LC4e or XR650R

I'm going to put this up here and the XR forum as well......

Looking for some final advice. I've spent WAAAAY to many hours researching two bikes that I am interested in buying and wonder if there is anyone out there that has or does own both?? I'm stuck...

The two bikes - a plated Honda XR650R (actually it is a 680) and KTM 640 LC4e (not the adventure). Both are 2003's, Honda = 5000 kms, KTM = 10,000 kms.

I currently ride a fairly heavily modified DRZ400S, in the woods, down the nastiest trails I can find, on dirt roads, paved roads, to work, on the highway, long trips (my favorite) and any where else I can find time and a place to ride it. I use it for everything. I've even fabricated a set of panniers with frame for it and have done 4000km+ trips on it (both on and off road). I get out every weekend trail riding for hours and hours (without the panniers of course). Then I hop back on the highway and drive 300 kms home. It is a general purpose bike that does everything OK but nothing perfect. The thing is bullet proof.

Honda

Pros - a kick ass power plant, lighter than what I am used to in the woods, with a ton more power.:ride: History of being very reliable. Tons of aftermarket out there. Would be more capable on the road versus my current steed. Easier to get parts when I need them on the road. The one I am looking at comes with a FMF pipe, 680 Weisco kit, locking steering stem, skid plate, brush guards, brake lights.

Cons - Does it really require oil changes every 1000kms or so? It would require a sub frame ext, rear rack, larger tank, new seat, stator rewind, and eventually many other things. Kickstart only, but I can live with that.

KTM

Pros - Still an upgrade on what I am used to for power. Very high quality components, and attention was paid out on the small things like fittings, cables, etc. Hydraulic clutch. :ride: Still very capable on the road versus the DRZ probably on par with the Honda?? Kick start and a magic button. The one I am looking at comes with the performance exhaust, skid plate, upgraded brush guards and a rack.

Cons - Does it really require oil changes every 5000kms or so, and a valve check? A little heavier than the Honda and my current DRZ. Unsure about getting parts fast in some areas of Canada.

Now I've heard about a lot of great, positive experiences with the KTM. I've heard a few very bad ones too. I only know one guy with it and you'd have to pry the throttle out of his dead hand before he'd let you drive it.

The Honda, mostly good things I hear. Not so many negative things. Another friend owns an XR650R and he has over 108,000kms on it. And no I did not mis-type that.

The last consideration is the wife. I know the Honda is a one person bike period. Now with a seat replacement, will the KTM be livable for a few hours on the back? She's a tough cookie. If it is, then that may be the deal breaker. But let's pretend it's not as I may have her convinced she needs one too :ride:

Thanks for reading so far, and I'd love to hear what you have to say. Keep in mind the KTM would cost me about $2000 Cdn more than the XR.

I have a KTM 625sxc 06 and i take my wife for alot of rides. What i liked was the rear foot pegs come standard as well as rear hand grips , (but you have a rack which is the same) Electric start is the way to go especially with two. She loves it. Also its water cooled. Check and see when the FCR carbs came out i think 04 . They made alot of difference.

04 SXC, two up is no biggie.

If two-up riding right out of the box is the deal breaker on the two bikes then...

I have an older LC4e. A 2001. Mikuni CV carb and it still dynos at 52 HP at the rear wheel. Has 22,000 miles on it and still runs like new. Frame filled oil res and oil changes are very infrequent, well compared to my huskies.

Valves on the KTM are a very easy deal. Once you do them it should only take about 30 minutes to check. Starting with a clean bike.

The bike is a solid choice if your doing roads, fire roads and double track mostly.

I too am one of the pry it out of my cold dead hands LC4 club!

KTM parts are very easy to get..mail order and the internet is a great thing!:ride:

Oh and on the Honda note::ride:

6-07-2006028.jpg

:ride:

Did you ever make a decision? I'm sort of looking at both these bikes as options. I have a XR650L and though it's a great bike, it's a bit heavy in the dirt and the suspention is not supurb...

Curious which and why? Also, the '03 LC4 is the year I settled on as "the one to get"...if you don't buy the one you mentioned, can you pass the info my way?

Dude !

Get the Honda ! I offed my lc4 because it vibrated too much ! My wife hated it too. It took about 2 days for the feeling to come back in my hands after the last ride. The Honda could be a great bike if it had electric start. I live in California where the plate thing is really screwed up so I bought a factory street legal Husky 610. It has alot of good features but it has had issues so I don't want to recommend it to you. If Honda ever relases a street legal supermoto version of the XR650R with electric start, I'm there ! The XR650L is a big fat pig.

