Sign in to follow this  

Brake Fluid Jello

Hey guys just recently doing some work on the 230 and thought I would paint the brake fluid cap to spice things up a bit. Took off the cap and low and behold my brake fluid is not fluid anymore. In fact it looks more like axle grease than fluid. The bike has been in storage for a few months, but I took her for a quick spin not too long ago and the brakes seemed fine... what happened? would it be caused by water in the system? and how do I get this crap out of my brake lines?

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/brakes.htm

go down to where it says bleeding brakes, seems easy enough. a 2 man job though.

ah, i dont think bleeding the air out of the brake system is going to solve his jello problem. I would recommend you flush out the lines and master clyinder and get some new brake fluid. Then you would need to bleed the front brake...

I'm guessing I'm gonna need one of those vaccum pump kits? I dont think gravity alone is gonna flush this junk from my lines

ah, i dont think bleeding the air out of the brake system is going to solve his jello problem. I would recommend you flush out the lines and master clyinder and get some new brake fluid. Then you would need to bleed the front brake...

if you clicked the link it tells you how to do a complete flush and re-fill.

Hey guys just recently doing some work on the 230 and thought I would paint the brake fluid cap to spice things up a bit. Took off the cap and low and behold my brake fluid is not fluid anymore. In fact it looks more like axle grease than fluid. The bike has been in storage for a few months, but I took her for a quick spin not too long ago and the brakes seemed fine... what happened? would it be caused by water in the system? and how do I get this crap out of my brake lines?

Wow that sucks! Have you opened it before & did you add anything to it? Did you buy the bike used?

Powersteering fluid mixed with brake fluid can make jello & usually requires a brake system rebuild. Buying a new hose may be the best way to go & you can clean the rest of it.

How firm & how sticky is it?

Not sure of the best way to get that stuff out but here's my approach:

Wear eye protection for this.

1st: I'd try compressed air first. This hopefully can blow a hole through it. The jello will still be on the sides but now you can circulate fluid through it.

2nd: Take some of the jello & put it some different things to see if anything will dissolve it. Do this in a well ventilated area as the fumes could/will be toxic. Give it a couple hours of soaking & check to see if the jello dissolved. Some detergents like Clorox will probably cause smoke. (Don't use Clorox) Try brake fluid, WD-40, water etc. Once you find the best solvent for it, soak the whole brake system in it.

3rd: Cycle soapy water thru it to clean & then rinse with just water.

4th: Dry it with compressed air best you can then & let dry in warm place.

5th: cross your fingers

Don't know if this will work/help.

Good luck, out of this sticky situation!!

:ride:

Hey Froggy!

Since everyone is having brake issues. What ever happened with yours?

:applause:

Old thread but, Never ever put anything in your brake lines but Brake fluid or brake cleaner. flush your brakes with a bottle of fluid EVERY year at a minimum. This is even more important if you wash your bike alot or store it outside or ride in the water a lot. Brake fluid absorbs water and is easily contaminated. Your brakes will work much better all the time if you flush and bleed them reguarally.

Hey Froggy!

Since everyone is having brake issues. What ever happened with yours?

:excuseme:

I flushed my brake lines out with simple rubbing alcohol (40% i think?) and it seemed to get most of the gummed up fluid out, then I flushed a fresh bottle of brake fluid thru the lines but no matter how much I tried the brake lever was completely flat. I gave up in disgust after a few hours of screwin around. A few weeks later I took a look at it again and by some miracle my brakes had returned to normal :applause: Not sure exactly what happened, but I'm not complaining lol

I flushed my brake lines out with simple rubbing alcohol (40% i think?) and it seemed to get most of the gummed up fluid out, then I flushed a fresh bottle of brake fluid thru the lines but no matter how much I tried the brake lever was completely flat. I gave up in disgust after a few hours of screwin around. A few weeks later I took a look at it again and by some miracle my brakes had returned to normal :applause: Not sure exactly what happened, but I'm not complaining lol

yeah the air found its way out some-how, lol

we did that on my truck cause we didnt have time to bleed the brakes and we needed to add fluid, and sure enugh after a week or so they became hard again cause the air somehow found its way out, lol