Reactions to David Bailey's "Stand for Something" interview

i wish this company cared more about rider safety than profits...this thing is way too expensive

How much did you pay for your boots and helmet. How much is that noisy FMF or PC exhaust system?

$399 is a lot cheaper than a broken neck.

...yeah, with some pretty flowers and inspirational music and we'll superimpose David over some legs that work so that we all feel HAPPY!:censored:

C'mon, man. That's the whole point, the reality of the situation...this IS HIS LIFE!!! People don't respond to cheerful, positive messages. The only thing that people respond to these days is gore and reality. This is paralysis at it's ugliest: stuck in bed with bed sores, internal organ issues, and bankruptcy. Sorry it wasn't more "positive" for you and polished.

Exactly, these people don't realize that DB was only recently able to sit upright in bed. He almost died from infection and had to spend six weeks laying on his belly after numerous rounds of surgery on the pressure sores. What a way to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas.

How much did you pay for your boots and helmet. How much is that noisy FMF or PC exhaust system?

$399 is a lot cheaper than a broken neck.

Exactly.

There are a whole bunch of assinine posts on here about 450 MXer riders asking which pipe to buy. A bike that probably has more than enough power to begin with and the rider is only worried about the bling and increased sound So what if the pipe sticks out beyond the numberplate...it gets the job done doesn't it????

And don't get me started on the oil debates, bars, chains, sprockets, silicone coolant hoses, graffics (misspelled on purpose), and other stuff, that should have been quality components on the japanese bikes to begin with.

IMHO the money is better speant on safety equipment and supporting pro-OHV clubs.

So they safety device he is pushing sounds like a good idea, but what is his deal? Calling people out, trying to put the everyone on a guilt trip, begging and pleading to buy this product. Yeah it's unfortunate the guy was good and now he can't walk, but come on dude. The video as a whole seemed pretty pathetic to me. I bet if you showed this video to someone outside of the riding community, he would appear as just some sorry paraplegic trying to guilt-trip people into promoting a product. If you are trying to motivate and inspire someone to do something (especially paid professionals), it seems it would be more effective to do it in a positive way. It would have been a lot better if he had done this video outside, maybe at a track with some riders around him. Hell, he could even do it in his backyard with his kid standing next to a bike.

Dude, he was paralyzed and he's seeing a lot of other riders being put in the same circumstances. he was obviously really nervous to say what he had to say, but at the same time really felt it had to be said and is begging the riding community to start using neck braces.

Who cares if someone outside th riding community thought it would be pathetic. what the hell do they matter to us in this case??????????????

I think David Bailey should be commended for "standing for something":applause: :censored::ride:?:applause: :applause: :applause:and I hope he gets some acknowledgment. I know my son will be safer as a result of watching his video clip.

Maybe the ball has started to roll ? There was a short mention of it in the Tv coverage, although I can't remember the riders name who was wearing it.

It doesn't seem like the pros wear much at all in neck and spine protection department. Then again you wouldn't want to cover up all those sponsors logos now would you.

I believe he was really sick and has not been able to move around as much, that is why he is in his bed. I could be wrong. I am planning on reading up more about this and most likely ordering one shortly.

junior

The last I heard David Bailey was in dire need of surgery, his health has not been good. Several magazines were doing fund raisers to help David out. Kicking a guy when he is down is not cool, not cool at all.

&%$#@!. Where are you coming from dude? Do you have any industry knowledge at all. What DB is saying is that this is close to becoming a crisis. Super fast bikes, huge jumps, and the most talented riders ever (from am to pro) and this is a recipe for disaster. This is a wake-up call of sorts. Nascar went through this with the HANS device after #3 was killed. What if RC died of a broken neck this weekend? Do you think that would get some peoples attention?

Don't forget James Marshal, perhaps if he was wearing one of those gizmos he would still be with us today.

C'mon, man. That's the whole point, the reality of the situation...this IS HIS LIFE!!! People don't respond to cheerful, positive messages. The only thing that people respond to these days is gore and reality. This is paralysis at it's ugliest: stuck in bed with bed sores, internal organ issues, and bankruptcy. Sorry it wasn't more "positive" for you and polished.

You are telling me that, the ''gore and reality'' of the way the interview was held was a positive step for promoting our sport? Depression, darkness, mental issues and severely disabled are all attributes to a successful message? Are you serious?

It is in my opinion, scaremongering with little scientific evidence to show how the brace will prevent neck injuries. That is the very reason he held the interview. Whether or not DB has connections with Leatt, but this is becoming rather suspicious to me. Hence we are seeing ''panic buy''. Check Doc Mark's responses.

I'm tried of hearing the ''better than nothing'' phrase. Or, ''Marshall and Fonseca wouldn't have be paralysed if they had wore the brace''. It's all BS and speculation. It it isn't better unless it is truly proven - at this stage, it is far too early to make any judgements. Like I said, I'm all for improving safety, but I'll wait.

Also, my biggest concern is the timing of the interview. I have a hard time believing DB did the interview for love of the sport and safety of all riders', the time when Leatt are undergoing heavy marketing and promotion. The timing of pro's wearing the brace? The timing of Doc Bodnar promotion of the brace? The timing of Leatt competitions? The timing of magazines making a fuss about it? The timing of message boards making a big deal out of it? Coincidence? Yeah right.

