Husaberg FC550 - Enduro Bike?

On the brink of purchasing an 01' FC550 with a Revloc clutch. I ride rocky enduros in Colorado/Utah and I am attracted to the promise of Berg tractor-like power, light feel and good stock hardware for the price.

But I have also heard about FC550 reliability problems (prior to KTM), that this bike is way too much bike cc in technical sections (Revloc should help), the engine wears way too early (valves & cam chain), and it does not like being bulldogged (overheats).

Can a guy campaign this bike succesfully on the enduro circuit? Or is it only an open-class MX bike? Anyone tried this?

I campained the RMEC on my 03 CRF450 and it was miserable. I had quite a few probs with the bike. Mostly it is too heavy and at the end of an enduro in the A or B sectons I was worn out. The last section of Upton on the 450 convinced me to ride a 2 stroke again for enduro's.

The few advantages of a 4st for enduro's (tight long ones) are outweighed by the plusses of a 250 2st IMO.

Tin

Do youself a favor. Yes Husies are great when they run. You'll have trouble finding people who can work on them and down time in getting parts. I have a 02 sitting in the garage since LAST spring, the engine pulled out waiting to be rebuildt. Part of the issue is the cost, $3500 to rebuild. I bought the bike for $3800 have ridden it 5 or 6 times and after every ride it needed something fixed. I knew it needed work when I bought it but this is just crazy. I have about $4300 into and it sits in the garage engine out of the chassis. For about the same money I could be riding a Brand New 07 DRZ400. Yes the DRZ will never impress anyone the way a Husaberg will BUT... you WILL be riding it alot more and that's why I bought the bike. Now instead I do all my riding on my XT350 or CRF230. Don't get me wrong I love riding both of these bikes and I loved every minute I rode the Husaberg. But I'd like to be riding the Berg instead of waiting for parts or finding some one to fix it. Which would you prefer?!

I just recently picked up a 1999 Husaberg from another member here. (Thanks toomanykaws!) No wheels. Dunno how long since it had run - but I trucked it home - went over it replaced about 15 bucks worth of parts - topped off fluids and flailed away at the kick starter a few times and 'lo she came to life. :censored:

OMG what a bark - the torque when I blipped the throttle wanted to twist her right off the stand. :applause:

So it's a little different than the jap bikes we all know and love - that's why I bought it - it's something different. A true beast.? Sure I'll keep the jap bikes for the smooth reliability - but wow this thing has personality...

I can't wait 'til the wheels I bought show up and I can actually take her out for a spin :applause::moon::ride::applause:

husuberg02.jpg

ive always liked bergs ever since i rode the very fist 499mx.they are very fast in the old school thumper fast way.

however they are extremely unreliable.in a breaking rocker arms sort of way.

my buddy mike knup rode bergs for years and was the biggest defender of them.

he finally gave up after pushing multiple different bergs out of the woods or back to the truck.we are talking new or still like new bikes.