Lamson to ride a 125 at Hangtown

From TWMX's website today:

peaking of Steve Lamson, rumors have recently floated around regarding the possibility of him racing a two-stroke 125cc Honda at the Hangtown National in May. Those of you who have been around for a few years remember when Lamson won a 125cc National Championship on one of them two-stroke things, so like you, we just had to know the truth. “Yeah, that’s true,” Lamy told us. “Our truck driver Danny Carlson said, “Hey, you’ve got to break out a 125cc for Hangtown.” I wasn’t even planning on riding because I wasn’t going to get on a 450cc after not riding for a longtime, so I called Honda to ask what they thought about it. Because it’s the last year that Honda will make a production 125cc, they were into it, so I think it will be cool. I am not going out there to prove anything; I am just looking for a good time. We’re going to try to do the bike like the year that I won my championship—graphic-wise—so it should be cool. I also kept a few sets of gear from each year, so I’ll break into that stuff as well.” So, if you’re at Hangtown, and you hear a wide-open screech coming from the track, do not be alarmed! You’re only hearing Lamy hauling the mail on a good old trusty two-banger.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/features/article/0,13190,1583248,00.html

I'm sooo looking forward to this!!! I'll be trackside enjoying that sound for one last time....

You know, I have thought that this might have happened prior to this time. Remember how much press Brett Metcalf got in 2005 on the YZ 125? It would seem that some of the guys who were way out of the points or returning from injury might have jumped on the 2 stroke for a round or two at the nationals just to be different or attract attention. For example, Mike Brown could have been on a hot-rod RM 125 in the late last season once he decided to park the RMZ 250 due to reliability issues. He can make the 125 go. Maybe Matt Walker, who had a rather poor season on the YZ 250F, could have attracted fans onboard the YOT YZ 125. Even RC has stated that it might be fun to show up at a national on a 125 and dust off all the guys on the thumpers. Even he could do that this summer since he will not be in any points chase.