the tale of a 57hp 05 drz sm.NOW 60 HP 10/31/08

SEE POS #304 10/31/08 FOR UPDATES

finished the final stage yesterday on jonathans sm.

the following graphs show every change we made.

run4= brand new 0 mile stock 05 sm with corrected main jet for 5500ft

run16= added akra full ti system (it was chosen against my suggestion,because it looked cool )

run33= 3x3 mod,dj kit with correct jetting

run50= added 39mm fcr,with correct jetting

run61= vp ultimate4 fuel test

run76= 94mm big bore (starting to have high rpm cylinder fill issues,cams needed,pipe becomes suspect)

run86= hotcams stg2 intake stg 1ex (getting better,really start to suspect the pipe isnt flowing)

run95= added 41mm fcr,with correct jetting (we were suprised at the gain,however the pipe is really choking)

run111= added yosh ti trs (proved my initial suspicions).

run147= added +5mm hotrods crank,RHC 187 cams (degreed),my own porting with over size intake valves only.

JONATHANEVERYSTEPHP.jpg

JONATHANEVERYSTEPTQ.jpg

these graphs just show stock vs the final product.

JONATHANSTOCKVSBIGMODHP.jpg

JONATHANSTOCKVSBIGMODTQ.jpg

• Like 1

You did not include the time and place that rides are being offered.

More fun than people should be allowed to have!!!

Thanks for the information. It is fun and will be useful to answer some of the "how much power does this mod add" questions.

Also surprised that the pipe improved the hp that much. But the last mods were really huge. Any ideas on what contributed most to that last stage... 8 hp gain.

it all about the right combo of parts.

the crank itself is 4-5hp.

the rest the head and cams.

what really should be noted is the gains after peak.the peak gains are only part of the story.

27hp gain at 9k.

• Like 1

Nice torque curve too. Almost is flat after the peak, minimal drop off. I like it. Next fall, my engine is going to be done.

Eddie, I know this will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, but how much damage do you think a stock exhaust would do to that? Would want to run a E header to a SM muffler. I want to remain as stealthy as possible with the only significant noise being intake (I can modulate that!)

3-4 hp thru the whole range.

Thanks Eddie. Awesome work. Question though: If the 41 gives such good power increases, why are we not all installing 41s in our SMs? (I believe you that the 39 is better for offroad) Wouldn't the 41 be the best for a stock bore or overbore on a street only SM?

Nice torque curve too. Almost is flat after the peak, minimal drop off. I like it. Next fall, my engine is going to be done.

Eddie, I know this will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, but how much damage do you think a stock exhaust would do to that? Would want to run a E header to a SM muffler. I want to remain as stealthy as possible with the only significant noise being intake (I can modulate that!)

alot.probably 5-6hp.

Thanks Eddie. Awesome work. Question though: If the 41 gives such good power increases, why are we not all installing 41s in our SMs? (I believe you that the 39 is better for offroad) Wouldn't the 41 be the best for a stock bore or overbore on a street only SM?

needs big bore and cams minimum.

damn! what was the final cost of all that?

parts-

carb kit $525

pipe $650

big bore $400

stroker kit $500

cams w/sprockets $600

RHC valves $250

RHC spring kit $250

labor-

motor build $280

head porting w/big valve install $400

by time its all said and done about $4000 with little odds and ends.

obviously jonathan reaps the rewards of working with me.

• Like 1