Hilslamer's 2007 Sherco 5.1i

anyone can bleed that clutch slave cylinder. anyone!

you just need DOT4 or %.1 fluid and a syringe and pipe.

pull the cylinder off and you'll find the piston will fall out easy enough. clean the 'O' ring up and before replacing simply undo the bleed nipple and THEN push the piston back in. lock the bleed screw and refit the slave to the bike.

now undo the screws on the cap.

now draw fresh fluid into the syringe and push all air out and get fluid to the end. place on nipple and open bleed nipple. press syringe and let the fluid piss everywhere. tons of it - who GaF!!!!!right!!!!!

place cap back on resevoir making sure you have the correct amount of fluid. now lock BN and you should be good!

after an hour i tend to depress the clutch lever and THEN undo the nipple - always a last bit of air there!

regards

Taffy

Taffy- all good info, solid wrenching indeed.

But I think maybe we're dealing with a different beast here. In the best case scenario, someone simply forgot to install or did not properly install the soft copper sealing washers that seal the banjo fitting between the clutch line and the slave cylinder.

Otherwise, I suspect that in the process of removing the engine and re-installing it, the o-rings that seal the clutch slave piston into its bore have been damaged. It's very easy to do, as the piston can float outside the slave cylinder very easily during removal of the engine and when it is pressed back into it's bore during re-assembly, the lead-in to the bore is not chamferred enough to prevent damage to these o-rings. The spring that returns the piston can push it out bewyond the end of the bore of the slave cylinder in any scenario - I take great care to zip-tie the piston in place AS I REMOVE IT to prevent such problems.

Even if the slave cylinder is installed properly, the clutch fluid can leak as the surface between the slave cylinder and the LH centercase is not gasketed - hence the leak of clutch hydraulic fluid even in the case of proper installation of the slave cylinder.

This is not a design or manufacturing flaw of Sherco - many brands can have this happen, and i have seen it before - I knew to watch for it by previous experience.

In any case, this should be a simple remove and replace fix of a few cheap parts(on behalf of the dealer) and you should be back to fuel-injected bliss aboard your Sherco.

Hi all,

The slave oring was nicked and fluid was passing. That was shercos poor quality control with the reassembly. That problem fixed and still the clutch wouldnt disengage.

Sunstate riped the clutch apart and found the main nut that fastens the clutchbasket assembly to the shaft was overtightened, maybe with a rattle gun ??, and there was no freeplay between the inner and outer basket housing. Once spaced and freeplay restored the clutch worked.

I have not had a chace to put it threw its paces because of bad weather so fingers crossed all is sorted.

Stay tuned

That was shercos poor quality control with the reassembly.

Be careful - it was you Sherco DEALER with poor attention to detail on assembly, and clearly they didn't test ride it and look for leaks either. The Sherco factory is right there with the Japanese for actual QC, in my opinion.

Sunstate riped the clutch apart and found the main nut that fastens the clutchbasket assembly to the shaft was overtightened, maybe with a rattle gun ??, and there was no freeplay between the inner and outer basket housing. Once spaced and freeplay restored the clutch worked.

RED FLAG! If the nut that holds the clutch assembly on the mainshaft of the transmission was over tightened, or even tightened properly, the whole assembly should still operate as intended. If that nut is somhow clamping the clutch hub against the basket and not allowing things to rotate freely, something else is WRONG.

There is a thrustwasher on the backside of the basket, and also one between the inner hub and basket - I highly suspect someone has gotten the assembly stacked wrong, with one of the washers caught on a shoulder of the mainshaft or something.

Loosening the nut to get the clutch assembly to spin is a BIG indicator that something is very, very wrong and you should completely disassemble it all, and reassemble it in the sequence indicated by the microfiche(available online at Sherco's website) to be sure that there isnt a washer or thrustbearing or something missing in there.

If they were sloppy enough to have missed the o-ring problem with the slave cylinder, there's a good chance they missed something silly when trying to work on the clutch too.

Thanks for the advise thillsam,

The sherco importer did the engine work them selves being my 5.1 was the first to fail in Auz. Sunstate only fitted the enginge back in the frame so the werent likely to notice a tiny leak at the time .I highly suspect sherco let the apprentice loose on it.

As for the clutch assembly, you are correct in what you say. Im fairly sure the head mac at sunstate spaced the parts as required.

Do you think the overtightening and lack of spacing could damage the shaft ,bearings or seals in that assembly ???

This bike is one of the best Ive ridden and I dont want to have to throw this bike back at them but I cant keep driving it up and down the coast on a trailer to get it fixed.

Fingers crossed all the problems have been ironed out.

Looks like a few bugs to sort out yet ??

Hi all,

I had a great ride yesterday, really enjoyed the bike and the tracks here at home. I was out for maybe 2 hours then returned home with a filthy machine covered in mud, accept for the alternator cover. It was fairly clean,, why was this I asked myself. Apon closer inspection I found it was covered in oil or clutch fluid. Ive cleaned it and today I will ride it in a cleaner inviroment to try to find where the leak is comming from.

Ive called both the dealer and the importer and talk about all the probs Ive been having and they are in dispute as to who done what on the engine.

