Sign in to follow this  

Are riding boots a must?

Yes. I rode a bike with just work boots once, and had the top of my shin hit the foot peg. After 30 years, I still carry the scar of that poor decision. Motorcycle boots provide more protection for your shins and even more so for your ankles.

Bought two pairs of nice Fox boots off ebay (for me and son)... I think I paid about $60 each pair. A bonus... they were already broken-in and much easier to walk in!:ride:

i dont have boots either, haha

my dad wont buy them cuz i dont have gear

My folks used to be the same way but after I cracked both sides of my ankle they bought me some MX boots. I was 12 and wearing cowboy boots at the time. I went down and one side of my ankle was on a rock and the peg came down on the other side.

my friend broke his anke a few weeks ago wearing workboots, his front forks blew out.....no way would he have broken it if he had been wearing boots....I never ever ever ride without my tech 6's

I am all for wearing boots and I always do and always have....but....6 months ago came over a high speed jump (not high, just fast) and there was a basketball sized rock in the trail. It is amazing how quickly I realized where my trajectory was taking me....front tire square on the front of the rock. As I tumbled I actually watched my riding boot fold in half and my foot hit my calf. 3 compound fractures of the tib/fib and crushed heal (also compound). Titanium rod in tibia and 3 plates and 8 screws in my heal.

The whole point of this is...sometimes the forces are so great that the boot is not going to save you. But (again).....the doctor told me that the riding boot acted as a compress on my rapidly swelling leg, and probably kept me from bleeding to death in the hour and a half I waited for help to arrive. When they cut the boot off, blood came gushing out. I didn't even know I was bleeding.

Wear riding boots, you just never know.

I am now riding again, with brand new riding boots (this sport is addictive, isn't it).

my dad broke his foot when not wearing riding boots, and he wasn't even riding, the bike got drowned and he adn a friend were pull starting it and it fell over on top of him. So riding slow doesn't mean you will not get hurt. Just imagine the hospitol bill, compared to a pair of boots...

My friend's dad messed his calf up really badly when riding. He fell and the peg went right into his calf, he walks with a limp (very mild) to this day.