin from it. I'll be getting my new tires soon. Eventually we are going to have to meet up and take these ol girls out for a ride together.

Yeah this thing makes about the same amount of noise as my crf250x. I had the chain checked by a local bike shop and he said it was fine and didn't need replacing. I'll check to see if it lifts the front like you said your did, but you got to remember that I out weigh you by 25-30lbs, so I'm not sure if it will do that. I did rode it around the block Wed evening and from a slow rolling start it lifted the front pretty good in 1st gear. I'd like to go for a ride down by your neck of the woods someday. Maybe after you get yours all finished and I make sure all the bugs are out of mine we can meet up somewhere?

No, I was too tired from Sat's outing. Didn't get up till almost 1100 on Sun. I'll try this weekend if it doesn't rain.

hopefully it is dry up there. It is supposed to do some raining down here on fri then clear up for the weekend.

Well did ya get any riding in? I took the ol bike out today with my new front tire. I need a new back tire really bad. Ill post a couple of pics I took before our ride on my thread tomorrow.