Sign in to follow this  

RIP-"The Gitch" aka Rich Horstmeyer

I talked to him tuesday afternoon, so i believe that he passed tuesday night/wednesday morning...but it was too damn soon no matter when the hell it was.

It was during Tuesday night/ the morning of Wednesday. Nikki was leaving for work when she tried to wake him up, and he was not breathing. :censored: Read my last post, Geek. I included a Myspace Bulletin from Nikki. :ride:

In case anyone would like to send something, please call:

Bruce Funeral Home

106 S Center St

Gardner, KS 66030

(913) 856-7111

Or

Gardner Golden Goose Floral

404 E Main St

Gardner, KS 66030

913-856-8400

• Like 1

In case anyone would like to send something, please call:

Bruce Funeral Home

106 S Center St

Gardner, KS 66030

(913) 856-7111

Or

Gardner Golden Goose Floral

404 E Main St

Gardner, KS 66030

913-856-8400

I just called the funeral home and they said that the visitation will be at their facility this Sunday from 1-4pm and the funeral will be Monday at 11am at a Baptist church in Gardner.

When I first started the TT Group on MySpace Rich sent me a request to join.

From then on we chatted every now and then about bikes, and it was always cool. He seemed like a very knowledgable guy, and above all he had an awesome personality, just a really nice guy who always seemed to be typing with a smile. I can't say that I really knew him but hearing that he had such a wicked disease like cancer and still managed to stay so upbeat is truly inspiring.

Ride on, Rich. I believe you are truly in a better place. Godspeed.

My condolences go out to his family and closest friends. RIP.

It makes my heart heavy reading this thread.. My prayers are with Gitches familiy and friends!!!

I've been trying to think about what to say, it's been hard.

I was glad to talk with Rich on TT and on the phone a couple of times.

I know he had a lot of enthusiasm for this site and what ever he did.

I regret that I haven't chatted with him recently.

I hope he is in a better place now. My condolences to his family.

Kevin

This is all so very sad.

Godspeed, Rich. Thanks for being one of the "Good Guys". :censored:

My prayers go out to his loved ones.

Gitch, we'll miss you buddy!:lol: Through it all, you kept your head-up and a great sense of humor. We were priviledged to have known you and I hope to roost with ya in heaven one of these days. :censored:

Horstmeyer family, we're all here for you. Just let us know what you need.:ride:

Keep us in the loop if any thing develops with this, Bryan.

no offense, but i had to stop reading it for a while. it was tearing me up man...

Its alright man, no offense taken what-so-ever in this situation.

I am in shock, and I am listening to a couple of his tunes right now, I had the privelidge of sending music files back and forth with Rich on several occasions when I first joined this forum. In his words, "My eyes are closed but still I see". Rock on my brother I hope you are jamming with Michael right now.

I never met him in person, but we emailed each other a few times and sent PM's back and fore. Also he included me as a ride buddy on his website, the only person from the UK, so i consider that an honour.

I never realised he was in such a poor state of health. He was one of the genuine good guys and he will be missed :ride:

have fun on that husky up there buddy :censored:

Hi guys

I went to Rich's visitation yesterday. Much as we expected, there was A LOT of people there.

Rich was laid to rest in his blue Fox MX gear, which was quite touching and how I would want to be laid to rest.

I hope that no one minded me doing this, but I took a floral arrangement there and signed the card with my name, Ove's name, and "all Rich's friends on Thumpertalk." The arrangement was presented to Rich's wife, Nikki.

I also gave our condolences to Nikki and Rich's dad. His father said that he will be posting on Thumpertalk later this week.

Also, an educational fund has been set up for Rich's children, Gavin and Tyler. The contributions can be made out to the Rich Horstmeyer Children's Educational Fund and sent to the funeral home.

Bruce Funeral Home

106 S Center St

Gardner, KS 66030

(913) 856-7111

http://www.olathedailynews.com/obits/HorstmeyerRichard.shtml

• Like 1

Hi guys

I went to Rich's visitation yesterday. Much as we expected, there was A LOT of people there.

Rich was laid to rest in his blue Fox MX gear, which was quite touching and how I would want to be laid to rest.

I hope that no one minded me doing this, but I took a floral arrangement there and signed the card with my name, Ove's name, and "all Rich's friends on Thumpertalk." The arrangement was presented to Rich's wife, Nikki.

I also gave our condolences to Nikki and Rich's dad. His father said that he will be posting on Thumpertalk later this week.

Also, an educational fund has been set up for Rich's children, Gavin and Tyler. The contributions can be made out to the Rich Horstmeyer Children's Educational Fund and sent to the funeral home.

Bruce Funeral Home

106 S Center St

Gardner, KS 66030

(913) 856-7111

http://www.olathedailynews.com/obits/HorstmeyerRichard.shtml

That was a class act. It was great of you to represent the entire TT community. I hope Nikki, Gavin, Tyler and all of Rich's extended family see what an influence he had throughout the motorcycling community, and how deeply he will be missed.

Great job

George

thank you, i really wanted to say good bye, but since i could not, you did it for me, many thanks brother.

RIP Gitch, i'll miss you man

I didn't know him that well but my condolences go to his family and friends.

Cancer is the most horrible thing. It's taken enough of my own friends and family already. If you ever have something to spare, please donate to cancer research...it's tax deductable! Every bit helps.

American Cancer Society

Cancer Research and Prevention Foundation

National Foundation of Cancer Research

I PM'd Rich about two years ago because he posted that his wife was prone to transient ischemic attacks. For those who don't know, TIA's are basically a minor stroke. At the time, I worked for a clinical research organization and had many contacts in the medical industry. I hooked he and his wife up with one of the most prominent TIA doctors in Kansas City. From what I understand, the doctor and her staff took excellent care of Gitch's wife and she is doing well, medically speaking.

After talking to him on the phone, he reminded me very much of someone I had known for years. All he could talk about was how much he wanted his wife to be OK. I could feel the anguish and uncertainty in his voice and knew he must be going through a horrible time. He couldn't thank me enough for the small part I played in helping his wife.

I never met the guy, but like most of the off-road people I've had the pleasure of meeting over the years, he was true and genuine. I was absolutely floored when I heard that he passed. I put myself in his position and wonder what he must have gone through knowing he would most likely leave his wife and kids to fend for themselves. Knowing Rich the way I did, I know for a fact that his primary concern was for his family.

I'll say a special prayer for Rich's wife and children; I really hope the rest do the same. It would be great if we could organize some method of helping his family through this most difficult time. I honestly don't know what we could do, but I know there must be something. Rich spent his life searching for ways to help those around him, never expecting anything in return. His family most likely needs during this horrible time. There must be something his TT family can do??

I'll miss Rich and his quick, witty attitude. If you were fortunate enough to know Rich, you know what a genuine person he was. There's nothing left to say about him. I know in my heart what a great man and father he was. I know his family knows as well.

If anyone has any ideas about what the TT community could possibly do to help Rich's family, please post it. I honestly don't know if Rich was financially OK or not, but I do know he worked hard to support his family and now they're left with no steady income. We can help; let's figure out how.