Sign in to follow this  

Knee braces

Do any of you out there use knee braces when you ride? I just had knee surgery and want to start using them. I've been hard on my knees through out my life and now have to take care of them if I want to continue my current life style. I have been looking at the Asterisk Cell braces.

What do you think?

I did for some time after a full knee replacement and all ligaments. Wore it for about two years. I cannot help you with a brand as I had a custom titainum/carbon fibre one. Insurance Co. offered so I took it up.

Only suggestion I can offer is to get one that is adjustable for your leg diameter. As you heal, your leg will increase in size. Mine being custom meant I had to have the company refit it. Not a total disaster as they came to the house and did it in the van while you waited. Only other thing is the brace supports to a point and then lets go and if it does, you WILL be injured.

I wear some velcro knee protectors but I've seen these braces before in the catalogs and such. Why do so many riders have bad knees? Does riding cause the damage or are these pre-existing conditions aggravated by the impacts of off-road riding? I'm a little ignorant on this subject but I've always wondered if I keep riding am I going to need to wear these braces some day from the damage I've done? Granted I'm not doing MX and really don't even ride that hard so I doubt it but still I'm curious about these knee braces. Should most riders be wearing braces to prevent damage to their knees.....someone enlighten me. :ride:

I wear some velcro knee protectors but I've seen these braces before in the catalogs and such. Why do so many riders have bad knees? Does riding cause the damage or are these pre-existing conditions aggravated by the impacts of off-road riding? I'm a little ignorant on this subject but I've always wondered if I keep riding am I going to need to wear these braces some day from the damage I've done? Granted I'm not doing MX and really don't even ride that hard so I doubt it but still I'm curious about these knee braces. Should most riders be wearing braces to prevent damage to their knees.....someone enlighten me. :ride:

I can't speak for all riders but I did a lot to my knees, ran track, cross country, wrestling, and rode a friend's 125 with no helmet and/or protection for a long time when I was a kid. I am lucky I don't have drain bramage...:ride:

Riding never causes you to need a knee brace, crashing might.... Just take care of yourself and be careful...

:ride: There are only 2 Real knee braces marketed for dirt biking. They are the Asterisk Cell and the EVS Web. Nothing, I mean nothing else is a knee brace, they are only knee guards with lateral protection. :ride:

I have had both of my knees redone and I will not ride with out my Asterisks on. Use the chart and get the one that fits exactly, that is why they have like 7 sizes and not just 3. They have adjustable cuffs for a custom fit and they do not move around once you have your boots on. And get the under sleeves, they make a huge differance in comfort arena.

good luck.

I don't have a pre-existing condition, but my braces have saved me from serious pain and surgery a couple of times. I won't ride off road without them. THey are just cheap Fox pads with shin and thigh support but they were worth it so far. I am looking at getting the Asterisk's soon.

actually, the only "true" knee brace is one that is custom built.

joint alignment, ligament strength, and relative posture can only be accounted for by creating a direct mold of the subjects knee and surrounding support structure.

let's keep in mind that a "brace" is designed to support a weakness in a specific area by transfering or dispersing the load to something or somewhere else (either another body part or the attached brace for this discussion).

take a look at innovation sports (http://www.isports.com/home.htm), the builders of cti braces. if you have had or are going to have surgery ask your doctor to write you a perscription and your health insurance should cover it.

if you simply want impact protection any of the commercially available products should be fine. if you are concerned about re-injury, i would talk to your doctor about the types of stress that will likely lead to a repeat injury and then find the device best suited to combat that type of stress.

best of luck

J

:ride: There are only 2 Real knee braces marketed for dirt biking. They are the Asterisk Cell and the EVS Web. Nothing, I mean nothing else is a knee brace, they are only knee guards with lateral protection. :ride:

I have had both of my knees redone and I will not ride with out my Asterisks on. Use the chart and get the one that fits exactly, that is why they have like 7 sizes and not just 3. They have adjustable cuffs for a custom fit and they do not move around once you have your boots on. And get the under sleeves, they make a huge differance in comfort arena.

good luck.

actually, the only "true" knee brace is one that is custom built.

joint alignment, ligament strength, and relative posture can only be accounted for by creating a direct mold of the subjects knee and surrounding support structure.

let's keep in mind that a "brace" is designed to support a weakness in a specific area by transfering or dispersing the load to something or somewhere else (either another body part or the attached brace for this discussion).

take a look at innovation sports (http://www.isports.com/home.htm), the builders of cti braces. if you have had or are going to have surgery ask your doctor to write you a perscription and your health insurance should cover it.

if you simply want impact protection any of the commercially available products should be fine. if you are concerned about re-injury, i would talk to your doctor about the types of stress that will likely lead to a repeat injury and then find the device best suited to combat that type of stress.

best of luck

J

Actually, the designer for CTI also designed the Asterisk Cell. And in some cases the asterisks actually fit better than the custom CTI's. I think it was something to do with the lase up cuffs instead of the velcro cuff. And you have to have a percription, you can't buy them off the shelf, that's why I said "marketed for dirt biking"

Also CTI's are $1200 per knee with out a knee cup. And even though my Doctor gave me a percription by insurance only would cover 80%. With the risk of having my insurance deny my claim for my non-injured knee. So I bought the Asterisks and ended up still paying less out of pocket.

Awesome responses! Thanks. As soon as I'm sure all the swelling is down, I'll order the Asterisk cell braces.

The Doc says my knees are in good shape now. So it's to the gym for strength training, then wear the braces when I ride and I should be good to go.

You guys are great!

Later

Another vote for CTIs....and my Blue Cross/Blue Shield covered both legs. I don't ride without them and I don't play racquetball without wearing one on my recently replaced ACL.