Cable Modem....WOW!

yeah, Bill- That's oversubscription at work. Basically your cable modem provider has enough bandwidth to handle about 1/2 of it's subscribers at full speeds. During the evening, when more than 1/2 are using the service, it will slow down. Sort of like rush hour on the freeway. call your provider and bitch..

I am ...er...uh...OK, I'm a computer nerd too! Whew! Guess I am out of the closet now.

I just got the ATT @Home cable Internet access last week, very fast. I also added a Linksys 4 port firewall switch/router. Through this I can share my single cable connection with up to 4 computers, and the ISP is none the wiser. I also have improved security, as this thing makes me essentially *invisible* to the rest of the web. My kid is playing some Internet game on the same connection as I write this, with no discernable speed effect. Highly recommended. Model is at http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5 , best price was $129 at Amazon with free shipping. Setup was fairly pain free, especially if you dig into their site to find out how to set up your particular ISP.

------------------

Bill in Colo: '01 WR426F, '98 KLX300R, '01 TTR125L, '78 DR370, '74 DT360A. (My wife is a saint!)