Sign in to follow this  

Finally finished rebuilding my 81 XR200R

No not yet. I was out of town Fri and Sat and yesterday was my birthday so I had to stay around so I could eat and drink alot. As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to eat some more cake right now.

Nice job, I bet it's a blast to ride!

Thanks, I've only taken it around the block a few times so it's still a virgin to the trail. I'll let you guys know how she does once I take her out.

Hey Hawkeye nice bike man...almost looks as good as mine lol jk...youve inspired me to give ol red a facelift, She always starts the first time but the fenders are kinda startin to fade. Jus wonderin what did you do with the rear shock?

Hey Hawkeye nice bike man...almost looks as good as mine lol jk...youve inspired me to give ol red a facelift, She always starts the first time but the fenders are kinda startin to fade. Jus wonderin what did you do with the rear shock?

Thanks 81hondarider, I used the stock shock for now. I'll try it out and if needed I'll replace it later.

Hey fordfreak300, The tank and seat are the stock 81 items. The seat had been modified by the previous owner. It was a kit they made awhile back to add the foam extension to the front. If you look at the before pics of the seat, you can see that it's the same seat. I tried to use a 84 tank but it won't fit due to the location of the side tubes of the frame. There just wasn't enough room for it. As far as the graphics go, they are I believe either CR250 or CRF450 2004 graphics. I just cut them to what I thought looked good.

The front number plate is from a CRF230 I think? All I did to mount it was to use longer bolts that hold the fender on. The plate has two tabs on the back that almost perfectly match the bolt pattern of the fender mount on the tripple clamp. Just a little cut here and a little trim there and your done.

Any idea where/how to search for such a seat mod? I'd like to update the look of my sons 82 xr100. :applause:

Any idea where/how to search for such a seat mod? I'd like to update the look of my sons 82 xr100. :thumbsup:Oh and what bike was the rear fender from?

Thanks

I don't think that the update for the seat is available anymore. It was done some time ago by the previous owner. You could always make your own or bring it to an upholstery shop. I was trying to buy a new seat cover for it when I found out that it was an updated seat. This meant that I had to have a custom seat cover made. So, I went to a local bike shop (Zoom Cycles) and asked for help. They sent the seat to a custom shop here in California called Guts. They did a fantastic job the the seat. The entire seat is covered with gripper material so there's no way I can slide around and the cost was only about $60.

The rear fender I bought brand new from Maier. It's the MX style so that's why there's no tail light. I think they're still available. Hope this info helps.:applause:

Well it finally happened. I took the bike out for a ride. Went down to Metcalf today and tried her out. It took a little time to get used to her. I was surprised that it has that much power. It's not the same as my crf250x but it was impressive. The only problem I ran into was going down hill, when I got to the bottom and got on the throttle it would missfire and bog down a bit. I think it might have been the choke that I left on about have way. Of course I didn't notice it till the end of the day. :lol: I know that fordfreak won't believe that I took the bike out, so here is the proof. My bike on my carrier.

IMG_0266.jpg

Stopping to enjoy the view.

IMG_0267.jpg

Ready to head home.

IMG_0270.jpg

:applause::eek:

Glad you got to take it out. Those are some nice pics. I love the back grounds in them. How did the suspension do? How did you like the front forks on their? How about that cam? Give us the juicy details. Did ya jump it at all?

Looks like you had a good day how was the bike? looks like you need to adjust your rear spring though it looks a bit saggy, nice bike though long live older XR200R's!!!

Glad you got to take it out. Those are some nice pics. I love the back grounds in them. How did the suspension do? How did you like the front forks on their? How about that cam? Give us the juicy details. Did ya jump it at all?

The suspension was a bit stiff, I guess i'm just used to my crf250. The difference is like riding in a luxury sedan versus an old pick up truck. But then it is suspension from 1981. The front forks seemed to work ok. I think once I adjust the suspension it should ride better. I really liked the cam, it seemed to come on at mid way and rev up with no problem. Nice smooth acceleration. Not to bad considering I forgot to return the choke to normal. And finally, no fordfreak I did not jump it. I'm still getting used to the bike and just didn't think it was the smart thing to do this time. Next ride might be a different story.:applause:

Looks like you had a good day how was the bike? looks like you need to adjust your rear spring though it looks a bit saggy, nice bike though long live older XR200R's!!!

Thanks weegee. You're right, it does looks a bit low in the back. I'm sure it has nothing to do with my 200lbs. I'm trying to lose weight, honest I am, but the beer was so cold and inviting.

Forget not having the beer, just get a stiffer rear spring or try adjusting the old one. On second thought, give up the beer, I'll drink your portion :applause:

Thanks weegee. You're right, it does looks a bit low in the back. I'm sure it has nothing to do with my 200lbs. I'm trying to lose weight, honest I am, but the beer was so cold and inviting.

It looks to me like you are a big dude with or without the extra pounds lol. And I mean that in the best way... The '81 200 is pretty damn tall I think, but it doesn't look that big with you on it.

It looks to me like you are a big dude with or without the extra pounds lol. And I mean that in the best way... The '81 200 is pretty damn tall I think, but it doesn't look that big with you on it.

I know what you mean. I was thinking the same thing. When I look at the bike by itself it looks pretty tall, but when I get on it, it looks like I'm sitting on an xr50. Hell, I'm only 6'1" tall. I just don't get it.

If it can pull me up those hills, I wonder what it can do with someone lighter?

All in all it's a good old bike and I enjoyed every hour that I worked on it.

Forget not having the beer, just get a stiffer rear spring or try adjusting the old one. On second thought, give up the beer, I'll drink your portion :applause:

I will try to adjust it but for now it's resting at my friends house. Got to make room for the xr400 in my garage, plus I may have to move soon so I need to start getting my things packed for the move.