Sign in to follow this  

Elbows in or out????

There is a pic of me and my buddy ridin and I was noticing his elbows were pointed outward in bench press mode and mine were close to my sides. He said he had bad arm pump, I had none at all! Does elbow positioning effect arm pump? What is the correct riding technique?

Sounds like your friend has to wide of bars, which will give that look and cause excessive arm pump. Have him do 10 pushups on carpeting. Measure the hand impressions on the carpet, the distance from outside of palms to outside of palms, and have him cut his bars down to that width. He will have more control and less arm pump. He might turn the bars down just a little from level for a more ergonomic rowing effect, instead off feeling like he's grabing onto a long horn steer.

In general it's better to have your elbows up, if your bars are the correct width, for leverage. There are exceptions, like when you go by a cactus, and then it's elbows all the way in, hehe. :ride:

thanks for the help, but if i see a cactus where I live its because I'm hallucinating! LOL

Try doing bench presses with your elbows in. Then you'll understand why it's better to ride with your elbows out. It's all about control baby!!

Ask Semics. Elbows up head over the tripple clamp. Attack posision.

A T T A C K ................I concur..:ride:

Ask Semics. Elbows up head over the tripple clamp. Attack posision.

I READ THAT BOOK TOO:prof: LOL

I'm still waiting for my first arm pump:eek: This goes against what everyone says, but I run my bars very high and wide, and I think this has something to do with it.(I usually ride 2-3 hours at a track an dall day on the trails without a break)