Sign in to follow this  

Lighting Coil/Stator for a 2007 YZ250

Just wondering what Lighting Coils/Stators you guys would use on a 2007 Yamaha YZ250? I am having trouble in locating one!

Cheers

MitchMan

moose makes a 45 watt coil for the 06, i'm sure that will bolt right onto the 07. search this 2 stroke forum, i have seen some other threads with htis info already posted.

Just wondering what Lighting Coils/Stators you guys would use on a 2007 Yamaha YZ250? I am having trouble in locating one!

Cheers

MitchMan

If you're serious about night riding, don't waste your money on anything other than the e-line unit. Their site only lists up to 05 but it'll fit an 07. I hear they're getting hard to come by though...

http://www.elineaccessories.com

Anyone had success with an electrosport lighting coil? Cheap! But apparently they don't work, and the moose one is the same coil?

Also this post is interesting, can anyone verify if it's viable? Might be the best way yet:

I've done this a couple of times on 2-stroker's and your going to want to rectify it to DC voltage to save money on burnt out bulbs. At low rpms there isn't enough power and it will be really dim and burn out the bulb, and at high rpm there is too much power and it will be really bright and burn out the bulb.

I’m looking at the service manual for your bike right now and you should be able to tap into the AC out put somewhere after the wires leave the stator cover, install a Parts Unlimited or Mouse (same thing just ones cheaper) rectifying regulator and just like magic you’ve got a DC power source. As long as your just dealing with lights there should be more than enough power to go around. If you start messing with the windings in the stator, unless you’re a pro or a mechanical engineer, you are going to fry your stator, and they’re not cheap.

(2006 YZ 250)

electro sport is making a 40 watt coil for the 07 yz250.

i am beta testing one right now,so far it has worked flawlessly.not alot of light power but will get you back to camp after dark.

the 2006 will not fit as there are changes to the stator area in 2007.

Why did they bother changing that I wonder. Ever hear of an 05 or 06 electrosport working?

So what about this "tap into the AC output" ?

the earlier model stators do not fit a 2007 yz 250,i tried.they are completly different.the ac output for the tps is only about 5 watts.

the prototype electrosport i am testing is working great.easy install and provides adequate emergency light while reving slightly.they are also a great company to deal with.

this stator is not adequate for night riding just for emergency.

the reason i have it is for compliance,in alberta you need light to ride on crown land.

thanks cj

I am looking to do the same thing as I already have a street title :thumbsup: for my 01 YZ Supermoto.

The word I am getting is the coil will power the headlight and a replaceable AA battery pack will power the tail light/stop light LEDs.

my coil runs a 20 watt flood aand a 20 watt pencil front lights.the rear is a led running and brake light,they take maybe 2 watts.this lighting would not be street legal,not enough power for the front lights with high beam and all.

I would go with the eline - 200W...that way you can actually USE the lights. Imagine thinking you have lights and going out in the dark only to discover your lights don't work for $hit or go out within a few minutes as your battery drains!

Looking for a bolt on lighting coli of some sort to power my Trail Tech GPS on my 2005 YZ250...Anyone make a low wattage coil that will work for this low current application..?

I put a Hodgkins unit on my YZ.  Plenty of juice, and might be overkill if you just want power to run a GPS.  If it's just for the GPS I would mount a fender pack with a good size rechargable lithium ion battery in it.  That would be far, FAR less complicated than any stator install.

While Hodgkins' external stator is cool, it took me a long time (and a lot of $$$) to get it all set up, and it's still not perfect (electrical system needs tweaking).

Keep in mind that any stator install you do will require a regulator/rectifier, a battery, and a load of wire and connectors to get it all set up nicely.

I will say though, if you ever want to set up lights on the bike... a stator from hodgkins is the way to go.

Obligitory pics:

photobucket-2661-1338756217580.jpg

photobucket-1967-1342022826228.jpg

• Like 1

Right, I'm looking at getting a high powered night riding setup on there.  My concern is adding a lot of flywheel weight to the system.

Adding up everything to get the lights set up.  Looking like about $1,000 for the stator kit, lights, rect/reg, battery.  I wonder if I'm just better off doing a battery operated kit, or even a couple emitters, and carrying an extra battery.

I still don't believe more can't be done with the stock stator.