E intake and exhaust cams on an 04 S?

Hi all:

I've been tuned in to TT for awhile now but have not posted much (once?)...my question is this: I'd like to install the non-CA E cams on my '04 CA S model - do I need to change the base gasket to the E or can I keep the S gasket? Also, anything else in my S valvetrain that should be replaced with E parts?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :ride:

'04 CA S model; Pro Circuit T-4 slip-on; stock jetting soon to be replaced w/JD kit and 3x3

Eddie,

what is your opinion about changing to an E base gasket with the E cams on an S or SM? Is it necessary? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to doing it? More feedback please.

Thanks,

Lonster

Check the link posted below. That's what you're looking for.

Most people think you should do the base gasket if you do the cams otherwise you will loose some low end wich can be annoying.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3466571#post3466571

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like I should install the E base gasket when changing from S to E cams. One other question...what's with the decompression - does the S has the auto decompress, and if so, when changing to the E cams will I lose that? Does the standard E bike then come with the manual decompression lever, and if so, would I need to install that on my S if changing to the E cams.

Thanks for any info!

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like I should install the E base gasket when changing from S to E cams. One other question...what's with the decompression - does the S has the auto decompress, and if so, when changing to the E cams will I lose that? Does the standard E bike then come with the manual decompression lever, and if so, would I need to install that on my S if changing to the E cams.

Thanks for any info!

i don't think you'll NEED to do the e base gasket. you can do the e cams with your s base gasket. i use a hc stage 2 in & e exhaust cam for woods riding. still using s model base gasket.

the e cams aren't too aggressive. i believe the statement about losing alot of bottom end is with more agressive cams.

the e & s exhaust cams have the auto decompression device. no modifications needed. drop them in & set clearances is all that's needed.