Quiet XR650R exhaust?

Continued from my reply at post #34 -

So I've been bummed that Moriwaki exhausts are no longer made for BRP and broadcasting inquiry for any old stock at dealers and distributors and got a response from the UK distributor - Revolution Racing.

Gordon states that Moriwaki will make them in minimum lots of 50! I know one other interested XRR rider and need just 48 more. The retail is $470 and $20 quoted from Big Valley Honda, CA. I'm for same in group buy.

Guess I'm starting a group buy ... Moderator, is there a group buy topic here?

The stock pipe is quiet but so horribly restricted the bike will not run correctly. The HRC tip in the stock pipe makes the bike run great but it's annoyingly loud (not 450 trail-closing legislation-producing loud, but too loud). The drilled stock tip is a fair balance, but still loud.

No dB figures to provide...

Ive heard numbers on 93 dbA for the stock can, but I havent measured. It's not very loud.

The HRC is loud and has a nasty and not very pleasent noice. Runs great though?

I gave up trying to get a quiet and bought an Arrow Titan for the XR. :applause:

The sound is slightly lower than the HRC, but not a great deal. But the sound is more pleaseant for the ear.?

It runs as good or might even be better than the HRC. Havent run it in bench, either way it runs good.

It weights about half of the stock/HRC as well. :eek:

Sorry for the low quality. it's a phone camera (it suffers from the low light in the garage)

DSC00251.jpg

About 200 Euro deliverd at my door. :naughty:

(Thats cheap here...)

I used a hole saw and made pilot drill guide that fit into small stock pipe and slowly used 2" hole saw to wear away outside flange till small pipe insert came out. Now it breathes but I dont think it exceeds 92 db's. Much loUder that stock but much quieter than a supertrap type exhaust. Basically hole made is just a bit smaller than the spark arrester tube. good luck.

I used a hole saw and made pilot drill guide that fit into small stock pipe and slowly used 2" hole saw to wear away outside flange till small pipe insert came out. Now it breathes but I dont think it exceeds 92 db's. Much loUder that stock but much quieter than a supertrap type exhaust. Basically hole made is just a bit smaller than the spark arrester tube. good luck.

Keep in mind, I live in CO. We don't have any noise restrictions except the standard 103Dbl limit for national forests. I am quite sure my XR650R with the HRC spark arrestor is well under 103Dbls.

It depends on how you measure. But, I wouldnt put to much money on the HRC beeing below 103dBA.

My TLR (1000cc twin sportsbike) with M4 full system was measured to 102.5 dBA by the vechicle inspection 3 years ago when the M4 was brand new.

And my XR has always been louder than the TLR...

At the track they measure us a bit down on the long straight at full speed. If we execde 95dBA (which is about the same as 103 dBA measuer at stand still at "certain rpm" at vechicle inspection here in Sweden) we get black flagged.

Previous years we have not had noice restrictions at my home track, but 2007 we got the standard 95dBA limit as well. And the track official told me straight of I need to do "something" about the noice lvl on my XR to be allowed to ride 2007.

They havent measured, but it's (was) by far the most nociest bike on the track... :applause:

Heavyb & PutteLiten,

Good info. I'm taking notes.

Heavyb,

sounds like the stock BRP exhaust uncork - drill out the inner restrictor with a 2" hole saw. But I'd read that that was still too loud.

PutteLiten,

One thing about your XR db levels with HRC tip. You XR is Euro version which comes with both restricted and HRC tips. I would suspect that your can is unbaffled which would result in louder XR with HRC tip?!

Good info on metered db levels on track and compared to static metering.

At any rate I hear you, it is loud. I'm revising my HRC Tip db guestimate upwared to 104-106db!! Ouch!!!

I measured my FMF Q2 today with a radio shack meter. This was at the 22 inch distance, 45 degrees from the muffler, using A scale with slow response. The bike is newly uncorked. I have a Sendec tach mounted on the triple clamps. The meter claims to be accurate to +/- 2 DB at 114 DB.

At idle (1400 RM) it consistently read 86 DB. At 3250 RPM, it read 95 DB.

I did both tests 3 times and got the same result.

HeavyB,

Your stock tip is drilled like a OLD writeup suggested. That still leaves your tip stuffed up in a big way, :eek: . It does not really breath that well, [much better than stock but nothing like a HRC tip]. That is why it is still quiet,? . It works for being quiet but is not great for power. That suggestion of "drilling" the tip was an incomplete method to acheiving true uncorked status,? . There are still 2 baffle caps that line up with the muffler bodies baffle plates that restrict the flow bigtime from the inside. The first baffle cap needs to be cut off and the spark arrestor section needs to be "drilled" or rather 'cored' out from the back/inner side and covered with screen to get it to flow like an HRC tip. It should still be a little queiter than a HRC tip after that but may well be over the 95db sound requirement. The way you have it now is most likely under the 95db. So if someone wants under 95db and still wants at least some [decent] power but not the expense of an aftermarket muffler, that can be the way to go, :applause:.

