Passing a Kidney Stone!

:ride: I am struggling with passing a kidney stone, this has been an ongoing problem for the past two weeks. It started while I was driving home from work late and all of a sudden my back (left middle side) started hurting. I thought no way, I'm having kidney problems. After about 2 hours, the pain went away and I just chalked it up to being dehydrated and eating too much In-in Out Burger earlier that night. Well, the next night I woke up at 1:30 AM

with kidney pain again, but this time it was more intense so I went to the Hospital. 5 hours later the doctor examined me and based on my urine sample, they said I have a kidney stone and to be ready for the most intense pain of my life:cry: . But drink LOTS of water, and she stone should pass. I saw my Dr. and he scheduled an IVP test which I did yesterday(finally over a week later). I get a call this morning and my dr. tells me I do have a small stone and refers me to a urologist (who will call me when he can fit me in maybe a week from now:mad: ) Well, just so happens that I haven't had any pain since my visit to the ER, and now today at 1:30 I feel like I'm going to be giving birth.

My questions are, how do I get this stone to pass as quickly as possible?

What can I eat that will give me adequate nutrition /protein without aggrivating my kidneys? Lastly, what other than lots of water and cranberry juice will help?

Drink lots of water. Take lots of percodans.

As stated..lots of water..pain pills & brace yourself..you will experience Man birth!:ride::applause::ride: :ride:

I have had em twice now, 1st time was nothing compared to the 2nd...did't know what to do with myself. Change your diet as once you have a Kidney Stone, you will likely have em again in the future:eek:

Good luck

Depending on the size of the stone the urologist may have to do something to help it pass be it lithotripsy or going up through your urethra...stones less than 5mm usually pass on their own, but any larger is a crap shoot. Hydronephrosis and pyelonephritis are not fun. Pain control and hydration are the mainstay in treatment of smaller stones. Enjoy it while it lasts... :ride:

Mine was the size of a pepper corn, and took 2 weeks to pass. The only way I could handle the pain was with Tylenol #3, every 3 or 4 hours. I still get simpathy back pain when I hear about kidney stones. I hope you pass it soon. Oh, Pee into a strainer so you can tell when you pass it. Mine went tink, and there she was. If the pain starts to go towards the center of your back, the stone is moving. When you feel like you need to pee, even after you just went, it is real close to passing.

Thanks guys for the help! The doc gave me the tylenol 3"s with codine, as I don't do well with vicodin.I asked him for morphine, but knew he'd say no.I have been trying to do research on the web on kidney stones and they say to drink alot of water, and lemonade. what should I eat and shouldn't I eat during this time of "HELL". I feel like I'm waterlogged. Also, what dietary changes are in order for me now? I have really cleaned up my diet(in the past two weeks), but I now read that dark green veggies and peanuts are bad? I am a health food and exercise fanatic (ex-bodybuilder) so how do I get my diet balanced? any dieticians or diet books that you " kidney stoners" can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

So, I wake up this morning and now I feel fine, no pain. Yesterday, I felt like I was going to Die from the pain. How do I go about my life? I am dying to go riding or do something fun, but I am afraid of being slammed with the sudden labor pains of this stone. What do I do? I have also missed alot of work, (they are getting tired of dealing with this issue too). Do I take a chance and then get stuck out somewhere doubled over in pain ? I wish this would be done already!:ride: I am tempted to just go to the track and shake that stone loose. Am I nuts?

I passed a small stone once. I could feel it moving into my bladder one morning while I was getting ready for work. Sure enough about 9:00am I'm in the bathroom and just as I ran out of piss the stone stopped halfway out "Mr. Happy". There it was, stuck at the worst spot. Not that it hurt all that bad, it freaked me out because it felt about the size of a baseball where it was stopped. So I grab the water jug and down about a gallon of water. Start pacing the floor for about 20 minutes I guess and finally shoot that sucker out like a high power BB gun. Sure hope that never happens again.

As far as drinking enough water. Dont bother. My wife drinks water non stop all day every damn day. She still got stones. If you can save the stone it can be analyzed to determine what diet changes may be needed. She now takes some type of mineral supplement. So far so good. No stones yet.

About ten years ago I had a stone form that was about 1/4" in size. I went through several weeks of trying to drink enough water to pass it. No luck. After a trip or two to the ER and taking a day off work because the pain was so bad I could only lay down and it felt like what I imagine a gunshot wound would feel like, I was able to have the stone removed. I went into the hospital for a day and the Dr. removed the stone while using a scope. The pain from the stone and the pain from my proctocolectomy wound have been the two most painful sensations I can remember.

If the stone doesn't pass, talk with your Dr. and ask about options to remove it. I would hate to go through the waiting period hoping that it would pass.

About ten years ago I had a stone form that was about 1/4" in size. I went through several weeks of trying to drink enough water to pass it. No luck. After a trip or two to the ER and taking a day off work because the pain was so bad I could only lay down and it felt like what I imagine a gunshot wound would feel like, I was able to have the stone removed. I went into the hospital for a day and the Dr. removed the stone while using a scope. The pain from the stone and the pain from my proctocolectomy wound have been the two most painful sensations I can remember.

If the stone doesn't pass, talk with your Dr. and ask about options to remove it. I would hate to go through the waiting period hoping that it would pass.

Ouch!that almost qualifies as a boulder,glad you didnt go throught that again.

I've passed several stones. Some crippling. Vicodin, codein, morophine don't do shit. One time they gave me so much morophine they told me any more would kill me. I was still on the floor sobbing like a baby. I'm like do it anyway. There's a drug called Ketorlac or something close to that name. They shoot you up with that and the pain dissapears and you don't even get high. It's also available in pill form. Drink lots of water and drink lemonade. The lemons are supposed to disolve stones over a longer period if you still have more in you. Some doctors will tell you "your just a stone former. Get used to it." If you don't get future stones under control it can cause long term kidney damage.

I had em once too. I always thought Morpheine was like the ultimate, it's didn't TOUCH the pain. Took them 4 different cocktails (mix of drugs) to find something that knocked the pain down to bearable. The pain came in waves, similar to contractions for a women in labor. Nasty pain.

After two days of that they went in and got it..

I have a friend who has had gall stones and two childern, natural birth.

She has also had kidney stones and she said that the kidney stones were by far the worst pain of all.

I have had them 4 months ago and I do have simpathy pain.

Drink lots of fluids, my Doc. said mix up what you like water, lemonaid, beer, coffee: whatever, just drink and then drink two more.

What works for me is to drink water and then dirnk coffee, then back to water. Morphine did little to help the pain I experienced.

Right now I am drinking lots of water as a prevenatine measure.

bueno swarte