Do plated dirtbikes need ORV tabs??

Do any of you with plated KTMs or other dirt bikes also have ORV tabs?

Have any of you had problems with law enforcement for lack of mirrors or brake lights?

I'm going to try to get a plate for my 10 yr old XR and wonder if I need to pay for ORV tabs as well... ( my title does not say NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ROAD USE)

I would only ride forest service roads to connect trails or as a shortcut back to the truck, would be nice to do so without worrying about a stiff fine...

I recently posted this in another thread. I looked up the Washington State law; there is no requirement for an ORV tag if legally licensed.

See section six below

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.09.050

Revise Code of Washington - RCW 46.09.050

Vehicles EXEMPTED from ORV use permits and tags.

ORV use permits and ORV tags shall be required under the provisions of this chapter except for the following:

(1) Off-road vehicles owned and operated by the United States, another state, or a political subdivision thereof.

(2) Off-road vehicles owned and operated by this state, or by any municipality or political subdivision thereof.

(3) Off-road vehicles operated on agricultural lands owned or leased by the ORV owner or operator.

(4) Off-road vehicles owned by a resident of another state that have a valid ORV permit or vehicle license issued in accordance with the laws of the other state. This exemption shall apply only to the extent that a similar exemption or privilege is granted under the laws of that state.

(5) Off-road vehicles while being used for search and rescue purposes under the authority or direction of an appropriate search and rescue or law enforcement agency.

(6) Vehicles which are licensed pursuant to chapter 46.16 RCW or in the case of nonresidents, vehicles which are validly licensed for operation over public highways in the jurisdiction of the owner's residence.

Not in Washington, but if you ride in Oregon, you will need either a WA orv tab, or an OR orv tab.

Oregon does not have any tabs......................................we have tags :ride:

Sorry, I always give my Washington buddys a bad time about that :ride:

One small side note: If you have a licensed bike in Washington and want to ride it in an Oregon ORV place like the Tillamook Forest, you need a Washington ORV license and tag. You could buy an Oregon ORV tag but buying a Washington one supports the program in the State. At least this is how I understand it.

OK, now I'm curious.

I have a Washington plated KTM which covers me up here. Are you telling me that if I want to come down and run the China Hat ISDE or Fall Classic(which I hope to do this year), I have to go pick up ORV tabs(tags) also?

What a crock! Considering the entry fee and all the other money I would spend on the Oregon economy while down there.

If your bike has a license plate then you DO NOT need orv tabs. Its is right there in the RCW. I can look up the section and code # if anyone wants me to. I have copied the page at the library and now carry it with me, along with my registration and insurance. I have had to show it to a jack ass forest service worker more then once. It pays to be smarter and one step ahead of johnny law.

Gotta have the ORV tag in Oregon even with the WA license plate. As others have said, the WA ORV tag is good in Oregon also.

I always here people say "I heard", "someone told me" etc. that you have to have...bla.

So I always look up the law.

http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/ATV/reciprocity.shtml

"Dual sport motorcycles with license plates do not qualify under the reciprocity agreement."

* Anyone riding in Oregon is required to have an off road permit/decal for off road areas. This is a state law. Reciprocity is granted to those individuals who have a valid off road permit/decal. This is the only permit which we accept in our reciprocity agreement with other states. Within Washington's laws, they offer reciprocity to other states under two directions, ORV permit or vehicle license. Only one is similar to our program and that is the ATV Permit/Decal. Dual sport motorcycles with license plates do not qualify under the reciprocity agreement.

I dual registered my KTM's..

The main reason I do this is to give some support back to trail maintenance through the ripped off IAC/NOVA Grant system. Just make sure you have the plate first then go after the ORV tags. I think it is only $50 or so to buy both. It also simplifies riding out of state like mentioned earlier in this thread. It kinda freaks the DMV computer out when I do this. Makes the extra cost worth while.

TONY

I dual registered my KTM's..

The main reason I do this is to give some support back to trail maintenance through the ripped off IAC/NOVA Grant system.

:censored:

Another reason to dual register your dualsports is that the state uses the number of tabs sold to estimate how many ORV's currently exist.