DR650SE Needle Comparison

So here's the comparison between the stock needle and the DJ needle. Remember this stock needle is for the USA E-03 and E-33 models only. The DJ, of course, applies to all.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=34967

I was just thinking about this tonight. Thanks for sharing. I just received a Factory Pro needle from another board member and will try and measure it soon and post the measurements and a picture of it beside the stock needle.

I'd like to see the LC4 specs and also the Euro DR650 6F19 needle specs.

Here's the post from the other thread from carp_299 referencing the different needle in the Euro DR..

I was reading in the service manual and they list a different jet needle (6F19) with the ability to select different clip positions and also a different needle jet (Y-5) for Canadian and European bikes vs. U.S. bikes. Does anybody know the difference in these compared to what comes stock in the U.S. bikes and/or has anybody in the U.S. tried them? Reading in the manual, the only bikes that come with the 6F23 jet needle and Y-5M needle jet are the U.S. bikes. Everywhere else they use the 6F19 and Y-5, with the exception of Switzerland which boasts and even leaner main than the U.S. (137.5).

I was just thinking about this tonight. Thanks for sharing. I just received a Factory Pro needle from another board member and will try and measure it soon and post the measurements and a picture of it beside the stock needle.

I'd live to see the LC$ specs and also the Euro DR650 needle specs.

Well then, just hold your horsies until the LC4 needle and needle jet I have on order arrives. I'll make another compaison chart with picture for all three. :censored:

I'll be glad to send you the Factory Pro needle for measurement and pics along side the others if you want to. It would be better to get them all measured by the same person and equipment and have them in a single pic.

PM me your address and I'll send it to you if you are interested in including it in your comparison.

By the way, I just noticed you have a '99 650. That's a sharp looking bike! I'm going to pick up a '99 350SE Saturday, little brother to yours! It's a one owner completely stock bike with 3500 miles and looks mint in the pics. I'm thinking it would be cool to get a '99 650 to go with it and have a matched pair!

I'll be glad to send you the Factory Pro needle for measurement and pics along side the others if you want to. It would be better to get them all measured by the same person and equipment and have them in a single pic.

PM me your address and I'll send it to you if you are interested in including it in your comparison.

I just PM'd ya.....

By the way, I just noticed you have a '99 650. That's a sharp looking bike! I'm going to pick up a '99 350SE Saturday, little brother to yours! It's a one owner completely stock bike with 3500 miles and looks mint in the pics. I'm thinking it would be cool to get a '99 650 to go with it and have a matched pair!

Thanks... I like it a lot. I'd love to find a matching little brother like the one your getting. I'd dump my XR350R(s) in a heart beat for one. :censored:

Good post Rob. I have been curious about this for quite some time. I have a factory pro in mine at the moment. Want to try something else soon. I think I'll wait to see the pics 1st.

Keep this post alive!! :censored:

Good post Rob. I have been curious about this for quite some time. I have a factory pro in mine at the moment. Want to try something else soon. I think I'll wait to see the pics 1st.

Keep this post alive!! :censored:

Thanks! I'm happy to contribute. Speaking of contributing.... I see KTM charged my credit card today so I should be receiving the LC4 needle and needle jet soon! Way cool! Once the row boat shows up from Italy with my Marving pipe it's gonna be a serious test fest! :ride:

Well done :censored:

OK, I've gone this far with all this jetting stuff. I (we) might as well get the full skinny so....

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=85-2437

See that little "Buy Now" button? I pushed it! OMG this is going to be fun! :censored: Hey, does anyone have a sacrificial stock head pipe they'd like to contribute to the test? Maybe one of you guys with the complete systems that are happy with them? If not I'll hack mine and try to TIG the mounting boss in a position that isn't too stupid looking after it's got the plug in it.:ride:

Or...how 'bout this: http://www.autobarn.net/el2airabysu.html a gauge for $30, a generic O2 sensor welded into the head pipe and bingo. I'm guessing the whole deal could be done for about $50. I'm thinking about it...

