crf250x to slow

well i was really lookig at swapping to one of these , i asked about them in crf250r forum and they told me it is the crf250x i needed for enduro, but what im hearing here is not realy convinceing me to go red, are they that slow guys because i realy dont want to follow thhe norm and go to ktm ,

i was tinking dropping from my wr450 to a 250f and fancyed a change and the crf seemed like the only option other than ktm wic every one has one,wr wich iv got suzuki wich i see more as a trail bike and honda wich seemed the best bet . but even that isnt looking good now, i realy dont wana be doing mods just to get it up to speed with the rest of te pack. thhat shhould come later whhen i wana beat them not before grrrrrrr

I also live in the UK. Having got my new 06 CRF250X a few days ago, I find the power more than adequate. I've yet to do enduro events, so I can't make a judgement at this stage. Having said that, the 'no-cost' modifications as above are relatively easy to do and shouldn't be much of a problem if you have the basics of working with bikes.

Hell, at the end of the day, it's the rider not the bike that counts. The desire for extra power is only much use if you are winning.

I, too, thought about a KTM. Seeing KTM's have a higher price tag, I didn't think it was worth another £1300 (EXC-F). Yes, £1300!. KTM's tend to be on the brittle side, in terms of reliablity. I would rather spend my saved £1300 modifying the engine at a later date, not that I would really need it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said the honda's are slow? you've been reading in betweewn the lines and only hearing what you want.The WR's basicaly need the same mods but are making less power to start with most of the mods are free anyway but the yami comes with a throttle stop:excuseme: If you do some honest reading on the KTM's I think your gonna find out that their suspension is'nt that great and are also lacking power.Blue and Red bikes are both great machines but red is better.and thats my two cents!:ride:

my 05 crf250x is crap at top end speed. I get beaten by any wr and my mate goes past me on his yzf still in 4 gear when im fully on the gas in 5th. It has a 53 tooth sprocket on it. I want to know what the best size is for my bike. I want good low end power for moster hills but still want to out race the wr`s?? Or could i make other changes???
Who said the honda's are slow? you've been reading in betweewn the lines and only hearing what you want.The WR's basicaly need the same mods but are making less power to start with most of the mods are free anyway but the yami comes with a throttle stop:excuseme: If you do some honest reading on the KTM's I think your gonna find out that their suspension is'nt that great and are also lacking power.Blue and Red bikes are both great machines but red is better.and thats my two cents!:ride:

im just goig on what im hearing from owners regarding the speed, yet to be honest i have heard an read about problems with ktms enough to put me off , i am swaying more to the crf250x, what is the problem with the hubs brakeing up on the crf ? and would it be better to try an find one with new wheels or are thhey fine

whats the weight on the crf250x just to compare ?

cheers guys

im just goig on what im hearing from owners regarding the speed, yet to be honest i have heard an read about problems with ktms enough to put me off , i am swaying more to the crf250x, what is the problem with the hubs brakeing up on the crf ? and would it be better to try an find one with new wheels or are thhey fine

cheers guys

The other guy's post you quoted is the one that started this whole stupid thread and doesn't know what he's talking about and couldn't get help if it was mailed to his front door. He just needs to twist the throttle but it probably scared him.Thats what i mean reading between the lines.How many other posts were there that was good about the X compared to this one.

I have never heard of Honda having trouble with their wheels or hubs.I beleave the are the same on most of there bikes and have never heard of one issue.:ride:

cheers guys

I've never known any CRF250X owners have any problems with their hubs or wheels. Unheard of.

Dry Weight - 113.4kg/250lb.

No matter what bike you get, red, blue, green or orange, they will always be prone to problems. Some are just luckier than others. That's modern 4-strokes for you!

The CRF250X is an awesome bike. The WR and the KTM are great bikes as well. The reds and blues do require more mods to really wake them up. Cut the airbox, rejet, and uncork the exhaust and they run great. The top speed on the CRF250X is not great, I admit. This is by design, it's a trail bike. Change the rear sprocket to a 50-51 and you'll get more top end speed if that's what you want.

Lastly, I've never heard of ANY hub problems with a Honda, especially the CRFX. But, my buddies KTM 450 EXC sheared off his sprocket from his rear hub just two days ago...now that was strange - never seen that before!

The bolts were probably just loose and eventually let go. So, keep 'em tight!

I've never known any CRF250X owners have any problems with their hubs or wheels. Unheard of.

Dry Weight - 113.4kg/250lb.

No matter what bike you get, red, blue, green or orange, they will always be prone to problems. Some are just luckier than others. That's modern 4-strokes for you!

I blew up a hub not all that long ago, but was totally my fault not the fault of the stocker honda hub. I screwed up, (because I was in a rush), the install of some new wheel bearings (never rush doing this - trust me).

I see a lot of people suggesting to change the rear sprocket. However, I would think about that twice. More top end via larger sprocket will reduce the torque significantly. The X is a trail bike and it ain't supposed to be really fast at top speed, especially the 250. I personally don't care who passes me by on a fire road. I do care though if its on the trail. I would keep the low gear ratio in spite of the loss of top end speed. And definitely I would not cut the pink wire. The limiter was put in for a reason, which is to keep the engine from blowing up:eek:

thats why i mentioned with the gearing change I also made other changes to keep the low end as well as just put more beef on all the power band area (low - mid - top) -> worked great. And I am not sure what the gearing changes would of done without the others, as I applied the other power mods before doing the gearing change.

good advice guys thanks, im not here to slate honda in anyway shape or form im here for advice unlike many loons on these forums, like i said im looking for a bike more for H&H, enduros, hell i have a gsxr 750 k6 if i want straight line speed but i dont want to be underpower off road in standard spec that was all

cheers guys true gents

good advice guys thanks, im not here to slate honda in anyway shape or form im here for advice unlike many loons on these forums, like i said im looking for a bike more for H&H, enduros, hell i have a gsxr 750 k6 if i want straight line speed but i dont want to be underpower off road in standard spec that was all

cheers guys true gents

Go and buy one then. You know you want to!.

I see a lot of people suggesting to change the rear sprocket. However, I would think about that twice. More top end via larger sprocket will reduce the torque significantly. The X is a trail bike and it ain't supposed to be really fast at top speed, especially the 250. I personally don't care who passes me by on a fire road. I do care though if its on the trail. I would keep the low gear ratio in spite of the loss of top end speed. And definitely I would not cut the pink wire. The limiter was put in for a reason, which is to keep the engine from blowing up:eek:

Exactly, beat your buddies on the tight trails. (where it really counts) If you guys are trying to prove something, its not helping much. Anyone can go fast on a fireroad. Have fun and ride ssafe, Luke