Additionally, if you look on Leatt's homepage, there's big banner in front of you linking to the DB interview. How could you all deny that he had no relations?! http://www.leatt-brace.com/

Don't get me wrong, I am not against this device or for DB speaking out about it. Matter of fact, I think it's a good idea that can help save lives. What I don't agree with is the way he brought this message to the public - sitting in a dark room in bed.

Even if this was supposed to be a private video (which I have heard) , why would it be linked on the front page of the company website right alongside the link to their stock quote?

Don't get me wrong, I am not against this device or for DB speaking out about it. Matter of fact, I think it's a good idea that can help save lives. What I don't agree with is the way he brought this message to the public - sitting in a dark room in bed.

Even if this was supposed to be a private video (which I have heard) , why would it be linked on the front page of the company website right alongside the link to their stock quote?

Come on.!..Have you seen some of the crap out on Google Video..? This is a video made with a point...and one that is centered around the safety of those that love the sport. The fact that is was not a huge production only furthers the validity of DB's true feelings. Why someone would think that this is all a marketing ploy, is sick. Maybe Leatt will offer DB a position as a spokesman...I think he would be great at it...The fact that a man, who is now paralyzed, is making a statement (regardless if he was paid a million, or zero, to do it) to hopefully keep others from his experiences, is enough said...Those with the negative comments should really question why they are posting negative comments to begin with...Sad, really...

And as for the linking to the video, anyone, with any website, anywhere can do that...I know I came across this video on another message board, not from the Leatt website. Fact is, they did to...and who could blame them from linking it. True, in this case, they will benefit...but, the previous topic stands.

So they safety device he is pushing sounds like a good idea, but what is his deal? Calling people out, trying to put the everyone on a guilt trip, begging and pleading to buy this product. Yeah it's unfortunate the guy was good and now he can't walk, but come on dude. The video as a whole seemed pretty pathetic to me. I bet if you showed this video to someone outside of the riding community, he would appear as just some sorry paraplegic trying to guilt-trip people into promoting a product. If you are trying to motivate and inspire someone to do something (especially paid professionals), it seems it would be more effective to do it in a positive way. It would have been a lot better if he had done this video outside, maybe at a track with some riders around him. Hell, he could even do it in his backyard with his kid standing next to a bike.

And the winner of the I can think it and I'm dumb enough to say it award goes to... :censored:

I agree with the original poster to some degree. In my opinion, he looked depressed and could do with some therapy. I'm all for improving and raising awareness of riders' safety, but I feel that, the video could have been handled far better - a dark setting in a room on a bed?! Come on. Maybe something more positive and brighter would've been better encouraged and suitable for holding such interview.

And the runner up is... :ride:

In this day and age Gore and reality is what works. Look at all the anti smoking adds on tv. You have some cute little kid saying "my mother was killed by second hand smoke" or a mother saying" my son was killes dy a drunk driver" they have spent millions on marketing to find out what works.

Who cares wether or not David Bailey has a conection with leatt.I think it's far more meaningful to have a person who was in the sport and severly injured in a way that MAY have been prevented by a particular device. Than to have some phony paid actor with fake paralysis saying buy this product.

Who cares about timing, gotta get the word out sometime.The quicker the better if the products good. Sell more braces, get more info on how to make them even better. It also should help to make the price come down.

Just as it's speculation that Marshal or fonseca could have been saved by this brace it is also speculation that they wouldn't have. I haven't seen any information that the brace is causing any injuries. If I have to pick sides i'm going to side with safety. If there is no proof that the brace causes injury I can't see why you wouldn't want to wear one. The option of not wearing this brace certainly does not up your odds any. Safty should be the #1 concern.

This brace looks pretty good! If somthing better comes out which I'm sure it will, I'll take a look at that too. People want to wait.. wait.. I know people who don't wear their seatbelts because some bonehead gets ejected out the side window of a car and lives, and then swears he never would have survived the crash if he had his seatbealt on.

&%$#@!. Where are you coming from dude? Do you have any industry knowledge at all. What DB is saying is that this is close to becoming a crisis. Super fast bikes, huge jumps, and the most talented riders ever (from am to pro) and this is a recipe for disaster. This is a wake-up call of sorts. Nascar went through this with the HANS device after #3 was killed. What if RC died of a broken neck this weekend? Do you think that would get some peoples attention?

Thank you, I agree.

You are telling me that, the ''gore and reality'' of the way the interview was held was a positive step for promoting our sport? Depression, darkness, mental issues and severely disabled are all attributes to a successful message? Are you serious?

u

This isn't about "promoting our sport". It's about safety within our sport.

You're getting all hung up in the possibillities that he may have financial ties to the brace. Most, if not damn near all of us here, DON'T CARE if he has ties to the brace.

Read this slowly: It's about safety...PERIOD.

Sure, someone is making money off of it. I don't care. If it prevents one guy from getting paralyzed for life (either by wearing it or just by slowing down), IT'S A GOOD MESSAGE. Even if the brace doesn't do a damn thing, it tells all of us that we can get seriously hurt doing what we love. That's a message, no matter how "depressing or dark" it is for you, can't be said enough.

But you go ahead, and keep this very realistic message from your kids (because it so "dark") and just show them the happy, cheerful, and carefree "I wanna ride" commercials. Because, no one ever gets hurt riding motorcycles.:censored:

even if he is promoting this directly or indirectly-he's right.As far as calling out these guys,he's right.The price on this product isn't that bad at all considering that people willingly fork over $500-$1000 dollars for these exhaust systems that do little.I'll take the safety first approach...