No Shooting

DNR has installed a new No Shooting sign on one of the gates where shooters would shoot right across a trail. While pre-riding the Rock N Roll Poker run with DNR we came across this spot and people were shooting. This was a real wake up for DNR, he got to see first hand how real the danger is,, up close. I am a shooter as well. Sadly DNR will not set aside a spot for people to shoot,,, I guess too much liability. However, I am very happy to see this sign up. With a little luck this will stop the bullets flying by as we ride.

Joe............

t_img_3445_543.jpg

t_img_3444_188.jpg

t_img_3443_742.jpg

t_img_3442_204.jpg

Metal sign?

If so, can you sent me contact info for your DNR guy or where he got the sign?

My DNR guy and gal are looking for exactly that.?

Anyone with a laser cutter can make those. Triax Metal in Beaverton has a few big lasers.

Anyone with a laser cutter can make those. Triax Metal in Beaverton has a few big lasers.

I just assumed that someone that has already cut one, has a template and it would be cheaper than hiring someone to start from scratch.

Or how many times they'll be replacing it by the end of the year.
I wonder how many bullet holes will be in that sign by the end of the year...

The sign is cut out of 1/4 inch steel and welded to the gate. It can and very well may be vandalized but it is what we need. I think people will take pot shots at it??? They better have a big gun to make a dent. The Clark County Sheriff and the dept of fish and wildlife have been up there on patrol a lot and it is making a difference.

Joe........

Triax Metals, perfect. The club is looking to get some signs made. We paid out good money to have enter and exit signs made for the beginners riding area,,, they didn't last one week. However, 1/4 inch steel should hold up very well.

Joe.............

Triax Metals, perfect. The club is looking to get some signs made. We paid out good money to have enter and exit signs made for the beginners riding area,,, they didn't last one week. However, 1/4 inch steel should hold up very well.

Joe.............

Joe, I sent you a PM. I can do up the CAD work for these signs and know people that can waterjet or laser them up for you and might be able to swing a good deal. Let me know.

I've been over on a shooting board defending dirt bikers as potential allies who are fighting similar struggles. I am disgusted that we are crowing about another user group being excluded from the woods.

If you think trails are dwindling, try finding a place to shoot.

You have a mission: Help find a safe place to shoot and work with DNR to develop and preserve that place.

My god, both of my sports are going to die. I have seen the enemy and it is US.

I've been over on a shooting board defending dirt bikers as potential allies who are fighting similar struggles. I am disgusted that we are crowing about another user group being excluded from the woods.

If you think trails are dwindling, try finding a place to shoot.

You have a mission: Help find a safe place to shoot and work with DNR to develop and preserve that place.

My god, both of my sports are going to die. I have seen the enemy and it is US.

As a fellow shooter, I can assure you that MACE is spot on.

Exercising our right to bear arms (and be competent at doing so) is fundamental and actually more important than our riding rights.

We must work together.

Sounds like they were shooting in an unsafe area, across the trail is what it sounds like.

Don't bag on me. I'm an avid shooter as well. However, I'm also avid about safety. I've seen lots of dufus shooters out there in the woods doing some really stupid shit.

As a fellow shooter, I can assure you that MACE is spot on.

Exercising our right to bear arms (and be competent at doing so) is fundamental and actually more important than our riding rides.

We must work together.

Hold on guys, as I stated I am a shooter as well so I want a place to shoot just as much as you do. This spot is in the Yacolt burn. There are a ton of spots to shoot in the Yacolt Burn that are far safer. This spot attracts a lot of shooters but the shooters end up shooting into an area that is very unsafe not only because of the ORV trails. Shooters end up bouncing bullets right up the road over the hill and the shooters have no idea what is on the other side. I NEVER said anything about people not having the right to shoot. I have come over this hill with bulets flying my direction, when you hear the bulets hitting things and then hear the bang you know they are comming at you. DNR is not out to shut down shooting, it just is not safe in this spot. I doo feel DNR is making a mistake by not setting aside places that are safe for shooting. I think they are affraid of the legal issues a designated place to shoot could bring. Also, I just bought my wife a rifle and took her up to shoot it,,, right down the road from this no shooting sign. It's not like there is no place to go;)

Joe.........

when is this place opean for riding i always thought you wernt aloud to ride there??

1 May the Yacolt Burn opens up for ORV use. I keep a banner on the main page that lets people know if it is open or closed: www.jonescreektrailriders.org The trails that are in this shooting zone are user maintained trails. If you do the Rock N Roll Poker Run you go right through this spot (4 Corners Area).

Joe...........

Larger image: http://www.tripleateam.com/dirt/v/maps/washington/jonescreek/shoot.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

shoot.jpg