I received the KTM needle today! And let me tell you it is a lot closer to the stocker than the DJ needle is. I had a little thought that this might be the case so I ordered the matching KTM needle jet at the same time. Glad I did. Now you'll just have to wait for the comparison because I'm flying back to GR for next week to take care of some home business.... like scraping a ton of snow off the roof of my house and visiting with the kids and grand daughter. Also going through a huge pile of mail spam trying to sort out worthwhile items. :ride: I'm figuring GaThumper's Factory Pro needle will be here when I get back and I can do the whole four needle comparison. :censored:

:censored::ride:
I received the KTM needle today! And let me tell you it is a lot closer to the stocker than the DJ needle is. I had a little thought that this might be the case so I ordered the matching KTM needle jet at the same time. Glad I did. Now you'll just have to wait for the comparison because I'm flying back to GR for next week to take care of some home business.... like scraping a ton of snow off the roof of my house and visiting with the kids and grand daughter. Also going through a huge pile of mail spam trying to sort out worthwhile items. :ride: I'm figuring GaThumper's Factory Pro needle will be here when I get back and I can do the whole four needle comparison. :censored:

Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed Rob. :lol:

The factory needle is a lot differant than the stock.

Are you planning on trying the KTM needle in your DR? I may have to order one.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the family!!

Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed Rob. :ride:

The factory needle is a lot differant than the stock.

Are you planning on trying the KTM needle in your DR? I may have to order one.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the family!!

Yes, I'll be trying every combination under the sun just for FMI (and FYI). This is why I haven't taken the flame saw to my air box yet. :lol: That and I want to do a sound recording of my Marving pipe without the air box noise so we can actually hear the difference between the stock pipe and the Marving. I'm also expecting my K&N Oxygen sensor set-up to be waiting at the hotel lobby when I get back tomorrow. This is going to be interesting stuff.

Oh, BTW... it's friggin cold back here in MI! Looking forward to flying back to SD in the morning and seeing what DR tuning goodies have arrived! :censored:

Yes, I'll be trying every combination under the sun just for FMI (and FYI). This is why I haven't taken the flame saw to my air box yet. :lol: That and I want to do a sound recording of my Marving pipe without the air box noise so we can actually hear the difference between the stock pipe and the Marving. I'm also expecting my K&N Oxygen sensor set-up to be waiting at the hotel lobby when I get back tomorrow. This is going to be interesting stuff.

Oh, BTW... it's friggin cold back here in MI! Looking forward to flying back to SD in the morning and seeing what DR tuning goodies have arrived! :censored:

Sounds like a lot of work ahead Rob. I am glad someone has patience. :applause:

Did you get all the needles yet? Just wondered how they all size up.

And yes indeed sounds like some very interesting stuff.

I hope you got thawed out a bit. Never figured much of a differance between MI and SD. I am spoiled by this southern weather.

Thanks for keeping us all updated!! You da man!! :ride:

Sounds like a lot of work ahead Rob. I am glad someone has patience. :lol:

Did you get all the needles yet? Just wondered how they all size up.

And yes indeed sounds like some very interesting stuff.

I hope you got thawed out a bit. Never figured much of a differance between MI and SD. I am spoiled by this southern weather.

Thanks for keeping us all updated!! You da man!! :censored:

Well that's because the SD I'm talking about is San Diego... not South Dakota! :applause: I'm assuming that's what you were thinking right? I'm stuck in MI for another couple days due to lousy weather and cancelled flights. Looks like I won't be back to CA till Thursday evening.... I'm going to assume GaThumpers Factory Pro needle will be there when I get back. I have the KTM, DJ and stock neeedles. :ride:

Well that's because the SD I'm talking about is San Diego... not South Dakota! :ride: I'm assuming that's what you were thinking right? I'm stuck in MI for another couple days due to lousy weather and cancelled flights. Looks like I won't be back to CA till Thursday evening.... I'm going to assume GaThumpers Factory Pro needle will be there when I get back. I have the KTM, DJ and stock neeedles. :censored:

oops me bad :lol: Big climate change from South Dakota to San Diego. Now it makes sence to me. :applause:

Sorry for the delay (bad weather). So much for Global Warming huh?

Have a safe trip back!!