Good Luck !

STS.

hey i have a 2000 super moto KTM 640 and i can't get enough of it. I bought it used 3 months ago and stock. i changed the carb to a Kehein 41 FCR (spelling) and a Big Gun exhaust. I really like the bike as is and when i modded it, well it became really aggressive. baby growls!!!!!!!!!!

one thing though the 640 does vibrate, love it or leave it, it doesn't bother me because of the torque. i have 3 other bikes (2) 125's and a 450, my 16 y.o. son and 15 y.o. godson but my ask to ride the KTM everyday

i ride witha group of enduro bikers, about 15 of them mainly XR650L's and when they test rode my bike they loved it, totally different feel. mine being lower, turning quicker and a rocket. I rode their's and they are nice but feel more trail bikish than mine and corked (yeah their's have exhausts also).

hondas are great bikes don't get me wrong, but my bike is like crack with an exhaust note. i hope this helps you. depends on the feel you want.

if you want a pic pm me. good luck !!

The 650r is dead easy to start and doesn't vibrate too bad due to the counterbalancer in the engine.👍

KTM 640 is far too heavy.

IMO the choice is between XR650R and SXC625 if you want a dual sport: a bike with big reliable, low maintainance engine.

The SXC has the electric starter but it is 5 kilograms heavier, eventually you can take it away and it will weight as a XR.

The top power is the same (650 vs 625) but the XR engine is more modern and has a better power output.

The KTM has better suspensions.

The KTM vibrates a lot!

If you are buying a used one, take the better you can find!

Two up it handles suprisingly well. The only problem is the vibes. But that might have a lot to do with the dirt tires? A 640 adventure would be my next choice. Just because Honda doesn't offer a comparable (ralley) bike.

I noticed a difference in the vibes, when I switched my '02 LC4 to more street worthy tires. I go back and forth between my XR650L (modded out) and the (now) SM'd LC4, and I like them both in different ways. Don't worry about parts for the KTM, the 'net is full of great dealers. As much as I like my Honda, if I had to make a choice, it would be the KTM. The e-start, and kick, makes for a nice touch, too, in case the battery goes dead. This is coming from a guy who's owned lots of Hondas, through the years. Now, if KTM could only get a better oil change procedure.......whew!

If your wife can ride on the back of an DRZ400 she will love the LC4 even with the stock seat.

Yes, the LC4 does have some vibes and it's the only complaint most have with the bike. Some vibe more then others...after some tuning half of mine are gone. I don't have a problem with the vibes.

You will miss the DRZ when you hit the tight trails...you thought it was heavy, wait until you ride any 650.

The 650R was made to ride fast open area, not tight trails are dual sporting...good luck making it turn anywhere...do the math.

No cooling fan on the 650R like there is on the DRZ and LC4 will make life hard at stop lights and stop and go traffic, plus no elect start!

• Like 1

Hi there again !

I've just ridden the new 690 and man is it smooth !!!! The fuel injection works really well also ! Too bad it's only in supermoto form right now..........

Hang in there because a dual sport is coming !

Good Luck !

STS.

IMO the choice is between XR650R and SXC625 if you want a dual sport: a bike with big reliable, low maintainance engine.

The SXC has the electric starter but it is 5 kilograms heavier, eventually you can take it away and it will weight as a XR.

The top power is the same (650 vs 625) but the XR engine is more modern and has a better power output.

The KTM vibrates a lot!

I ride the SXC and love it.

I think youve been smokin' the drapes again if you think the Honda is faster.

The XR is an antique compared to the KTM.

Im tired of people complaining about the vibes!Go buy a goldwing for cryin' out loud!

Just my very opinionated .02

• Like 1

I ride the SXC and love it.

I think youve been smokin' the drapes again if you think the Honda is faster.

The XR is an antique compared to the KTM.

Im tired of people complaining about the vibes!Go buy a goldwing for cryin' out loud!

Just my very opinionated .02

The KTM vibrates a lot!

The Honda does look lighter.

I don't know about the KTM being heavier. All the specs i read said they were within 5 lbs of each other.

Having ridden both they both feel the same to me (weight-wise). I'll still side with the KTM though.