I cautioned the dealer last time if anything else went wrong I was going to return the bike. I dont want to because there is nothing else I want,,,,accept maybe that 09 Husaberg, that looks awesome,,, so I think the bike will be going back to the shop once more.

Very disa:cry: pointing

Hi all and Snugdanno,

Glad to here you had a good ride and I'm sure the other problems will be small, hopefully same goes for mine.

Picked up my new bike yesterday from Sunstate, got it home and rode it a few k's on the road (registered) made a right hand turn and halfway through the corner the back wheel locked up and you can imagine what happen next. Pick myself and the bike off the road (how embarrassing) jump on the bike hit the go button and off i went, stunned.

Has anyone heard of this happening.

Any ideas what could of happen? :banghead:

(P.S I think it was the gear box that may have caused the lock up?)

Hi, me again.

Rode the bike again today to see if anything would happen and it did.

The back wheel locked up again, but this time I was able to pull the clutch in while I was skidding.

The motor was still running and even with the clutch in, the back wheel was still locked, another words the front sprocket wouldn't turn.:banghead:

Update on my bike.

Many thanks to Sherco Australia and Sunstate Motorcycles for their promp action in rectifying the problem.

Motor has gone back to Sherco Australia, as I was advised that some bikes have had trouble with 3rd gear, so everything should be fine when I get my bike back.

Then I can go riding and enjoy the pleasures of the Sherco and its grunt power.

Feels like a sensational bike to ride, suites me real well 167cm 80kg and I can't believe how light it is for a big thumper, especially after riding a 132kg wr400 1999 model.

See ya.

• 2 weeks later...

Motor has gone back to Sherco Australia, as I was advised that some bikes have had trouble with 3rd gear, so everything should be fine when I get my bike back.

:busted:

I'm really sorry to hear of your bad luck. Not to throw salt in the wound, but mine is still running strong...report to come eventually...:banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Finally at last my 5.1 is back to new, no oil leaks , no probs touch wood.

In all Danny from Sunstate Moroochydor was brilliant, 9/10, and helped as much as he could so a big thanks to him. MotoCentrals support was good and they did as asked without hesitation but their times on getting things done or parts sent out needs to be addessed big time. At times it was very frustating to hear excuse after excuse as to why something hadnt been sent or was sent a week later that agreed. 5/10 for them.

Enough moaning, the bike is great and Im looking forward to enjoying it.:cool:

• 1 month later...

:confused:

Hello again,

Just a catch up on how things are going for me and my 5.1.

Im on my third magneto cover gasket and she is still leaking oil bad enough to leave 4 cm dia puddle on the ground when ever one stops. Add to this, the base gasket is clearly weeping oil from the back of the barrel area. I had suspected it was leaking for a short time because there was oil on the clutch cover side but because the mag gasket was leaking so much oil I wasnt sure if it was traveling around the back of the barrel. Now that the mag gasket is leaking in a lower spot I can see the barrel base gasket has a leak of its own. I guess this means the engine has to be pulled down again ???.

This will be my 6th trip to the shop in as many months. Like Ive said before, I love the way the bike rides but this cant keep happening. How is everyone else going with their sherco's. Well I hope

Dan M

• 6 months later...

Just a quick catch up on how things are going.

All the oil leaks have been fixed. As it turned out the leak was a loose banjo bolt tucked in behind the cylinder / barrel that feeds oil to the head. Wish Id seen that earlier. Motogroup central fixed that and gave her a total service for free so I'm really pleased with them. Big thanks to Don and crew.

A question ,,,, has anyone removed the tab on the throttle cam at the carb end of the cable, by the butterfly.

I've read this gives a fair bit more throttle and power.

Any thoughts

Just a quick catch up on how things are going.

All the oil leaks have been fixed. As it turned out the leak was a loose banjo bolt tucked in behind the cylinder / barrel that feeds oil to the head. Wish Id seen that earlier. Motogroup central fixed that and gave her a total service for free so I'm really pleased with them. Big thanks to Don and crew.

A question ,,,, has anyone removed the tab on the throttle cam at the carb end of the cable, by the butterfly.

I've read this gives a fair bit more throttle and power.

Any thoughts

Woo man... you don't want to cut a tab off the cam, you cut the tab off the black throttle cable support bracket to get full throttle.

If you need it, I'll take and post a photo of that.

C

Seeing as how pictures are worth a few gazillion words... here's a few pictures.

Throttle closed.

396966925_nQNdc-M.jpg

Throttle wide open.

396966912_cwFcR-M.jpg

You can see where the tab has been removed from the support bracket to allow the cam full 90° rotation.

C

Hi all,

Great to see some more messages about the Sherco 5.1.

My bike has been going great since the problems have been rectified.

In July, a couple of friends and I rode 4700 klm's in 10 days (with a support vehicle of course). Left everything standard except for gearing & tyres and how could I forget, an AIRHAWK add on seat cushion, really saved my but.

It was a fantastic ride starting at Dalby, Hungerford, Camerons Corner, Innamincka, Birdsville, across the Simpson Desert to Popell Corner, back to Birdsville, then back to Bundaberg. :D