I measured my FMF Q2 today with a radio shack meter. This was at the 22 inch distance, 45 degrees from the muffler, using A scale with slow response. The bike is newly uncorked. I have a Sendec tach mounted on the triple clamps. The meter claims to be accurate to +/- 2 DB at 114 DB.

At idle (1400 RM) it consistently read 86 DB. At 3250 RPM, it read 95 DB.

I did both tests 3 times and got the same result.

Thanks for sharing. :applause:

Heavyb & PutteLiten,

PutteLiten,

One thing about your XR db levels with HRC tip. You XR is Euro version which comes with both restricted and HRC tips. I would suspect that your can is unbaffled which would result in louder XR with HRC tip?!

Good info on metered db levels on track and compared to static metering.

At any rate I hear you, it is loud. I'm revising my HRC Tip db guestimate upwared to 104-106db!! Ouch!!!

Welcome, Im happy I can provide usefull info. ?

I wasnt aware that there was a difference between the Euro and the US versions. But it's loud as hell with the unrestricted HRC tip. :applause:

HeavyB,

Your stock tip is drilled like a OLD writeup suggested. That still leaves your tip stuffed up in a big way,? . It does not really breath that well, [much better than stock but nothing like a HRC tip]. That is why it is still quiet, :eek: . It works for being quiet but is not great for power. That suggestion of "drilling" the tip was an incomplete method to acheiving true uncorked status,? . There are still 2 baffle caps that line up with the muffler bodies baffle plates that restrict the flow bigtime from the inside. The first baffle cap needs to be cut off and the spark arrestor section needs to be "drilled" or rather 'cored' out from the back/inner side and covered with screen to get it to flow like an HRC tip. It should still be a little queiter than a HRC tip after that but may well be over the 95db sound requirement. The way you have it now is most likely under the 95db. So if someone wants under 95db and still wants at least some [decent] power but not the expense of an aftermarket muffler, that can be the way to go, :applause:.

I've read plenty of accounts here and elsewhere to the effect that the drilled stocker is VERY close to the HRC tip in performance.

I've read plenty of accounts here and elsewhere to the effect that the drilled stocker is VERY close to the HRC tip in performance.

If you are talking about "drilled" [only], there is just no way it will flow close to the HRC tip, :eek: . I would have to say that all those accounts are not correct,?. I had modified the stock tip in 3 stages over time and found out persoanlly what each gave. This was all before I went on to an aftermarket muffler and then full system. I will explain and show pics below.

STAGE 1: "Drilled" Tip = Better power over stock but still quite stuffed up and still quiet. STAGE 2: Cut off the first baffle cap = A distinct pull right off idle and better power throughout compared to the "Drilled only" tip and still fairly quiet, [it has been reported that this 2nd stage mod just passes the 95db sound test requirement for racing]. STAGE 3: Additionally drilled/cored out the second baffle cap, [which is the endcap of the spark arrestor section] and covered with screen = full flow. This should truly be very similar to the HRC tip in performance, if not identical in effect. The sound is healthy but may not be as loud as an HRC tip. It performed great. Without going to the full "Stage 3" stock tip mod, I don't believe the standard "uncorked" jetting can be used to full effect.

Comparison diagram of stock and HRC Tips:

7301263197.jpg

Stock Tip "Drilled":

7301024925.jpg

HRC Tip:

7301263175.jpg

Stock tip: Side View

7301025099.jpg

HRC Tip side view:

7301263183.jpg

Mufflers inside baffle plates that the stock tip baffle caps line up with:

7301080563.jpg

Stock tip views of first baffle cap cut off and second baffle cap, [spark arrestor section endcap] drilled/cored out and covered with screen.

7301080454.jpg

7301080559.jpg

7301080456.jpg

This was done by JB weld epoxying the screen over the end of the spark arrestor section. It worked just fine and held up. A possibly preferable method, [for being able to change out the screen if needed or recapping the end if needed] would be to drill the spark arrestor sections endcap with a 1.5" holesaw, [instead of the full 2"] then drilling holes in the remaining edge of the endcap and screwing screen over the end. It may not flow quite as much as the way you see it done above but should still be very close in overall performance. :applause:

Gawd I just bought an 04 that has all the guts taken out of the exhaust. Bike is in great overall sahpe, but it is embarassingly loud. :applause:

So I am trying a new product "dB Dawg" insert. We'll see. If not, I need to find a quiet pipe. If it requires a little sacrifice of flow, so be it. :eek: