Sign in to follow this  

Excel Wheels - How are they holding up?

Thinkin' about getting a new set of black Excel wheels. How do they look like after some time? Am I going to be looking at some bang'd up wheels after a few months? Otherwise, I'm gonna stick with the stockers.

Most of my Excels now have flat spots.. especially the front rims. I find they get battered pretty quick. My wheel maintenance is top.. so its likely more the terrain I ride or the jumping that does it. I have actually found in the past that DID rims have held up better. Although I know lots of people like Excel.

if you get black the edge that the tire slides over when you mount it will end up silver because it gets rubbed off.

Most of my Excels now have flat spots.. especially the front rims. I find they get battered pretty quick. My wheel maintenance is top.. so its likely more the terrain I ride or the jumping that does it. I have actually found in the past that DID rims have held up better. Although I know lots of people like Excel.

I have the same experence with the Excels. Maybe I need to learn to miss the rocks.

black excels look the best IMO. but they definatley get scratched the easiest. A little touch up with a sharpie marker does the trick. Ive bent 2 excel fronts and you cant really beat or bend them back beacause the aluminum they use is a little brittle and will weaken if bent back.

Try out the ProWheels, mine are still pretty even, not true though because I've ridden the whole '06 season with them. No rim can stay perfectly true after a year, but can still hold up very well. They are both really good brands.

I agree 100% I think lots of people do not keep thier DID's spokes tight , run low air pressure...ect and ding them not realizing it's the rider and NOT the wheel that has a problem.....There is Nothing wrong with DID wheels.

my exels have flat spots all over them id go as far to say that they are a pretty crappy rim, my mates with the black rims look even worse from stonechips flat spots and sand blasting from ridin gon the beach..

id choose another brand if i were you

I had to ride my bike on a flat for over 10 miles over rocks....I got home and checked the wheel----not one bend or scratch.

if you get black the edge that the tire slides over when you mount it will end up silver because it gets rubbed off.

Not if you break the bead then apply black tape around the rim edge and use a rim saver when you mount the tyre. Most of the damge done it when some bodgy tyre fitter changes your tyre. Depends on what you ride, some tracks I know are really hard on bikes look others are really good, it depends on whats in the dirt your riding, the crappy tracks will have lots of rocks etc. Heavy rocks and they'll look chipped to hell in a few rides. I guess that's an advantage of the silver rims.

I think they look good even after 2.5 seasons and lots of speckles. You have to be religious about spokes- no matter what you have:ride:

I'm on my third set - no problems. Just gotta be semi careful when changing rubber - no biggie though.

depends on how/where you ride and how you take care of them. If you ride like track only they will look good for a long time if you take care of them, clean after ride etc. if you ride desert, rocky stuff you will have some dinksmon them after a while but still just take care of them and they will loook GOOD! :applause:

my exels have flat spots all over them id go as far to say that they are a pretty crappy rim, my mates with the black rims look even worse from stonechips flat spots and sand blasting from ridin gon the beach..

id choose another brand if i were you

other brands are even worse :applause:

Excel has the best rims on the market trght now!!!

90% of the problems people describe with wheels are from poor builds and/or not being properly maintained. Just about all these brands of rims we have available to us are good quality. A solid wheel build is of upmost importance, as is keeping up on spoke tension. A stock rim with stock spokes built by a reputable builder will outlast a set of poorly built/maintained Excels any day. On that note....I had my excel set built by one of the best builders in the sport and I havent had to do much maintenance as they are built so well, the spokes have not loosened and the wheels are still true after one full season.