'07 640 adv specs - I had to list the Adventure model,couldnt find the LC4E info:bonk:

POWERTRAIN

ENGINE 1-cylinder, 4-stroke, 4-valves, OHC, roller rocker levers, liquid-cooled

DISPLACEMENT 625 cc

BORE X STROKE 3.98 x 3.07 in. (101 x 78 mm)

COMPRESSION RATIO 11.7:1

TORQUE 55 Nm @ 5,500 rpm

HORSEPOWER 40 kW @ 7,000 rpm (homologated)

DRIVETRAIN

CARBURETION Mikuni BST 40

IGNITION Kokusan digital DC-CDI

TRANSMISSION 5-gears, dog-clutch engagement

CLUTCH Wet multi-disc, operated hydraulically

LUBRICATION Pressure with 2 Eaton pumps

Engine: Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W50

FINAL DRIVE 16:42

DIMENSIONS

FRAME & Subframe: Chromium-molybdenum, powder-coated

WHEELBASE 59.45 ± 0.39 in. (1,510 ± 10 mm)

SEAT HEIGHT 37.2 in. (945 mm)

GROUND CLEARANCE 12.4 in. (315 mm) unloaded

DRY WEIGHT 348.3 lbs. (158 kg)

FUEL CAPACITY 6.74 gal. (25.5 l)

BRAKES / WHEELS / TIRES

SUSPENSION Front: 1.89 in. (48 mm) WP USD; 10.83 in. (275 mm) travel

Rear: WP monoshock; 11.81 in. (300 mm) travel

BRAKES Front: Double disc; 11.81 in. (300 mm)

Rear: Brembo 1-piston floating caliper; 8.66 in. (220 mm) disc

TIRES Front: 90/90-21 in.

Rear: 140/80-18 in.

RAKE 62.5°

TRAIL 4.88 in. (124 mm)

2007 xr650r specs

Model: Honda XR 650 R

Engine Type 649cc liquid-cooled dry-sump single-cylinder four-stroke

Displacement 649cc

Compression Ratio 10.0:1

Bore x Stroke 100.0mm x 82.6mm

Ignition Solid-state CD with electronic advance

Transmission Five-speed

Final Drive #520 O-ring-sealed endless chain; 14T/48T

Chassis

Front Suspension 46mm leading-axle Kayaba cartridge fork with compression- and rebound-damping adjustability; 11.2-inch travel

Rear Suspension Pro-Link Kayaba single-shock with spring-preload, compression- and rebound-damping adjustability; 12.1-inch travel

Front Brakes Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper

Rear Brakes Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper

Front Tire 80/100-21

Rear Tire 110/100-18

Front Wheel N/A

Rear Wheel N/A

Dimensions

Seat Height 36.8 inches

Dry Weight 277.0 pounds

Wheelbase 58.3 inches

Fuel Capacity 2.6 gallons, including 0.5 gallon reserve

Rake 27.8 degrees

Trail 111.0mm (4.3 inches)

Keep in mind that HUGE fuel tank when full adds substantial weight to the bike.That being said it does have a much longer riding range.

dont use the adventure please !! that is a pig like the KLR

if you remember he said a used XR or KTM not new and he said definitely not the adventure KTM

i may have been off on the weight, but my KTM isn't 350 lbs??

I have a 2002 KTM 640 LC4 E Supermoto look at my specs below:

Look at the weight and HP:

2002 KTM 640 LC 4-E Super-Moto

Manufacturer - Make - Model - Year: KTM 640 LC 4-E Super-Moto 2002

Motorcycle Style: Super-Moto

Engine Type: 625 cc, 4 Stroke - Liquid Cooled - Single

Engine Bore and Stroke: 101 mm x 78 mm

Valves 4 valves/cylinder

Claimed Horsepower: 50 hp (37.3 kW) @ 7500 rpm

Maximum Torque: 52 Nm (38.4 ft. lbs) @ 5500 rpm

Transmission type: 5 speed

Final Drive: Chain

Tire - Front: 120/70-17

Tire - Rear: 160/60-17

Brakes - Front: single 320 mm disc with 4-piston calipers

Brakes - Rear: single 220 mm disc with 1-piston calipers

Seat Height: 935 mm (36.8 inches)

Wheelbase 1510 mm (59.4 inches)

Fuel Capacity: 12 l (3.2 Gal)

Dry Weight (without fluids): 137 kg (302 pounds)