Sign in to follow this  

'99 XR250 cam chain replacement!

Hey guys, I need to replace the cam chain on a '99 XR250 and need to know if anyone can give me pointers on how to do this without buying Motion Pro's clutch basket holding tool. Is there any way to safely hold the basket in position to remove the center holding nut without damaging the engine internals? I tried to make a holding tool out of aluminum, but failed. The torque on the nut is 80ft lbs. Thanks TTers!!:ride:

hey yes i have rebuilt alot of these xr engines you won't need a special tool to remove that nut in the clutch basket , i usually use a 120v impact gun , and when you reinstall it just hold your flywheel bolt with a 17m socket on the opposite side of your engine , but before i had a impact gun i just used a 22mm socket on one side and the 17mm bolt on the other . if you have any more questions let me know leonardellis23@hotmail.com

Put the motor in 5th gear, hold the rear brake down and you're good to go.

I use an electric adjustable impact gun. If you don't have access to one, the above is a good safe way to do it.

Alright guys, I feel dooped. I don't have access to an impact gun so did the following:

1. tried using two sockets to hold the flywheel while breaking loose the clutch center bolt, no go.

2. put the motor in 5th gear while chocking the counter sprocket (chain removed) no go.

What keeps happening is the clutch center basket is rotating because there is no tention on the clutch plates. Any ideas?

Thanks guys for the help!!

I appreciate that, however that will not do any good since the rotation is not making it through the gearbox. I know this is possible, I'll post a pic in a few minutes.

Alright, the green arrow shows rotation when trying to remove the nut. The red shows the outer basket slippage (not rotating). The gearbox is engaged when the outer clutch basket is rotating<a  href=3215414957.jpg' alt='3215414957.jpg'>

Ok you need to use an impact driver. (danger do not try and lever on the clutch basket without the correct holding tool)

Okay, I'll try the impact gun. Hate to go buy one though since I've never had a use for one till now. Thanks all for the help. --Dan

I am totally confused and need to be educated. I have done several top end jobs and cam chain replacements on the old XL Honda motors and all I needed to remove was the FLYWHEEL not the CLUTCH and there are a couple of ways of doing so, an impact wrench (preffered) spins the flywheel nut right off and once the flywheel is removed the camchain is exposed for replacement. Or you can place an drift pin padded with a rag thru the connecting rod top end (works but be careful) or as mentioned use the chain and gearbox method with the engine in the frame.

But tell me why are you removing the clutch for a timing chain replacement?

WAIT! I looked at the photo again, it appears they moved the cam chain to the right side of the engine, used to be on the left.