Loose headset bearing 06 450, question for you

I just picked up a used, 06 450 and in going over the bike, I noticed that there is a little play in the headset. I plan on tearing it down anyway, and regreasing it, but my question is should I just go ahead and order new bearing and race as a time saver since it will be torn down already, or are the chances that its damaged so small that I shouldn't spend the cash.

Thanks

I have a lot of problems with my stock headstay bearings on my 06. The seal does not seal very well. I have to regrease every 5/6hrs. I now use Amsoil Synth Grease only as Belray broke down too fast. Someone posted a fix from Yamaha on this - it may be 07 bearings and seal kit. I would go ahead an buy top and bottom bearing and reaces and new seal.

I have 20hrs on mine and they are already worn - you can feel the slop by twisting bars right to left vice versa while on the stand...I will be buying a new set also...

From what i've seen and heard, these bearings are a problem. I havn't had a problem yet, but the seal is not up to par on these units. Yamaha has put out a better bearing and seal now so I'd say spend the cash and fix that thing.

i wasnt aware of that, thanks.

I definitely need a new set and seal for sure. At ~70hrs on my bike, those bearings are sacked - i've cleaned/greased them five times already and i had pro-action do them when i got my suspension done another time.